Gaming Projector Under $1500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am new to projectors and am not sure if this is the way to go for me. I have the ok from the wife to look for an LCD or projector for our gaming room. If I go LCD, have a feeling she will not be happy with a 50"+ because of the size and the room is smallish. The wall however is big so I was thinking about a projector, since it has a smaller footprint but can throw a large image on the wall.

The room is fairly lit during the day and the walls are a light bluish/gray color.

This will strictly be used for gaming Xbox One ( BF4, Fifa, Forza etc) and some Netflix/blueray.

Any suggestions on something that would fit the bill for this?

Do I need to use a screen or can I just throw the image on the wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
What are your actual room dimensions (length, width, and height)?
How far back would you be sitting from the wall that you are projecting on?
Are you planning on ceiling mounting this projector?
Do you have any way to darken the room during the day (blackout curtains)?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can throw an image on the wall, but spending $300 on an inexpensive screen will be well worth it. For well under $1500 you could get an Optoma HD131xe and an Elite fixed frame screen and you would likely be very happy.

Spend the rest on blackout curtains.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What are your actual room dimensions (length, width, and height)?
How far back would you be sitting from the wall that you are projecting on?
Are you planning on ceiling mounting this projector?
Do you have any way to darken the room during the day (blackout curtains)?

Thank you the room is a cubby hole type area that sits in between our dining room, with very large floor to ceiling windows and the kitchen area.

One wall is 6 feet another wall is 15 feet and the third wall is 12 feet.

I have attached a picture of what my arrangement might be. I would guess the projector would sit over my head behind the couch.

The ceiling on that cubby hole is 9 feet tall GAMINGROOM.jpg 42k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GAMINGROOM.jpg (42.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

You can throw an image on the wall, but spending $300 on an inexpensive screen will be well worth it. For well under $1500 you could get an Optoma HD131xe and an Elite fixed frame screen and you would likely be very happy.

Spend the rest on blackout curtains.

Is there such a thing that would have a screen underneath and say a painting to place over it when the projector is not in use?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post

Thank you the room is a cubby hole type area that sits in between our dining room, with very large floor to ceiling windows and the kitchen area.

One wall is 6 feet another wall is 15 feet and the third wall is 12 feet.

I have attached a picture of what my arrangement might be. I would guess the projector would sit over my head behind the couch.

The ceiling on that cubby hole is 9 feet tall GAMINGROOM.jpg 42k .jpg file

Honestly? This does not sound ideal for a projector. For your price range you are going to have a hard time finding a high lumen output projector with lens shift and that means you are going to have your projector on a ceiling mount that could extend down pretty low. You also want a DLP projector for gaming as I am not aware of a budget LCD projector that does introduce a lot of lag...

Couple this with ambient light from the windows and trying to hide a scree and it is a tough one. I would probably try to get the biggest flat screen you can and mount it on the wall. A projector and screen is going to be more intrusive than a flatscreen IMHO.

Unless some of these guys know of a better solution I would say go the flat screen route.
Dr Strangelove likes this.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there such a thing that would have a screen underneath and say a painting to place over it when the projector is not in use?

I would paint the wall white, and then hang a painting over it when not in use. But like I mentioned above, I am not sure a projector is best for this space. Ambient light is usually a deal breaker for projectors unless you are okay with sacrificing screen quality and go high lumen output.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD25-LV-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B00BQWX1P2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386347257&sr=8-3&keywords=optoma

Which has high lumen output and low lag for gaming, but would not be ideal to mount from the ceiling with an extension pole. You could try projecting from the floor/table but then you would have to pull it out everytime and set it back up again.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I would paint the wall white, and then hang a painting over it when not in use. But like I mentioned above, I am not sure a projector is best for this space. Ambient light is usually a deal breaker for projectors unless you are okay with sacrificing screen quality and go high lumen output.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD25-LV-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B00BQWX1P2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386347257&sr=8-3&keywords=optoma

Which has high lumen output and low lag for gaming, but would not be ideal to mount from the ceiling with an extension pole. You could try projecting from the floor/table but then you would have to pull it out everytime and set it back up again.

Hmm maybe this would work... hmm. I was thinking of building a shelf above the couch to project or I guess I could just wall mount a TV. But I think my wife is concerned about the look of the larger tv in that room. Hence why I was thinking projector might be less intrusive.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm maybe this would work... hmm. I was thinking of building a shelf above the couch to project or I guess I could just wall mount a TV. But I think my wife is concerned about the look of the larger tv in that room. Hence why I was thinking projector might be less intrusive.

You can also buy a coffee table that has shelving underneath and place the projecor down low. Shelf mounting in the back of the room could work as long as you are flexible with how high to place the shelf. I would lean towards a projector like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD25-LV-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B00BQWX1P2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386350587&sr=8-3&keywords=optoma+projector

-It can thrown an image between 13-15.5' whether it be on the floor or ceiling for a 120" diagonal screen.
-It is a high lumen output projector which you need consider your throw distance, screen size, and ambient light. I cannot stress enough how much ambient light affects a projector vs a TV. Many projectors are almost unusable if you have a fair amount of light in a room.
- If you play a lot of FPS games you want a projector that has fast response times and low lag. The Optoma above is 17ms which is about as good as it gets based on your needs.

I still think an HDTV will be easier and will work much better with ambient light, but you will get a much larger picture for the money with a projector.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Get a 70 inch lcd IMO.

Works in the daytime and fps is harder on giant screens.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
None of the big screen LCD TVs available now offer low enough input lag to compete online and the Optoma listed above is the fastest lowest input lag projector now at 17ms. I bought myself the BenQ W1080st and like its similar longer throw brother W1070 is second fastest with 24ms input lag which is so close not like would tell a difference. I bought my W1080st cause I needed a short throw which is working fine at 5 feet away gives 100" screen smile.gif .

You will have the advantage gaming wise with either BenQ W1070/1080st or Optoma HD25 LV versus what is available with 70" LCD TVs and above input lag wise let alone its uniformity issues edge-lit led sets give.

Silver Ticket fixed frame screens are cheap and many like it online Amazon. Projecting onto my white wall and still looks good still deciding on buying a screen from this company.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d