Recommendations for unique setting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

My wife teaches an acting class, and we recently leased a building for her. The building came with a 40 seat theater, although the screen is simply a wall with a white 22 foot diagonal screen painted on it. There are no windows in the theater, so lights out = pitch black.

She wants to occasionally project scenes from movies, and also project her actors scene work. 

No 3D needed. No gaming. 

Need reliability.

We're looking for the best picture quality we can get under our circumstances with a projector budget of $1000 to $1500. It would be great if we were to find a Black Friday deal.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

phelix

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Liked: 15

You looking at 264" on a likely 1.0 gain screen. You won't a find a bright enough projector at that price range($1500 max) suitable for viewing video at that size. Also important is the aspect ratio of the theater(you don't mention it).

The brightest currently available that would come close is the Espon PowerLite 1960, but even with 5,000 lumens that PJ still wouldn't be enough for a 22' diagonal screen. At a 4:3 aspect ration(non-HD aspect ratio), you be getting 11fl at the absolute best with only 1024x768 resolution.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
A 22' diagonal reaches into the VERY large size of projectors and tends to be a $10,000+ projector to properly fill that size.

I'm going to say with no real budget, you just have to get whatever is brightest that you can afford and roll with the lousy quality you can expect from it.

You don't have the money for the right projector, you don't have the money for a quality projector either. Your budget simply doesn't line up with your goal.

In a DARK THEATER - something like this may work: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-1412&ref=2530xd&z=1

It's not a quality brand, but it is a new model. You may want to opt for any extended warranties which are offered.

With a 264" diagonal, the projector lens must be between 23'11" and 28'9" from the screen with the Dell, and in a completely dark room, you can get away with good results as long as the projector operates at top brightness, which may mean poor/weak color.

Bring it down to a 10' diagonal and you get enough light out of the projector to have some lights on in the room.

Unfortunately, upping the budget a bit won't help much. A typical auditorium will use a 15,000 to 20,000+ projector and spend $80,000 or more on it quite often. I just setup a high school with two 12' diagonal screens and they were using $17,000 projectors for their setup.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Your only other option is stacking PJ's and getting multiple lower cost PJ's and adding more as you can afford the upgrade. Starting with 2 and moving up, but even then your looking at at least at $3K budget minimum.

Edit: Max diagonal in your budget range(for HD) would be about 150"(12.5') via something like the Optoma HD25-LV. I use one in my HT on a 135" screen with some light in the room, but would also work up to 150" with no light.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. Since I know little about what I am doing, maybe I should say I have that large of a wall for a screen, and the pervious owner projected to that size. Perhaps I don't need to have the screen size that big to accomplish what we are doing. I can reduce the size of the screen accordingly.

Distance from the screen to the front row of seats is 12 feet. From there it's a total of five rows of standard, old school theater seating. I'm guessing the back rows would be approximately   another 12 feet back, meaning the farthest eye to screen distance would be about 27 feet.

That's the worst/best case scenario. Unually, for class, only the first three rows are being used, so 95% of the time, the farthest eye to screen distance would be about 19 feet.

Can I get a projector that would provide a great picture in a size that would work within those dimensions?

Sorry for being such a neophyte, but when wifey asks, I do my best.

Thanks,

phelix

Old 11-29-2013, 09:48 PM

12' to 27' seating. With the front row at 1:1 and the back row a 2.25:1 and the center at ~1.63:1 and 12' wide screen(165" or 13' 9") would be close to ideal for the audience. 22' is actually too big.

My personal recommendation would be an Optoma HD25-LV and a 165" 1.0-1.1 gain screen mounted to that wall. Overall then your looking at ~$1600 for PJ and screen($1200 PJ+$400 screen not including install).

Old 11-29-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreationz View Post

12' to 27' seating. With the front row at 1:1 and the back row a 2.25:1 and the center at ~1.63:1 and 12' wide screen(165" or 13' 9") would be close to ideal for the audience. 22' is actually too big.

My personal recommendation would be an Optoma HD25-LV and a 165" 1.0-1.1 gain screen mounted to that wall. Overall then your looking at ~$1600 for PJ and screen($1200 PJ+$400 screen not including install).

Thanks much for the reply. I haven't researched an Optoma yet. Rolling my sleeves up now.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE

I apologize again for being such a novice, but I went over to the studio and did precise measurements of the viewing area. According to the screen size calculators I used, the sweet spot for my screen is 84 by 150. This is much smaller than what I was suggesting in the first post, because when I get hot on buying something new, I very often rush in without doing the proper due diligence. I would be KIA on the first day of any war, to be sure.

So, I've calmed down. I've stopped looking at the Cyber Monday ads. Here, again is our criteria:

Just going to show movies.

Want best quality picture for the buck.

Will never watch a 3D movie ever. I hate 3D, so I don't want or need to pay for the tech if it affords me a better projector by having only 2D. (don't know if this is the case)

Dark room. Only light is the exit sign, and that's off to the far right. No windows. Pitch black room.

Budget is $1500.

With this new criteria, are there any options other than the Optoma HD25-LV. Not that this isn't a terrific choice, it might be, but I shackled you guys with a screen size that was not real.

Any and all recommendations would be so welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
In a dark room with a 1.0 gain scree, the BenQ W1500 should be able to deliver enough lumens to fill a 100 square foot screen like you are listing with plenty of light. It's inexpensive enough and is well reviewed.

Ignore the 3D, it doesn't add to the price at this point and all 'new' projectors pretty much include it by default.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I've never filled an actual theater or school like AVintigrated has done, but have done 25ft diagonal with projectors that are far less than ideal, and have come out with good results. Not sure how a large auditorium would work, maybe not very good unless you spend some serious money as AV pointed out. If you look many of the manufactures will claim projecting up to 25ft even though its ideally too dim, but still doable. According to the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, they recommend 16ft lumens for a theater dark room. Keeping that in mind, if you repaint the wall into a 1.78 ratio, you would have an approximate 11 x 19 screen, giving you 209 sq ft of screen. To calculate the lumens its lumens/sq ft so with a 5000 lumen pj you would have 23.9 lumens, which is plenty bright assuming you use the pjs brightest mode.

As long as you can mount the projector at the right distance, I can't see why you wouldn't have good results. there are some pjs out there that will do this. I just got one, the optoma eh501 used for large venues. the eh500 is less money, but only 4500 lumens, still plenty bright. You can check out the thread that I just complained about it in here in this forum. It is a great pj, but it does show some bad rainbow dlp artifacts in its movie mode with dark scenes. I've played with some of the other preset modes, and found the rainbows are decreased quite a bit and hard to spot in those modes. I'm still up in the air whether or not I will keep it, but the point is, the pj can be had for 1600 bucks from our sponsors here and it has 5000 lumens. there are others out there that can be had for a cheap price. As others have pointed out the 12ft distance is too close for the first row, probably 16ft would be better, but then again, you don't have to use those front seats anyway if you don't like that distance.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So, an epson 3020 is supposed to put out 2300 lumen. I don't know real-world brightness, nor throw distance. You have no real placement flexibility - as there is no off-set adjustment - but it is in your price range. The Panasonic PT-AR1000 is supposed to be even brighter (2800 lumen), but with worse contrast. It has more placement flexibility. In your price range, that is probably what I would suggest - might get an acceptable 14-16' diagonal out of it (want to re-paint that screen down to a smaller size?) in a dark room. Blacks won't be great, but with overall dimness at that screen size it may be more a white problem than a black problem.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciated.

Tags
Powerlite 1960 5000 Lumens 1024 X 768 Xga 3000 1 3lcd Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector