Issue with new Optoma HD131Xe showing mainly horizontal lines - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello - I've searched the forums and haven't had much luck finding this issue, so I figured I'd create a new post.

We've been wanting to buy a projector for our movie room and after lurking in these forums for a few days, reading as many reviews as possible, we purchased the Optoma HD131Xe from Amazon. It arrived on Monday and today we opened the box, set it on a table in our movie room and tried to get it working - just projecting to the wall (screen is due to  arrive on Tuesday)..

Initially, we hooked up our dvd player, but nothing happened. It didn't project on to the wall (we pushed several buttons trying to get it to work :). What appeared to be a small menu did show up, but it wasn't legible, the area was obscured by horizontal lines.

We had our laptop, so we decided to hook that up, since we knew it was working. It did in fact display the computer screen fully across the wall, but that too was obscured by several static horizontal lines (see attached image - disregard the red, that's the wall).

We're really baffled by this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanto1984 View Post

Hello - I've searched the forums and haven't had much luck finding this issue, so I figured I'd create a new post.

We've been wanting to buy a projector for our movie room and after lurking in these forums for a few days, reading as many reviews as possible, we purchased the Optoma HD131Xe from Amazon. It arrived on Monday and today we opened the box, set it on a table in our movie room and tried to get it working - just projecting to the wall (screen is due to  arrive on Tuesday)..

Initially, we hooked up our dvd player, but nothing happened. It didn't project on to the wall (we pushed several buttons trying to get it to work smile.gif. What appeared to be a small menu did show up, but it wasn't legible, the area was obscured by horizontal lines.

We had our laptop, so we decided to hook that up, since we knew it was working. It did in fact display the computer screen fully across the wall, but that too was obscured by several static horizontal lines (see attached image - disregard the red, that's the wall).

We're really baffled by this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I would call Amazon and return it. It can be tough to get HDMI devices to cooperate sometimes but it appears that you machine is malfunctioning.

good luck.
Nanto1984 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I would call Amazon and return it. It can be tough to get HDMI devices to cooperate sometimes but it appears that you machine is malfunctioning.

good luck.

Thanks - I started the return process early this morning (around 4:15am) and Amazon has already promised a new projector by Tuesday - a really good experience with Amazon so far.

Cheers!

post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks - I started the return process early this morning (around 4:15am) and Amazon has already promised a new projector by Tuesday - a really good experience with Amazon so far.

Cheers!
Great! Amazon has always been good to work with for me.
Good luck. Despite small concerns this projector is giving us great cinema.
Nanto1984 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Great! Amazon has always been good to work with for me.
Good luck. Despite small concerns this projector is giving us great cinema.

Thank you. All our new theater equipment should be in by Tuesday (screen, mount and projector), so I'm excited to get going...just in time for family visiting for the holidays!

post #6 of 12 Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Cheers!
Amazon is great.
Nanto1984 likes this.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Amazon handled everything nicely and we got the new projector yesterday. It works.  I do have a little concern, but not sure if it's really an issue or not.

To test the throw distance, I put the projector on a coffee table and projected it on to our wall (painted burgundy, but with a semi-gloss finish, so it's a little reflective); turned off all the lights and watched the first episode of The Walking Dead. The image was really good and I didn't notice any issues. Later that night, however, we put hockey on and the picture wasn't great, but the most important thing I noticed was that there was an oval spot at the bottom center of the image (about the height of the projector's lens) that was really light and the top of the image was noticeably darker. I changed channels and noticed the same thing on every HD channel. If I changed seats, the light area would "move" with me. If I moved to the left, the light would move to the left. If I moved to the right, the light would move to the right.  We had no other light in the room (it can get really dark).

I'm wondering if this is because of the reflective nature of the wall, or do I have a different issue to deal with?

post #8 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Amazon handled everything nicely and we got the new projector yesterday. It works.  I do have a little concern, but not sure if it's really an issue or not.

To test the throw distance, I put the projector on a coffee table and projected it on to our wall (painted burgundy, but with a semi-gloss finish, so it's a little reflective); turned off all the lights and watched the first episode of The Walking Dead. The image was really good and I didn't notice any issues. Later that night, however, we put hockey on and the picture wasn't great, but the most important thing I noticed was that there was an oval spot at the bottom center of the image (about the height of the projector's lens) that was really light and the top of the image was noticeably darker. I changed channels and noticed the same thing on every HD channel. If I changed seats, the light area would "move" with me. If I moved to the left, the light would move to the left. If I moved to the right, the light would move to the right.  We had no other light in the room (it can get really dark).

I'm wondering if this is because of the reflective nature of the wall, or do I have a different issue to deal with?

Perhaps try it on another wall. I haven't heard of this issue before.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Perhaps try it on another wall. I haven't heard of this issue before.

Well, that seems the obvious thing to do *now*  :).  Thanks for pointing that out to me!

post #10 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Tried it on another wall and it's less noticeable (but still there). Hoping the screen eliminates it all together.  Thanks for your suggestions.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Tried it on another wall and it's less noticeable (but still there). Hoping the screen eliminates it all together.  Thanks for your suggestions.
You're welcome. Check lens for fingerprint. clean carefully.

good luck
post #12 of 12 Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're welcome. Check lens for fingerprint. clean carefully.

good luck

Ok, will do that too!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page