Green dye after lamp changed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just changed my lamp LCD projector Epson PowerLite 83c (EMP-83). When turned on again, it is showing a green tint to the entire image, there is neither red nor yellow. The green dye is also in menu, icons and highlighted options, previously these were red.
I have had this for 5 years and projector lamp (exploted) went out after 3,200 hours of use, the lamp was completely fried, there was a pop sound. I bought a lamp "cheap" replacement.
Can this problem be caused by a faulty lamp? What are the likely cause of this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamargo View Post

I just changed my lamp LCD projector Epson PowerLite 83c (EMP-83). When turned on again, it is showing a green tint to the entire image, there is neither red nor yellow. The green dye is also in menu, icons and highlighted options, previously these were red.

I have had this for 5 years and projector lamp (exploted) went out after 3,200 hours of use, the lamp was completely fried, there was a pop sound. I bought a lamp "cheap" replacement.

Can this problem be caused by a faulty lamp? What are the likely cause of this problem?

The green indicates that your blue LCD panel and polorizer are failing. It will only get worse. If you have an economy option use it or the panel will fail faster. Post a picture of the image with a white back ground on the screen. My guess is it will show a yellow or a grayish tinge - Bohanna
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I am attaching two pics one from the computer and the other one is the projected image.

Computer

Projector

Can this distortion be caused for the new lamp?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Common failure mode on LCD projectors. The brighter image with a new lamp seems to make it more obvious I guess?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Common failure mode on LCD projectors. The brighter image with a new lamp seems to make it more obvious I guess?

Just for clarification the brighter image does not come from the projector is an screen shot from my computer. The green dye image is a pic of the projected image with the new lamp. Any ideas to fix the failure?

Old 12-07-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
you have no red in that image at all. So either the red panel has failed or its out of adjustment. I doubt that is caused by the lamp.
Project a pure white background then go into your color settings and check each panels color and see if the red changes at all.
May be one of the polarisers has shifted or dropped out of alignment when you changed the lamp.
Anything sound loose inside?
Go here for projecting test patterns:
http://www.walvisions.com/index.htm
Old 12-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

The yellow tinge on outer edges of the lower Projected image indicate the Blue Panel is on the way out but the tell tale yellow or greyish splotches are not in the center. This could mean the Panel is totally fried and just letting light pass through without any activity or something is preventing the signal getting to one of the panels. My guess is the panel has failed. A new lamp could be bright enough to cook the panel especially if you have been using the settings of the previous lamp. How many TOTAL hours on the projector? -- Bohanna
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM

Liked: 11

I have a similar projector. Look inside the lamp area where the light shines through (polarizer?), the glass there on mine was all broken. My issue isn't exactly the same as yours, so the problem might not be the same.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I am going to take a look.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

The yellow tinge on outer edges of the lower Projected image indicate the Blue Panel is on the way out but the tell tale yellow or greyish splotches are not in the center. This could mean the Panel is totally fried and just letting light pass through without any activity or something is preventing the signal getting to one of the panels. My guess is the panel has failed. A new lamp could be bright enough to cook the panel especially if you have been using the settings of the previous lamp. How many TOTAL hours on the projector? -- Bohanna

Thanks, the projector has 3500 hours on it. 

Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSVGA View Post

I have a similar projector. Look inside the lamp area where the light shines through (polarizer?), the glass there on mine was all broken. My issue isn't exactly the same as yours, so the problem might not be the same.

This is how the optical engine look:

EMP-83 Model 255 optical engine

And here are a pic whit the sun light.

DSCN0462baja.JPG

Does this image help to say if the LCD panels are broken or not?

Thanks,

Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Make sure all the polarizers are firmly snapped down into place.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Make sure all the polarizers are firmly snapped down into place.

Thanks for your answer, What are the polarizers? Where are they adjusted? Finally, I want repeat my last question: Does the last image help to say if the LCD panels are broken or not?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 13
How is the projector connected to the PC? Is it through a VGA cable or HDMI?
If it is through VGA, you may need to take out the cable going to the projector and check if any of the pins are broken or missing.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVenture View Post

How is the projector connected to the PC? Is it through a VGA cable or HDMI?
If it is through VGA, you may need to take out the cable going to the projector and check if any of the pins are broken or missing.

Thanks,the problem occurs even with no connections, that is to say in the menus of the projector, icons and highlighted options.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your answer, What are the polarizers? Where are they adjusted? Finally, I want repeat my last question: Does the last image help to say if the LCD panels are broken or not?

I think they're the color pieces. The thin ones with the ribbon cables should be your LCD panels.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

--- The polarisers are the thin colored filters that usually fit in the optical path just after the 1/4 moon lens and BEFORE the LCD panels with the ribbon connectors. I can't see them here. If they are NOT there It appears that they are putting them before the usual place which is strange. Here is a picture of a burnt Panel and a poloriser -
Notice the huge blob in the center of the Panels. This area will let light through but the image on the screen will not have any colors that the panel provides. Sometimes this will look yellowish or if the panel has totally failed you will see a grayish area.- MAKE SURE you DON'T unseat any of the panels or it will be a B-I-T-C-H to re align them. If you have to replace one ONLY touch THAT one and align the new one to the existing ones. Bohanna

P.S After I enlarged your picture the slots that go before the LCD panels are where the polorisers fit. In the Picture the green one looks like its missing so I am guessing that you have removed it. You want to look at the one in the right side of the block in the BLUE path. You also want to look and make a NOTE at what side of the poloriser the coating is on and replace it facing the same way.

P.S.S Sorry dude but unless you have marked the little red dashes on the panels My guess is that the projector has had work done on it and someone has already worked on the panels. I don't know how reliable your 3500 hours number is!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

It DOES make a difference in how the polarizers are mounted ,,, here is a video that may help. Do a youtube search of Polarizers or Polarisers for more info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAILxVfHse0

Bohanna
Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 AM

Quite often the polarizers are part of the LCD block assembly and not replaceable.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

Quite often the polarizers are part of the LCD block assembly and not replaceable.

I am not saying this isn't the case with all projectors but I have yet to see a polarizer that's not replaceable . Some are harder to replace than others. The Center (green one) in the picture appears to be gone from its slot. I don't know if it was taken out by the poster or it was not properly put back after someone had it opened when they worked on the Panels. - Bohanna
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:

I am not saying this isn't the case with all projectors but I have yet to see a polarizer that's not replaceable . Some are harder to replace than others. The Center (green one) in the picture appears to be gone from its slot. I don't know if it was taken out by the poster or it was not properly put back after someone had it opened when they worked on the Panels. - Bohanna
like you have said YOU have yet to see one but I can assure you I have 2 nec PJ's here where the polarizers are part of LCD panel assembly.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I am the only one working in this projector, I bought it brand new 6 years ago It HAD 3500 hours working with me. I did not properly put back the green polarizer. Everithing looks kind of hard work for test and replace the polarizers or LCD panels. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

like you have said YOU have yet to see one but I can assure you I have 2 nec PJ's here where the polarizers are part of LCD panel assembly.

It doesn't really surprise me since just about everything these days is throwaway !! Could you post the model number of the projector?? -- Bohanna
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am the only one working in this projector, I bought it brand new 6 years ago It HAD 3500 hours working with me. I did not properly put back the green polarizer. Everithing looks kind of hard work for test and replace the polarizers or LCD panels. Thanks for your help.
Unless you were the one who made the red marks on the panels someone has already worked on it. 3500 hours is pretty low for the panel to fail. You usually see them start to fail somewhere between 4500 and 6000 hours . If you have the old and the new lamps could you post them side by side facing front. If could be that the dichroic cold mirror or the Borosilicate glass in front of the lamp (if it has it) has allowed to much UV to pass through to the panels. - Bohanna.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It doesn't really surprise me since just about everything these days is throwaway !! Could you post the model number of the projector?? -- BohannaIs

Is an Epson powerlite  83c Model MP-83.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I think this is my fried polirizer, it was in the red LCD panel. It looks like a mirror, it is reflecting my camera lens!

Where can i find a replacement? 

And this are my LCD panels:

Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

What makes you think its the red polarizer? Look at the pictures of the panel and polarizer I posted. Unless you see the same type discoloration or burn pattern in the red one my guess is its the blue one. The blue one you just posted seems to have the upper left area distorted. take the number of the Panel and google it to see if you can find a replacement

Bohanna

Tags
Epson Powerlite 83c Lcd Projector