Advice On A Great Projector For Movies/TV/Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey all,

I was recommended to post on this forum by a few peeps in regards to my question.

I am currently contemplating purchasing a projector for my home. What I would like is something excellent for gaming/movies/TV. Basically for everyday use. The image quality must be great and have rich color, easy to use etc etc.

I've narrowed it down to two so far and both are from BenQ:

W1080ST

W7000

My room is about 35'x35' and I am currently using a Sony Bravia 60" the high end model from about 2 years back KDL 60NX720

What can you guys recommend for me on getting started?

Thanx.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The W1080ST is a short throw projector. You need to make sure you have the flexibility you need to mount the projector in the right spot. Your room plays a big role in picking the right projector, can you share:
- How far back you are going to be sitting from the screen?
- What size screen you are looking to buy (i.e 120" diagonal, 100" diagonal, etc)?
- How far back you plan on mounting the projector from the screen?
- Your budget on this projector purchase? The BenQW7000 is harder to find now and typically goes for $2000 and up.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Screen size I am Looking at a 100" or 120" screen from Grandview.

I am planning to sit about 12' to 15' back from the screen

I am planning to make a coffee table this weekend with a middle ledge that I can hide the projector in. I'm a carpenter so I am going to do it at my shop.

The 1080ST I've read some reviews that say it's great for gaming/movies/TV I just want to be sure the image quality will be excellent. The 7000 I've read is great for movies/TV but poor for gaming due to the lag. So I am leaning more towards the 1080ST.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post

Screen size I am Looking at a 100" or 120" screen from Grandview.

I am planning to sit about 12' to 15' back from the screen

I am planning to make a coffee table this weekend with a middle ledge that I can hide the projector in. I'm a carpenter so I am going to do it at my shop.

The 1080ST I've read some reviews that say it's great for gaming/movies/TV I just want to be sure the image quality will be excellent. The 7000 I've read is great for movies/TV but poor for gaming due to the lag. So I am leaning more towards the 1080ST.

Looking at the projector calculator, I don't think you can make the 1080ST work if you want the coffee table close to the seating. The maximum distance you can place your coffee table would be between 7-8'. Again this is a short throw projector.

The W1070 would be a much better fit and you could place it between 12-13' back from a 120" screen.

I would also look at something like this projector:
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD131Xe-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B00E4JEDWE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386350587&sr=8-2&keywords=optoma+projector

About $725 including the Amazon promo and would allow you to place the projector somewhere between 13-15' back.

This calculator will help you in terms of throw distance to screen size as well as how far the projector needs to be below the screen if placed near the floor vs the ceiling:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

The coffee table wouldn't be used except to house the Projector, PS4 and a Motorola PVR so I wouldn't care about it very much.

I put my measurements in to the calculator and I would only need to be 80" from the screen so MEH.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Bravia 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Kdl60nx720
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page