Semi-difficult living room setup. Could use some advice on throw distance/image size. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-29-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi AVS,

In honor of black friday, I'm looking for my first ever projector. It will mostly be for games and the occasional movie. I'll be installing the projector above the couch on a shelf; it'll then throw to a wall where I have 78"/1981mm of width available for screen size. Ideally, I want to have the projector as close to the couch-side wall as possible. However, I'm discovering that the wall I have available to use is an awkward size for this long of a room. I'm looking for some advice or some ideas that I haven't considered yet and would appreciate any help!

Here is my living room. I have 135" / 3429mm to work with, and the projected image width can't exceed 78" / 1981mm.

The HD25-LV is 9.2" long, so that means the lens will throw approximately 124.8" / 3175mm to the far wall. The distance calculator says it will project a 69" / 1752mm picture at 1.0x zoom. I think I'll be able to use the zoom to increase the screen size and fill up the wall.

The H6510 is 8.7" long, so that means the lens will throw approximately 125.3" / 3150mm to the far wall. The distance calculator says it will project an 83" / 2108mm picture at 1.0x zoom. It looks like I am out of luck here, as the picture is wider than my wall. Moving the projector further forward would mean I'd have to build a really deep shelf which would look silly above the couch, so that isn't an option.

The W1070 is 9.6" long, so that means the lens will be approximately 124.4" / 3159mm to the far wall. The distance calculator says it will project an 83" / 2108mm picture at 1.0x zoom. As with the H6510, it looks like I am again out of luck.

Extra width on 78" wall:
HD25-LV - fit with zoom
H6510 - 5-6 extra inches
W1070 - 5-6 extra inches

Current black friday prices:
H6510 - $570 shipped from NewEgg
HD25-LV - $1,000
W1070 - $900

Is the HD25-LV my only option? This will be unfortunate if I have to spend an extra $500 due to 5 inches of space (compared to the H6510). I'd really like to take advantage of black friday/cyber monday pricing.
- I don't want to do a ceiling mount because this is a brick/cement apartment and I'd have to run cables along the wall.
- My living room has ambient light
- Rearranging the furniture to use the other flat walls is not an option (although it is tempting!)
- Installing a screen may be an option, but I am not educated on how that works. It'd have to be roll-up, as I the whole point of getting a projector was to avoid having some ugly screen taking up the wall all the time.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Unless the projector is mounted VERY low, you will need to flip the projector upside down and mount it high on the wall. This is a REQUIREMENT and projector height in relation to the screen must be specifically maintained.

Here is a list of proejctors which can do 10' lens to a 78" wide screen:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=500&p=1500&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=10&i=w&is=78&sort=%24&sz=15

The Optoma HD131Xe would be my recommendation. It must have the center of the lens about 7" above the top of your projected image, which should work out nicely to get it high and away from the couch seating position.

You'll have to figure out cabling and power no matter what. I would strongly consider some sort of ceiling mount option to get it high and tight away from people. Even if it's a bit of a headache to do.
Daemonion likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your reply. I had no idea you could sort projectors with throw requirements like that! Also, thanks for pointing out the lens height issue. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page