Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Hello,
I am in the process of building a home theater room. The room is smaller at 16X14 and the viewing will be anywhere from 11' to 13'. I guess I have been told that a 100" screen would be the best choice for my room. So I am shopping for projectors, but I am not getting one till the room is ready for it. I don't want the thing to sit in the box for 3 months and go obsolete by the time I use it. I am trying to get an idea of what models I should be looking at. I see the Epsons are highly rated and some of the Sony's and Panny's. However with Cyber Monday coming, If there is a deal out there, I would love to jump on it.

This unit will be used for Blu Rays movies, TV and maybe some Video Games. I would like to have 3D, just to have it, but not really necessary.

My budget will be anywhere from $1500 - $3500. So any help for a noobie would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-30-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Hello,
I am in the process of building a home theater room. The room is smaller at 16X14 and the viewing will be anywhere from 11' to 13'. I guess I have been told that a 100" screen would be the best choice for my room. So I am shopping for projectors, but I am not getting one till the room is ready for it. I don't want the thing to sit in the box for 3 months and go obsolete by the time I use it. I am trying to get an idea of what models I should be looking at. I see the Epsons are highly rated and some of the Sony's and Panny's. However with Cyber Monday coming, If there is a deal out there, I would love to jump on it.

This unit will be used for Blu Rays movies, TV and maybe some Video Games. I would like to have 3D, just to have it, but not really necessary.

My budget will be anywhere from $1500 - $3500. So any help for a noobie would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reef

Since you're in the planning stage you can start here.

Coderguys Top Projector Picks
Reefdvr27 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Since you're in the planning stage you can start here.

Coderguys Top Projector Picks
Thank you, that was helpful. I am looking at the JVC RS-46
post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
B&H Photo has Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D 1080p Home Theater Projector for $2299 - $550 rebate = $1749 + free shipping. This is probably the best deal out there right now and highly recommended. I'm not sure if it will last.

Joe M.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermmd View Post

B&H Photo has Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D 1080p Home Theater Projector for $2299 - $550 rebate = $1749 + free shipping. This is probably the best deal out there right now and highly recommended. I'm not sure if it will last.

Joe M.
How doe that compare to the RS-46?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
It won't have the same black levels as the RS46 which is IMO the best 2D projector on the market today around $3,000.

You must have a good room to get the most out of the RS46.

FYI: 100" IMO is small for your screen. Seating at 12' means a 110" diagonal for 'center of theater' feel. If you like sitting a bit closer, than you would want a 120" to 140" screen depending on your preference.

The AE8000 IS a great deal at that price, but I would get the JVC if I could afford it.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM

I've only read the reviews so I'm not sure which is best but, frankly, they're both really good. I would buy the cheaper projector unless you're a genuine expert and think you can tell the difference. The Panasonic is very quiet, is really flexible for placement, and wel made. At this price, the picture differences are very subtle.

Joe M.
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

It won't have the same black levels as the RS46 which is IMO the best 2D projector on the market today around $3,000.

You must have a good room to get the most out of the RS46.

FYI: 100" IMO is small for your screen. Seating at 12' means a 110" diagonal for 'center of theater' feel. If you like sitting a bit closer, than you would want a 120" to 140" screen depending on your preference.

The AE8000 IS a great deal at that price, but I would get the JVC if I could afford it.
My budget for a projector was 3K-5K, however, I just ordered the AE8000. I was looking for a deal and this seemed to be the deal. I guess I have time to change my mind and get the RS46, but I think the AE8000 will suite me well enough.

Honestly I am clueless about screen sizes. I have a 16X14 room and my plan was to seat at about 12' or 13', so I was thinking that a 110' would be best. Again this is all new to me, I am learning day by day.

Quote:

I've only read the reviews so I'm not sure which is best but, frankly, they're both really good. I would buy the cheaper projector unless you're a genuine expert and think you can tell the difference. The Panasonic is very quiet, is really flexible for placement, and wel made. At this price, the picture differences are very subtle.

Joe M.
I took your advise and jumped on the AE8000.

If that is the case about the picture, I will never see it. This being my first projector, it will probably look fantastic. Thanks for the tip off.

Reef
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 11

I'm looking at purchasing my first projector also and was leaning towards the Sony HW50 or HW55. Then I was about to order the Panasonic because it's a decent deal I think. My wife and decided to go visit another local Home Theater store this morning and it just confused me even more The guy highly recommended an Epson 4030, cost $2499. It comes with mount, 3D glasses, 3 year warranty. He liked it more than the Sony HW55, at least he told me he did. He also told me Panasonic was absolutely getting out of the projector market and that it was not a rumor, it was a fact. I had read about it but couldn't find anything confirming it.

So, my opinion is about to the point to just buy something and be happy with it. Pretty much every theater store I've been to has recommended something different as their first choice. Problem around my local area is I've yet to find what I consider a good home theater store where I can actually view different brand projectors and compare them. So far my Best Buy Magnolia store has had the most viewing options.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Congrats! You got a great projector at a great price. It's amazing what you can get for under $2k nowadays. I had a 92" diagonal screen in a similar size room and it was fine. I had large standing full range speakers to either side so I couldn't have a really big screen. Now my home theater is in a much bigger room and I built a DIY screen following AVS forum advice and I'm sitting 12 feet away from a 120" diagonal screen. Bigger is better if the room allows but you have to consider furnniture and speaker placement designing the room.

Joe M.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post

I'm looking at purchasing my first projector also and was leaning towards the Sony HW50 or HW55. Then I was about to order the Panasonic because it's a decent deal I think. My wife and decided to go visit another local Home Theater store this morning and it just confused me even more The guy highly recommended an Epson 4030, cost $2499. It comes with mount, 3D glasses, 3 year warranty. He liked it more than the Sony HW55, at least he told me he did. He also told me Panasonic was absolutely getting out of the projector market and that it was not a rumor, it was a fact. I had read about it but couldn't find anything confirming it.

So, my opinion is about to the point to just buy something and be happy with it. Pretty much every theater store I've been to has recommended something different as their first choice. Problem around my local area is I've yet to find what I consider a good home theater store where I can actually view different brand projectors and compare them. So far my Best Buy Magnolia store has had the most viewing options.

I did hear a rumor about this, but Panasonic seemed to shut that rumor down
http://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-arent-pulling-out-of-the-home-cinema-projector-market.1795204/
post #12 of 12 Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrats! You got a great projector at a great price. It's amazing what you can get for under $2k nowadays. I had a 92" diagonal screen in a similar size room and it was fine. I had large standing full range speakers to either side so I couldn't have a really big screen. Now my home theater is in a much bigger room and I built a DIY screen following AVS forum advice and I'm sitting 12 feet away from a 120" diagonal screen. Bigger is better if the room allows but you have to consider furnniture and speaker placement designing the room.

Joe M.
I am glad you mentioned this as I have some pretty large JTR 212HT's on stands. Roughly they sit about 5' tall. I could knock a few feet off and go AT screen. I will see what I can and cannot do. Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page