Best way to mount projection screen to accomdate mounted TV behind? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So I have decided to make my own fixed DIY projection screen, but where I'm stuck is the best way to mount it in order for there to be a TV mounted behind it. I know some people get away with it by having a pull down screen, but I'm not going that route. I have thought about having some arms that hang slightly out from some studs and then have the upper frame hang on some hooks to keep it away from the wall a bit, but other than that, I'm sorta out of ideas.

The mount states it can collapse 2.5" away from the wall, and I'm just assuming the depth of the TV would be no more than 3", which would mean I would need about 6" of clearance before it hits the spandex material of the screen.

Does anyone have any ideas, experience, or general thoughts about how to make this happen successfully? Thanks for your input in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I would use shelf mounts from Home Depot/Lowes and put a set of screw eyes into them which I could hang the screen from. On the top of the screen I would use screw eyes as well, or some other similar mechanism that allows the screen to be moved out of the way in one of two methods.

1. Removing in completely. You will need help from someone typically, or a small step stool to hook on side onto a hook first, then mount the other side onto the hook. This will leave the screen very vulnerable to damage as it is constantly moved into and out of place and you will need a storage area large enough to support it.

2. Flip it up! Secure it permanently to the hooks on the wall and allow the rings it hangs from to let the bottom of the screen to flip up to the ceiling. Use a hook or two on the bottom of the screen and a hook on the ceiling, then when not in use, flip the screen up to the ceiling and hook it into place so it stays tight to the ceiling.

I don't consider either solution nearly as clean as a good tab-tensioned motorized screen, but if you don't have the budget for that, then option 2 above would be the one I would strive for.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I would use shelf mounts from Home Depot/Lowes and put a set of screw eyes into them which I could hang the screen from. On the top of the screen I would use screw eyes as well, or some other similar mechanism that allows the screen to be moved out of the way in one of two methods.

1. Removing in completely. You will need help from someone typically, or a small step stool to hook on side onto a hook first, then mount the other side onto the hook. This will leave the screen very vulnerable to damage as it is constantly moved into and out of place and you will need a storage area large enough to support it.

2. Flip it up! Secure it permanently to the hooks on the wall and allow the rings it hangs from to let the bottom of the screen to flip up to the ceiling. Use a hook or two on the bottom of the screen and a hook on the ceiling, then when not in use, flip the screen up to the ceiling and hook it into place so it stays tight to the ceiling.

I don't consider either solution nearly as clean as a good tab-tensioned motorized screen, but if you don't have the budget for that, then option 2 above would be the one I would strive for.

Thanks for the response! I really like that 2nd option that you mentioned. However, I'm not sure I follow you in your description with the screw eyes or how you describe mounting it to the wall. Do you have a deeper, more clearer explanation, or a web page that perhaps help explain it? I greatly appreciate the help!
post #4 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If you Google projection screen wall mount, you will get images like this:

Instead of leaving the hook open so the screen could slide on and off, you want to close it from a hook, to a full circle (a eye bolt) and that way the screen is locked onto the screen mount and can't come off when you raise or lower it. It acts as a hinge.

Think of it like a garden gate on springs. You open the door and it wants to close. So, to keep it open, you put a hook on the gate.

Instead, the hinges are on the mount and it attaches to the top of the screen. The hook is on the ceiling and connects to the bottom of the screen through an eye bolt.

Eye Bolt:

I would think of it like a swingset at a playground. Most hardware stores even sell specific 'swingset' hardware.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 859
then get real fancy and paint a mural on the back of your screen so it's not a huge eyesore when on the roof, haha...

I have to agree with AV, this really isn't going to look good(clean) no matter how you do it. this is exactly what the electric(or even manual pull down) screens were made for.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

If the space is non-objectionable for this mounting method, I would choose it 100% over a manual or non-tensioned electric screen. The results of a well made DiY screen with black velour border are much better than any of the non-tensioned roll up screens can provide. Even tab-tensioned roll up screens, for as good as they look, aren't as good as a fixed frame screen.

Certainly there may be some options to make this look 'decent' when stowed if not 'good'. Depends on what level of complexity one chooses.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

If the space is non-objectionable for this mounting method, I would choose it 100% over a manual or non-tensioned electric screen. The results of a well made DiY screen with black velour border are much better than any of the non-tensioned roll up screens can provide. Even tab-tensioned roll up screens, for as good as they look, aren't as good as a fixed frame screen.

Certainly there may be some options to make this look 'decent' when stowed if not 'good'. Depends on what level of complexity one chooses.

Thanks so much for the replies guys. To be honest, aesthetics aren't really my main focus. I really just want a TV behind the projection screen for when my wife wants to watch TV when she uses the treadmill and/or works out in the basement. Also, for quick viewing stuff when I don't want to power up the projector, I thought it would be nice to future proof since I'm making an acoustic transparent screen. I would say for the most part I would have the screen hang down over the TV when people are over watching.

I didn't want to go the tension or pull down because I've read too much stuff about rippling and etc. I know a DIY fixed is the way to go for quality.

So, my question is this about flipping the screen up. When I do flip it up and have some hooks screwed into the studs and then hook it to the bottom of the screen, do I need to worry about the wood warping or bending in any way? I plan on using poplar wood, a 96" screen, using 1x3, with two vertical supports inside to support the frame. Thoughts?
post #8 of 14 Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You need to mount the screen on two horizontal runners which would need to be mounted to two thick pieces of timber, thick enough to clear the depth of the tv. You can the slide the screen to the side exposing the tv behind it. Depending how wide your wall is and how big your screen is, you may need to place the tv to one side on the wall and not bang in the middle of the screen.
Think of the screen as a sliding wardrobe door and the tv as your clothes .....you slide the door open and you can get at your clothes, you slide the door shut and all you see is the door!
No chance of the screen warping using this method either.

Just an idea!
post #9 of 14 Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If we're getting crazy, you just need to hinge the whole setup in the center.

Pull the screen away from the wall 3 feet, then flip it over, push it back against the wall and you are good to go.

Wait! (You say) The flat panel will still be hidden!

No! (I say) You have to mount the flat panel to the back of the screen so that when you flip it over, the flat panel is now visible and ready for use.

Yep, that would be some crazy s#!t right there. biggrin.gif

post #10 of 14 Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I used a pull-down Da Lite Model C. Do you intend to take the projection screen down and put it someplace, or do you want to hinge it to the ceiling, so that you can flip it up and latch it to the ceiling (using some type of hinge mount on the ceiling?

Could mount screen to the wall, and do a swing-away TV that swings out in front of screen as well.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I used a pull-down Da Lite Model C. Do you intend to take the projection screen down and put it someplace, or do you want to hinge it to the ceiling, so that you can flip it up and latch it to the ceiling (using some type of hinge mount on the ceiling?

Could mount screen to the wall, and do a swing-away TV that swings out in front of screen as well.

Thanks again everyone for your replies. My original thinking before people posted their replies was to mount the screen and have it roughly 6-7 inches away from the wall by hanging the top of the frame on some arms that I would attach to the studs. I could then mount the TV behind the screen. There is an open wall right next to the wall I'm planning on using, so my thinking was that I could take the screen off the arms, have additional arms screwed into the studs on the other wall, and set it there. I don't want to get too crazy with this whole thing. I think the furthest I would go is the idea that people have about swinging the screen up and latch it to the ceiling. I don't think it sounds overly complicated, and that way I could avoid having the screen be in reach of kids or two sets of metal arms bolted into two walls.

My other option is this: Mounting the TV on the wall next to the projector.

post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 14
I had this set up for more than three years now and still using it everyday when I watch the movies with the fixed DIY curved screen.
Here is my old post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474178/benefits-to-combine-tv-and-ultra-wide-screen
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

My other option is this: Mounting the TV on the wall next to the projector.

In my old house I did exactly this. What we sat on was was a sofa for TV; and 2 la-z-boys for movies...if you looked from above the PJ wall, TV, sofa, and chairs all formed the sides of a perfect square. Worked great, although not the most attractive solution. Could also work with a sectional.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mounting it on two different walls would be the easiest, but then all the hookups with the surround sound system wouldn't fit with where the TV is placed. Ugh. This sucks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page