Training Room - Need Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Our small company has recently relocated.

We'd like to purchase a projector, mount, and screen for our training room. We have a budget of $1,200.

We have three rows of tables and 24 chairs.

Questions:
Shelf or Suspended
Location of A/V equipment
Speakers: Wall mount and run cable on wall or drop in cans w/ I presume some sort of amplifier or receiver
# of speakers
Brand of projector screen (the wall has a whiteboard)

The safety manager are partial to Epson based on the reviews here, amazon and consumer reports. We were hoping to find a decent one for $400-$800 so it leaves us budget for screen and cables
I've begun transferring everything to digital media but have a lot to do.

Current equipment:
Dell 2200MP.
Sony DVD/VCR SLV-D37DP
JVC 27" AV-27FA44
Dell laptop with VGA out
Logitech 2.1 speakers w/ Sub connected via 3.5 mm stereo plug/jack and extension
When we put it at the back of the training room around 90" high it produces an image of 104" wide X 72" height (~126.5" diagonal). But the keystone doesn't take out the trapezoid effect (smaller on top then the bottom of the screen by 6")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 15

The best PJ for the job will depend on the minimum resolution you need. 800x600 SVGA will be the cheapest options(hitting the $400 end of your budget). With XGA/WXGA (1024x768/1280x800) at around the $500 and full 1920x1080 at the full $800 price range(@$900 max and you go from 2 options at this range to 6). While still having the needed brightness to overcome some ambient light at the size you plan to project.

post #3 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Will a Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 710HD 720p 3LCD Projector - Refurbished work? It's only $349
http://www.frys.com/product/7889679
post #4 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
If this is a long term installation in an office, then you should put the projector at the proper location in the room to fill a screen or the wall appropriately. If using a white wall (bad, not very professional) or if you are using a screen, then you need to plan on at least 80 lumens per square foot of screen space. Call it a 10' diagonal and you have about a 50 square foot screen so a 4,000 lumen projector would be the minimum recommended.

Unfortunately, Epson is not known for making terribly bright projectors, but is a market leader for short throw white-board type projectors between 2,500 and 3,000 lumens. They tend to be cheap, and decent enough in quality, but completely ill-suited for a larger conference room screen.

You can expect poor results if you go with a screen that is far too large for the brightness of the projector.

Here is a list of sub $2,000 Epson projectors (widescreen, digital input)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=1&st=1&lng=1&mfg=Epson&p=200&p=2000&w=&r=&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=Wide+%2816%3A9-10%29&dvi=2&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=%24

Here is that same list, with a restriction of at least 4,000 lumens:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=1&st=1&lng=1&mfg=Epson&p=200&p=2000&w=&r=&br=4000&br=40000&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=Wide+%2816%3A9-10%29&dvi=2&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=%24

You can see we drop from 41 models to 4 models. This is because Epson simply doesn't even try to reach into the brighter models at a good price point like many other manufacturers will do.

Removing the requirement for it being Epson...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=1&st=1&lng=1&mfg=&p=200&p=2000&w=&r=&br=4000&br=40000&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=Wide+%2816%3A9-10%29&dvi=2&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=%24

Not a single model is under $1,000 with that light requirement.

Bottom line is that you MUST get the projector closer. You really need more of a budget, and you aren't being realistic about your expectations if you go with some projector that is lower in brightness for any budgetary reason unless you also go smaller in screen size.

You don't get to choose your projection distance at your non-existent budget, you just have to work with whatever projector your have can produce from a certain distance and wire accordingly.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

First off Happy Thanksgiving, and I'm thankful for AV_Integrated and Kreationz lending a helping hand.

The lease is for seven years and after our recent move don't think the owner will want to do it again. We were at our last place for 20 years. We definitely need a screen because the glare from the dry erase board just tosses the light back in your eyes and floods the room with lots of light.

I think I'm getting the picture now.

If we move the projector closer we do a few things -

make the total projected squared footage less
require less lumens
require a smaller screen
it'll have to be suspended (answers that)

Taking a second look at the list of 4000 lumen+ this one pops out it's $899 I have a 10% coupon too:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-1412&ref=2530xd&z=1

going this route doesn't leave a lot for cables and screen. I think after a 6x8 screen that would be it of the budget. I'd have to bring in some cables of my own until I could slip some by at a later junction.

Later on down the line I guess I can do the rest little by little.

Thinking it over I think I should pitch two scenarios to see if I can get more of a budget. Especially if I can get a Dell. For some odd reason they don't mind if I use the credit as much as a large purchase. I'm hoping if I can go this way they'll give me more for the project.

So scenario 1 is:

Mount projector somewhere in the middle of the training room 8' - 10' away from the target wall. Getting a less then 4000 lumen projector, and a small screen.
So I'll need a mount. If I get a Dell should I pay Dell price and get a Dell mount from them? or should I go with a recommended universal brand?
I'll get our electrician to put a box above the drop tile ceiling where it's going for power, should I put a small UPS with it? I wonder where I would put it, I don't know the weight limit of the ceiling grid. I have an extra APC I just dropped a fresh 12v7ah battery in.
Route the cables above the ceiling to the a/v equipment (I think I'll need to attach it to the support wires not lay it across the tiles)
fish them down the wall (so I'll need cable rated for wall installation) Should I run straight cables or should I terminate with some of those plates from monoprice? Maybe that'll depend on budget. But I like less connections, less headache.
Cables will need to be at least 18' (10'+8') plus distance from wall to equipment. I presume HDMI, vga, component and 1 set of RCA, maybe S-Vid?, 1 cat5/6. All monoprice.

Scenario 2: GO BIG
Mount the project in the back of the room
I'll have to move the equipment to the back of the room to keep the runs shorter
If I go big on the projector 4000+ Lumen and a screen I'll have to cheap it on shelf, and just run the cables along the outside of the wall and move the equipment to the back of the room to be closer. Shorter cables, less money.

Thanks again,

SC
post #6 of 16 Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to stick to the professional numbers and simply lay out the facts, not do guesswork.

1. If you are dealing with a plenum space above the grid then you MAY NOT put electrical boxes above it.

2. Plenum above grid means you must use plenum rated cables, not 'whatever you happen to have'.

3. You should anchor any projector mount to the ceiling, not tie it off to anything else or tie it to the grid. This is typical of building code.

4. You need a suspended ceiling projection kit: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=chief+suspended+ceiling&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=chief+cma440&_sacat=0 - The Chief CMA-440 is great, and can be had for under $100 easily via eBay.

5. I would recommend the Chief RPMAU mount, or similar: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=chief+cma440&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.Xchief+rpmau&_nkw=chief+rpmau&_sacat=0 There is one on there for $75 right now and that is a heck of a buy!

6. Dell is a very questionable brand. Like Acer and Viewsonic they don't have long term support for what they sell and they have weak to poor engineering, so I would recommend a warranty.

7. If you are getting a retractable screen, then your budget affords you a garbage motorized screen... maybe, or more realistically affords you a manual pull down screen. You should be purchasing 16:10 format for the screen, not a 6x8 screen. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-Elite-Manual-Series-M109UWX-109-inch-109-16-10-Projection-Screen-/221292634587?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item338611a1db - http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&catid=2&Itemid=15&lang=en#5-model-s
Fortunately, there are some larger sizes of manual 16:10 screens available, but you should plan on this being a $300 or so purchase at least for a 'cheap' screen.

8. Audio still really hasn't been addressed and may want to be something which is considered. There are some good choices out there for amplification which can reside at the projector, and in-ceiling speakers which are plenum rated.

Finally, in all of this, you have to figure out what is actually desired. Whether you want this to be a bottom of the line, scraping the barrel installation or do you want it to be a installed product which is worthy of years of service that you will be happy with? The budget is being set without knowing any information at all, and that's frankly, bad business. If you sell something, I'm sure you run into it all the time that people are surprised at how much your service may cost. But, if you want quality, you have to adjust your budget based on the quality you want and expect for the long term, not just for the moment.

I would strongly encourage that you actually get quotes from a couple of nearby A/V companies to get a realistic picture of what a professional company would charge for one of the most basic installations available. Insist upon widescreen and at least a 120" diagonal and see what type of responses you get. I would expect a number closer to $5,000 or more from a typical A/V company for this as a 'realistic' number.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 PM

Liked: 15

Plenum vs non-plenum (have to "love" building codes)... If going with a pro-install, it WILL be insisted they are followed. You WILL be fined if the building gets inspected and they are not up to code. For a commercial installation, I do recommend going with the codes(hence the recommendation for a pro). Basically, cheap, your looking at a low-end portable type system w/no in-wall/in-ceiling wiring(to stay code compliant). Up the budget, and you can get a nice permanent solution(w/pro help). Is professional help an absolute neccessity? No. However, without all the details, it would be recommended and some pros will give you a free estimate(or charge a low fee), after which you can go the DIY route once you know all the components you'll need(and preferable with an electrician handy for wiring).

P.S. I also realize AV_Integrated is a pro who does this for a living. Personally, I generally only recommend professional help with commercial installs(you want to wow potential clients and make certain your up to code) or installs with higher budget in non-commercial situations(to get the most out of higher end equipment). The one BIG plus to a pro is that they are generally bonded/insured and if something goes wrong your covered and they also know the building codes to make sure you don't end up with fine down the road(especially in the case of a multi-unit building with other tenants which is typical for office settings).

post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

1. It's non-plenum, per the contractor who did the TI's, confirmed by the owner and the building inspector

2. Gotcha

3. Agreed. I wasn't clear on the ceiling installation kit, but on the recommendation on #4 I can clearly see the support wires.

4. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank your for the solid recommendation. The drop tile ceiling is 9'-2", the joists which the drop tile ceiling is anchored is 18'-3" (give or take a few inches). So I'll need additional 14-gauge wire. Kit comes with 20'.

5. I missed the one on there for $75. I'll keep my eyes in case another one of similar price pops up.

6. I don't have any experience with projectors except the small MP 2200 we've had for years, which IMO is no experience. I'll have to factor the warranty in going that route.

7. Yes a pull down screen is fine. I was basing the 6x8 on the original guesswork you've advised to avoid.

8. I was very curios how to keep this simple with attempting to get a Home Theater type receiver. I saw these locally 6-1/2 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers new for $40 and it occurred to me, nice you found speakers...now how do you drive them?

I'll use exactly what you are saying to drive the point home - it just makes sense!
Quote:
Finally, in all of this, you have to figure out what is actually desired. Whether you want this to be a bottom of the line, scraping the barrel installation or do you want it to be a installed product which is worthy of years of service that you will be happy with? The budget is being set without knowing any information at all, and that's frankly, bad business. If you sell something, I'm sure you run into it all the time that people are surprised at how much your service may cost. But, if you want quality, you have to adjust your budget based on the quality you want and expect for the long term, not just for the moment.
You are right on the nose, $5,000 was the first quote I got. I called one other close by unknown vendor and it was $6,000. Of course both were sight unseen with me just giving a description without as much information I have now. I didn't want to waste their time because I know they owner wouldn't commit.

I don't want to cut corners and be responsible for the building burning down, code violations or anything of the like.

I think I may take your advice and pay for a professional consultation. I'm sure if I know exactly what we need equipment wise, how it goes together, the owner has a few construction/carpenters on the payroll. A few maintenance technicians that run cable. The electrician we use will install what we need to code, he's not on the payroll but I know he'll be by soon to do some other work.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond. Your knowledge shows. Thank you again,

-SC
post #9 of 16 Old 11-30-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

If the space is not plenum, then you have a lot more leeway with what you do.

For a budget installation, you should look for a small amplifier which can be fed off the output from the projector. Most cheaper projectors have a 'audio out' port. Often a 1/8" mini-stereo connector. You connect that to an amp that sits above the projector, or in this case it can sit in the ceiling. Then you run 2-4 speakers off that amp in the room.

The remote that turns on/off the projector also will be able to turn the volume up/down and it works very well and is truly a budget-conscious way of doing things. I did an installation of this type a few years ago and I was very impressed with the final result. It was actually a relocation and the original installers had mis-wired the sound terribly. When I reinstalled the system and corrected the wiring, the speakers were surprisingly loud and clear (they were quiet and poor sounding before). So, I was happy to see how a small amp can deliver reasonable volume within a training room. It won't ever rock your world, but that's in line with your budget.

As well, this type of addition (speakers/amp) can be added later as budget allows. Focus on the screen link I already provided and get the projector and mount in place.

You need to figure out what type of connections you want and you can have the electrician put them in the wall. Be aware that distance and HDMI aren't friends and multiple connections really start to have an issue, so you may want to consider a HDBaseT extender instead of running a long HDMI cable. There are some options for a bunch of stuff at www.monoprice.com

Oh, and Monoprice has ceiling speakers and sells ceiling tile brackets which allow their non-plenum rated speakers to hang across a ceiling grid without the grid getting destroyed. $100 a pair with the supports isn't bad at all.

Not sure what amp I used, but I believe Parts Express may have some tiny amps that are about 30 watts and may be exactly what you need for about $100 or so. $300 in speakers, a $300 screen, a $900 projector, a 120" manual screen for $250. About $1,800 and you will still need wiring. That's what I would consider absolute bottom of the line appropriate. Call it $2,200 for all the parts, and then the installation work can begin. Why $5,000 from a pro-installer? About 2-guys for one full day (16 hours of labor) - $1,600. Then equipment that is not the 'cheapest' out there and some markup so equipment at about $3,400. That's about perfect.

post #10 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

"As well, this type of addition (speakers/amp) can be added later as budget allows. Focus on the screen link I already provided and get the projector and mount in place."
Well the owner is going to bring a "huge screen" and it's manual pull down. Good for budget...but asked about the brand/name but he said he'll find it. I asked how huge he said like 6'x9', but when I said it's 6'x9', he said I never said that lol. What's huge in your movie room may not be so huge in the training room. it's so I guess I'm going to get stuck with it but that's ok one less thing to buy if it's the right size and 16:9 either way it's now an unknown.

I searched over at parts-express, and I realized there are a ton of options.
http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-4x45w-mini-amplifier-with-remote-usb-mp3-sd-fm--310-304
http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pmsa20-50-watt-pa-mini-amplifier--310-2436

I don't even know if these will work as you described "The remote that turns on/off the projector also will be able to turn the volume up/down"

Good news is the electrician is putting in the electrical with a loop so we can move the projector a few tiles. He also said he's installed a few for schools.

He says he can install the supports for the chief suspension kit. I'll need some additional support cable do to the height of the joists.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/pallet-rack/accessories/aircraft-cable-50-feet

The total run from PJ to where equipment is going to be is 23' (actually it's 22'9") So was going to order 25' cables for everything which leads me back to - faceplate termination or single cable for each kind of connection. I was thinking one of each - HDMI, RCA (r,w,y), 3.5 mm and VGA. The cat 6 is already above the projector terminated with an ice cube (plug).

If you have the link of the speakers I should get I'll just go by what you suggest. Is there any links on placement? I imagine the speakers a few feet off the wall and somewhat symmetrical. I'll need some speaker cable as well.

The electrician will be back next the next two Fridays or Saturdays so I'd like to get it all ordered tonight.

About 2-guys for one full day (16 hours of labor) - $1,600. Then equipment that is not the 'cheapest' out there and some markup so equipment at about $3,400. That's about perfect.
When I get the screen I'll have the construction guys hang it.

The electrician is putting in the electrical right now he said he'll help me with the rest if I get it ordered.

The list of any brand PJ from $200 to $1,500 with 4k lumen is 12. I don't know where the prices are from but I may be able to get a coupon somewhere or price match to bring down a more expensive one (if possible.)

-SC
post #11 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I would get this amp: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

It's a bit more expensive, but it is stable to 4 ohms, it is compact in size, and it has a good power rating. It is small enough to store up with the projector/above the ceiling without any issues and should provide decent power.

For speakers:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4104&seq=1&format=2

I think they are on sale right now at that price ($55 a pair!)... Get two pairs for even room coverage.

You will need two sets of ceiling brackets as well:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090303&p_id=6033&seq=1&format=2

You should be able to get by just fine with 16AWG speaker cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2823&seq=1&format=2

So, about $250-$300 to take care of the sound and have it sound pretty darn good in the room for years and years.

For your video runs, I would go straight from a wall plate to the projector. Don't put a plate in the ceiling as that introduces a failure point, but at the wall you will need a solid connection for HDMI, VGA, and A/V. While I would recommend a custom wall plate, they typically run over $100. So, use keystone connectors with Decora plates to get your connectivity.

Actually, looking at the C2G website, they have this page:
http://www.cablestogo.com/category/wall-plates/dual-gang-wall-plates/dg-av-wall-plates

The first product can be paired with a HDMI keystone jack to give you all the connectivity you need to the projector for under $30.00:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/40965

Or something like this may be better:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/41028

Paired with this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=7330&seq=1&format=2

Then I look around a bit and change my mind...
I would get this:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/41025
and this:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/41043

While a bit pricier, especially on the HDMI connection, it is made from steel which means that it won't flex, bend, and break after years of use.

post #12 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You really want to limit your list of projectors to widescreen formats only.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=200&p=1200&w=&r=&br=4000&br=10000&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=Wide+%2816%3A9-10%29&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=pop&sz=15

The Optoma W401 from the above link is one that I would strongly consider. It's brand new, very bright, and from a reputable manufacturer.

Under $1,000 from AGI: http://www.audiogeneral.com/Optoma/portable_widescreen.php

I've bought from AGI, Visual Apex, and Projector People and all three etailers have delivered with excellent service.

The Dell you linked previously isn't my favorite brand, but has a very solid price point.

post #13 of 16 Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sold out! What about http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-100a-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-50-wpc--300-383
***ORDERED*** ***ORDERED***
Quote:
You should be able to get by just fine with 16AWG speaker cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2823&seq=1&format=2
***ORDERED***

Quote:
Then I look around a bit and change my mind...
I would get this:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/41025
and this:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/41043
***ORDERED***

I saw this but I don't know if it's in stock till Monday and I wonder if it's cheaper because it's made cheaper. This is local and I can pickup. But I think I'm going to order the suggested because it'll be a done deal.
http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/301-hd001.php
Quote:
For your video runs, I would go straight from a wall plate to the projector. ...Don't put a plate in the ceiling as that introduces a failure point, but at the wall you will need a solid connection for HDMI, VGA, and A/V.
For the AV cables from projector into the ceiling? a riser tube? a wall gang box?

If it's a gang box does it attach to the Chief 440 ceiling bracket in one of the knockouts or do I need the last item I posted?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042510&p_id=4001&seq=1&format=2

Do I need a Decora wall plate for the two c2g wall terminations?
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/03728

and two of these? Are they kind of rickety? Is there a four prong version which holds tighter?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042507&p_id=7014&seq=1&format=2

For HDMI should I get 20, 22, 24 ga? I need at least 25' maybe I should go 30' just in case for all the cables.
What type of cables do you suggest from monoprice?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=647&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=4033&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10241&cs_id=1024101&p_id=2181&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10201&cs_id=1020107&p_id=6364&seq=1&format=2

Thanks again!

-SC
post #14 of 16 Old 12-07-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

You really want to limit your list of projectors to widescreen formats only.

The Optoma W401

...Visual Apex....
***ORDERED***
post #15 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

That amp is not 4 ohm stable. I looked at it first and would have recommended it if it was 4 ohm stable, but it specifically is listed as only being 8 ohm stable. That won't work with 2-pairs of speakers.

I would wait a couple of weeks for it to be back in stock (12/20/2013).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortChop View Post

I saw this but I don't know if it's in stock till Monday and I wonder if it's cheaper because it's made cheaper. This is local and I can pickup. But I think I'm going to order the suggested because it'll be a done deal.
http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/301-hd001.php
That's the same type that Monoprice is selling from what I can tell.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=7330&seq=1&format=2

$4 from Monoprice, $14.00 locally. That's why MP rocks!
Quote:

For the AV cables from projector into the ceiling? a riser tube? a wall gang box?
I typically try to take the cables up inside the 1.5" tube that supports the projector. Or, I zip-tie them to the projector and/or wrap them in snake skin.

Quote:

If it's a gang box does it attach to the Chief 440 ceiling bracket in one of the knockouts or do I need the last item I posted?
Generally, if I go to the ceiling, I will just pull the wires through a bullnose wallplate.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042509&p_id=3997&seq=1&format=2
The one you linked below is a double gang version instead of a single gang version and is excellent...
Quote:

Do I need a Decora wall plate for the two c2g wall terminations?
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/03728
Yes, but you can pick these up at Home Depot for less typically. Mulberry Metal has them and they look nicer and cost less.
Quote:

and two of these? Are they kind of rickety? Is there a four prong version which holds tighter?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042507&p_id=7014&seq=1&format=2
No, those are fine. They work very well actually. Carlon makes them as well (Home Depot, orange) and they work similarly and are perhaps a bit better built, but still two wings to hold the plate in place.
Quote:

For HDMI should I get 20, 22, 24 ga? I need at least 25' maybe I should go 30' just in case for all the cables.
What type of cables do you suggest from monoprice?

Yes on the following:
I would probably get this instead of what you linked for composite plus audio. This is listed as a component cable, but really amounts to a composite plus analog left/right cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023502&p_id=2855&seq=1&format=2

Likewise, I would recommend the SVGA cable of a bit heavier gauge, and with included 1/8" mini stereo jack...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10201&cs_id=1020105&p_id=3340&seq=1&format=2

Instead of these two separate cables:
BUT! - What you listed will work. It's more personal preference, and my leaning towards having a bit more quality if it only costs a few bucks more to get that added quality.

Don't forget, you will need jumper cables from the wall to the computers which may be in use, and you may need some adapters (DisplayPort->HDMI, DVI->HDMI, etc.)

post #16 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to add...

If the run is difficult, it is worthwhile to pull at least 1 or 2 pieces of cat5e or cat6 cable from the wall to the projector just in case you ever need to go to a HDBaseT solution.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Optoma W401 W401 3d Ready Dlp Projector 720p Hdtv 16 10 F 2 41 2 66 Secam Ntsc Pal 1280 X 800 Wxga 1
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page