Upside down projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mounting a projector in my room is impractical. I have a tall stand that houses my entertainment devices and I'd like to put the projector on the top shelf. The projector needs to be upside down to make this work.

It's probably unlikely but is there a product that can make this happen? A ceiling mount mechanism that really just stands the project upside down?

Am I nuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Deleted

No regrets
post #3 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Trying to visualize why it would need to be upside down on the top shelf? If you need to mount it on the underside of the topmost panel, make a template for the location of the bottom mounting screw holes, then use it to drill holes through that top panel. You can then run the machine screws through the holes and directly attach the PJ to the shelf. Provided your shelf is level and square, there should be no need for an adjustable mounting - but if needed you could add shims.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, maybe I misunderstand how the projector and offset works... If I have the projector right side up my understanding is that it will project the image up from the center of the lens. So if the projector is already high up, the image will go into the ceiling.

Mounting it on the underside of the top shelf is an interesting idea, I might have to give that a shot and see if it's doable!
post #5 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 02:12 PM

There may be some variance between brands, but any that I've looked at will do vertical shift in either direction.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

There may be some variance between brands, but any that I've looked at will do vertical shift in either direction.
Hmm, gotcha. I will look through the manual again and look into that. I'll also physically give it a shot and then mess with any settings I can find. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Depends on how high up lol. They all have an offset, I doubt lense shift will work if it's 8ft high.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 PM

If the projector is the one listed in your profile (Optoma HD131Xe), it looks like it does not have a mechanical lens shift mechanism - just a fixed vertical offset 'upward' of 116 degrees when projecting in tabletop mode. In that case for an elevated shelf mount you would need to flip it upside down as you described, and switch it to 'ceiling mode', to project downward to the screen. Your best image would result from mounting the projector level, at a height and throw distance that will give that 116 degree offset to your screen. Otherwise you would need to tilt the projector, and use keystone correction to square up the projected image.

Optoma makes a ceiling mount for the projector, and it should also fit many low cost universal mounts. You could most likely use a conventional ceiling mount inside your shelf unit as well, if the shelf location is a necessity and you wanted the extra adjustment flexibility - you'd just have to modify it for your application (e.g. resize the downtube that would be used for a conventional ceiling installation). Good luck! smile.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Yes, you are correct that you need to invert the projector if it doesn't have lens shift.

No, there aren't any mounts designed for what you want, but there are about a dozen options you have.

You can just flip the projector over and shim under it (as said above) which can work fine if you do a good job. You can use wood, or foam, or any number of other things to 'shim' the projector. Just don't block vent holes and understand that it may be a real pain in the neck to try to get it aligned correctly.

I would recommend mounting it to the BOTTOM of a shelf with a good projector mount. If you need to, install another shelf really high, just under the ceiling, you can mount to.

This is all on the concept that the mount needs to be about 8' off the ground.

If this doesn't work with what you have, then you need to consider what exactly you are doing and how important the quality of the final product is vs. the aesthetics.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

... I would recommend mounting it to the BOTTOM of a shelf with a good projector mount.

Mounting to the bottom of the shelf is what I proposed, and depending on the PJ design it may not need a separate mount - the fixed shelf provides the overhead mounting surface. The projector could be mounted to the UNDERSIDE of the shelf/top panel, upside down (the same as would be done with a projector mount plate) by screwing through the shelf to the projector mounting holes on the PJ bottom. The shims would go between the projector and the shelf, to level and/or create a larger ventilation gap if required. smile.gif
Quote:

Trying to visualize why it would need to be upside down on the top shelf? If you need to mount it on the underside of the topmost panel, make a template for the location of the bottom mounting screw holes, then use it to drill holes through that top panel. You can then run the machine screws through the holes and directly attach the PJ to the shelf. Provided your shelf is level and square, there should be no need for an adjustable mounting - but if needed you could add shims.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page