How likely am I to find a projector that would install at the same place in relation to the screen as my current projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm both about to move soon and about to need a new projector since mine is having some issues after 7 years of daily use.

I was wondering, if I install my current failing projector at the new place and then change it shortly after, how likely am I to find a new projector that would happen to install at the same place related to the screen (throw distance, offset, lens position) so I wouldn't have to make another set of holes for the new projector?

Am I best to simply get a new projector for the new place right away? I'd rather not have that additional expense in addition to the expenses of moving, but if I can't find another projector that installs at the same place relative to the screen I'd rather not have to make another set of holes.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Liked: 18
lot of sites have projector calculators. projector central as well as the manufacters site. Now, as for how accurate their calc will be YMMV! Will your new projector have lens shift?

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #3 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

If I start looking for projectors with lens shift that would definitely limit my choices but would obviously likely solve the issue.

I guess I mainly want to know, are throw distances and offsets (how much the projector has to be above or below the top of the screen) pretty standard from one model and brand to another or does it generally vary a lot?

Thanks
post #4 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Things vary, and sometimes vary a lot, but instead of guessing at all of this, why not just tell us what you have?

I mean, are you projecting from 25' away onto a 80" diagonal screen? Or, are you projecting from 12' away onto a 100" diagonal screen?

Give us the following:
YOUR CURRENT SCREEN SIZE (diagonal, in inches)
YOUR CURRENT PROJECTOR (brand/make/model)
YOUR CURRENT LENS TO SCREEN DISTANCE (In feet & inches)

Then, we will provide you a link with all the projectors that will work from that distance and let you know what works.

Right now the only answer is 'maybe', which is silly. There may be a ton of projectors which will work great.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Things vary, and sometimes vary a lot, but instead of guessing at all of this, why not just tell us what you have?

I mean, are you projecting from 25' away onto a 80" diagonal screen? Or, are you projecting from 12' away onto a 100" diagonal screen?

Give us the following:
YOUR CURRENT SCREEN SIZE (diagonal, in inches)
YOUR CURRENT PROJECTOR (brand/make/model)
YOUR CURRENT LENS TO SCREEN DISTANCE (In feet & inches)

Then, we will provide you a link with all the projectors that will work from that distance and let you know what works.

Right now the only answer is 'maybe', which is silly. There may be a ton of projectors which will work great.

My current screen size is 82" and the screen is 7 feet 8 inches away from the lens.

My projector is the Sharp DT-510.

I want a projector that is:
-A 5x DLP or faster (that's what my current projector is and the quality is incredible and no rainbows)
-1080p
-Around $750, but I might go to $1000 if my Sharp DT-510 lasts a few months more (I don't mind old discontinued models if they are good value for the money like my Sharp DT-510 was when I got it for under $800 about 7 years ago)

Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

My current screen size is 82" and the screen is 7 feet 8 inches away from the lens.

I want a projector that is:
-A 5x DLP or faster (that's what my current projector is and the quality is incredible and no rainbows)
-1080p
-Around $750, but I might go to $1000

82"? 7'8"? You're kind of limiting your choices there... I can only see one that could fit your description of needing 5x DLP or faster and 1080p, it's not $750, though. It's $897 now, but you might be able to find it on sale for less later. That's the BenQ W1070. (It's 6X DLP, 1080p, can also do 3D.)

According to it's calculator @ http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm you'll get a 82" picture with about 45 fL @ 7'8". (That's plenty bright, enough even for ambient light, but you can tame it lower for a darker room.)

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

82"? 7'8"? You're kind of limiting your choices there... I can only see one that could fit your description of needing 5x DLP or faster and 1080p, it's not $750, though. It's $897 now, but you might be able to find it on sale for less later. That's the BenQ W1070. (It's 6X DLP, 1080p, can also do 3D.)

According to it's calculator @ http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm you'll get a 82" picture with about 45 fL @ 7'8". (That's plenty bright, enough even for ambient light, but you can tame it lower for a darker room.)

I was actually going to update my reply saying a projector with even shorter throw might be better at my potential new location, I assume that makes the choices worst and not better (if we forget about finding one with a similar throw to mine)?

I don't know if it's just my impression because I've virtually never heard of them, but BenQ seems like a very cheap/low end/unreliable brand, just now I read about several having problems in that projector's thread. Ideally I'd prefer a reputable brand like Sharp and other well known brands.

What specs would I have to give up (or price I'd have to go up to) to have more choices (the throw must be as short or shorter than my DT-510)?

I'm thinking of replacing the colorwheel in my DT-510 either to extend its life and/or to increase its resale value, maybe I should try to keep my DT-510 for another year and consider upgrading next year?

By the way, what is it that makes a projector "3D"? Can't any projector be used for 3D with glasses?

Thanks
post #8 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Sharp used to be a pretty solid mid-tier projector brand, but for the most part their quality is about the same as everyone elses. The quality issues you see with the BenQ W1070 stem more from it being incredibly popular, than with actual higher than typical 'issues'. BenQ is not as aged as Sharp, but has a solid history in the home theater market and has over 40 models currently in production.

They are, I would argue, in line with Optoma and InFocus in terms of quality. I would say Mitsubishi and Sharp are a bit better, but neither has models that touch your price point really.

Now, if you have a 82" screen (very small!) then your lens is between 8'1" from the screen and 9'6" from the screen. It is NOT 7'8" from the screen. That's the simple reality of the lens which is on the projector you own.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/SharpVision-DT-510-projection-calculator-pro.htm

If we use those numbers, and go to a 1080p projector, then these are the models which can do 82" from 8.2 feet...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=1500&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=8.2&i=d&is=82&sort=pop&sz=15

Not a very long list, and I'm not sure you'd be comfortable with the LCD models after years with DLP.

With Mitsubishi exiting the projector arena, I would not consider them at this point, so your options in DLP are limited, and I certainly wouldn't consider Acer on tier with BenQ... Viewsonic perhaps being even worse.

No, the BenQ is, by far, the best choice of the options available unless you want to try that Mitsubishi out.
http://www.projectorpeople.com/Mitsubishi-HC7900DW/Projector/27782?sid=PCEL

It does not have a closer range, but about the same range as your Sharp.

If you want closer, then there is really only one name in a decent home theater 1080p projector: Once again: BenQ

The W1080ST is the ONLY real short throw 1080p home theater projector.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=500&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&sp=14&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=pop&sz=15

It can hit a 82" diagonal from 4'2" to 5' away from the screen. You better have a good screen to use something with that short of a throw distance.

As for modern 3D. You should read up on it, but we aren't using red/green glasses like we did 20 years ago with our TVs. Current 3D uses a full 1920x1080 image for each eye from Blu-ray Disc and you use active shutter glasses to get the 3D effect. So, no, not every projector can accept the 3D frame-packed or side-by-side formats (or similar) which modern 3D uses. Instead, you need a display (projector/plasma/LCD/etc.) which supports modern 3D formats and you will need active shutter glasses which specifically work with that display. Not every projector or TV uses the same type of glasses so you have to be aware of what you are purchasing.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

You're right, the screen is 7' 8" from the lens and the screen itself is 82" but the image is actually a few inches under 82".

You're also right that I want to stay with DLP, especially since my first was LCD and had horrible contrast and yellow burned in "stains" after only 1-2 years. My DLP's image looks as good today as it did 7 years ago, and looked way better than my LCD to begin with.

After looking at plans of where I'm thinking of moving again I realized that putting the home theater in another room would allow me to make a 110" screen with my DT-510 and I'd have room to put the projector even further back (though I "only" have enough space between the walls for a 110" screen).

At this point I'm thinking of changing the color wheel in my DT-510 (it technically died weeks ago but adding a few drops of lubricant to the color wheel motor made it work like new again, but I don't expect it to last) to get maybe another year of use out of it so I can afford something better later.

Are there any projector mounts that allow you to move the projector from side to side and towards and away from the screen without changing the mounting holes on the ceiling? Perhaps such a mount would be a smarter buy than trying to find a future projector that would mount exactly at the same place.

What do you think I should do, keep my DT-510 for another 6-12 months and use an adjustable mount to be ready for the next projector, or buy a cheaper projector now to use immediately at my new location? I'm perfectly happy with my DT-510, my only reason for wanting to change it is the color wheel issues it had plus I think I'd change the color wheel anyway to increase it's resale value.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 PM

Liked: 15

Sub-$1K and your looking at 2 models that mount at the same location as your current model(I wouldn't consider the Acer or ViewSonic). The W1070(already mentioned) and the Epson 2030(which is LCD). The W1070 is popular for a reason. It has some lens shift which allows more mounting locations and works for a good variety of setups. It will likely be the best model for what your looking for and AV_I is also correct in that the W1070ST would be the way to go for a shorter throw(Any particular reason for considering a shorter throw?).

P.S. With the W1070 you'll have a range of 70"-92" at 7'8"
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

post #11 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreationz View Post

Sub-$1K and your looking at 2 models that mount at the same location as your current model(I wouldn't consider the Acer or ViewSonic). The W1070(already mentioned) and the Epson 2030(which is LCD). The W1070 is popular for a reason. It has some lens shift which allows more mounting locations and works for a good variety of setups. It will likely be the best model for what your looking for and AV_I is also correct in that the W1070ST would be the way to go for a shorter throw(Any particular reason for considering a shorter throw?).

P.S. With the W1070 you'll have a range of 70"-92" at 7'8"
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The reason I wanted a shorter throw was that the room I was thinking of putting the projector in at a potential new place I'm looking to move at was so short in one direction that I would have had something like a 70" screen with my DT-510, however if I put it in another room I could have a 110" screen and could even put the projector further back than my DT-510 needs to be for that size so I'm going to put it in that bigger room if I end up staying there.

I'm starting to think I'll keep my DT-510 for at least a few more months to a year to be able to get something better later, I really like this projector even though it's 720p, it makes an amazing image. Would going from an 82" to 110" screen with my DT-510 affect the quality or brightness significantly? I now have the bulb on eco and iris on bright, I would put the bulb on bright as well for a 110" screen to compensate and hopefully end up with about the same brightness I have on 82" in eco mode, but would I notice a reduction in quality?

Thanks
post #12 of 14 Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

You should understand that the resale value of the DT-510 is likely $200... maybe less. Brand new 720p projectors are out there from quality manufacturers for $500 with a new lamp, full warranty, and all new hardware. So, any money spent on your projector should be considered a gift to yourself, not anything like an 'investment' in the resale of the product.

You also need to get over your feeling that BenQ isn't a decent brand. It's not a top tier brand, but they have a huge presence in the projector field and have been making good product for years. You may swear that your DLP looks just like the day you got it... but then again, the color wheel is failing, which is something no LCD projector had go wrong with it. biggrin.gif

Color wheel failure is inevitable, and LCD projectors have gone to better panels which help to reduce panel wear. It means that LCD has improved significantly while DLP still has color wheel issues. But, we've seen huge efficiencies of scale kick in for DLP in the past few years which is nice.

There really are no sub $3,000 DLP projectors out there right now from any brand 'better' the BenQ, so just accept it. Understand that unless your budget ends up being $3,000, you need to work with a company that knows how to make a decent product that is less money. Companies like Sony or JVC don't tend to perform well when their prices drop. Optoma, InFocus, and BenQ are the companies you will be looking towards when the time comes to purchase, and all will be of similar quality.

As for a mount - No.

You get a few inches of travel perhaps with any of the Chief mounts and they sell the SLB bracket which allows a few inches of movement as well, but that's it. A mount should be well made and fixed to a very specific location so that you don't get wobble or drift.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Liked: 31
FYI - I got $350 for my DT-500 a couple months ago. Sell it while it is installed and be willing to do a demo. I was 108" at 12' throw. Light controlled room; also loved the picture. Upgraded to Sony HW-55; made the decision to wait a year last year when I wanted the HW50. Hard to beat the Sharp PQ at the budget level.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've decided I'm going to keep my DT-510 for at least a few more months to a year because I could only afford a low end 1080p and would rather keep my fairly high end 720p until I can afford a higher end 1080p later.

I'll order a new color wheel for my DT-510 even though it's been working since adding lubricant to the color wheel motor because I don't expect it to last that long (I still occasionally get a flickering image which is one of the first symptoms I had of the color wheel having trouble maintaining its speed).

I'm also finally going to go from analog cable (about 99% of what I watch on my 720p projector is analog TV) to digital HD so for at least the last few months out of the 7 years I had it it will be used to its full potential. I'm always amazed the few rare times I've seen 720p video on my DT-510, which is pretty much only videos I get online and HD youtube videos.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Sharp Dt 510 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page