LG PA75U - Awesome - UPDATE: Colors Good Now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I just got this yesterday based on recommendations here. Originally I was looking for a portable like the Qumi Q2, but this may find its home in my living room. I'm painting the wall tomorrow. I've played with it for a few hours and the interface is so much nicer than any portable I've tried, including Optoma, Vivitek and AAXA. The auto keystone is a nice touch. And the tuner is great, which is why this will probably get the thumbs up to replace the TV on the wall in the living room.

The only issue is that the image seems harsh and cold, (redundant?) unlike the other projectors which all seem okay. I tried the different factory presets and Cinema is closest to what I want, but not quite. I tried playing with settings, even the tint, to try to make it warmer, but I feel like I'm shooting in the dark. Did anyone else feel the image was cold and did you find a setting that you liked, especially for movies?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

I think I can describe it best as that it appears the way a soap opera looks compared to other shows. It just doesn't look that natural. Any ideas?

post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The answer to both of your post is ?
Have you tried to calibrate your projector with the factory calibration ?
Yeah I know it isn't much to work with but it may give you a better picture.
The soap oprea effect ? turn it off.
There is a setting to turn that off.
Perhaps you can buy a calibration disk.
The picture cold ? harsh ?
It's either the settings or the video source your putting in the projector, I know can get great pictures on my projector and then on some TV channels ? it's really crappy almost unable to watch.
Crap in crap out with this projector.
If possible aline your projector perfectly with the screen and turn off any keystone correction that will effect your picture's resolution.
Keep the lens clean and no do not use tissue paper or and cleaning agents use specially made cleaner for lens or a camera lens cleaner.
There is a special coating on those lens that could be easly damaged if not taken care of properly.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

The answer to both of your post is ?
Have you tried to calibrate your projector with the factory calibration ?
Yeah I know it isn't much to work with but it may give you a better picture.

I tried both manually changing the settings and the Wizard. Not surprisingly, the resulting Expert settings were very close to the manual settings.

The soap oprea effect ? turn it off.
There is a setting to turn that off.

I wish you were serious and it were that easy. I was trying to give an idea of what I'm trying to achieve. Do you know what settings would compensate for that type of lighting? I think it might be color temperature. I just remembered the Sony KDL40W5100 had a "Warm 2" setting that eliminated the same problem that the "V" series TV had since the "V" didn't have the same color temperature settings.

The picture cold ? harsh ?
It's either the settings or the video source your putting in the projector, I know can get great pictures on my projector and then on some TV channels ? it's really crappy almost unable to watch.
Crap in crap out with this projector.
If possible aline your projector perfectly with the screen and turn off any keystone correction that will effect your picture's resolution.
Keep the lens clean and no do not use tissue paper or and cleaning agents use specially made cleaner for lens or a camera lens cleaner.
There is a special coating on those lens that could be easly damaged if not taken care of properly.

It's across all inputs, or at least TV, USB and HDMI. I tried watching a couple of blu-ray movies connected to HDMI to be sure it wasn't the source. The lens looks clean. I haven't tried cleaning it. It's only a couple days old, so I don't suspect the lens, but I'll keep in mind using only lens cleaner when I do clean it.

post #5 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Yes I was serious in turning off the soap oprea effect.
So are you saying you have a blueish tint to your picture no matter what you do with the settings ? am I getting you correct ?
And your trying to dial up the right temp color that you like ?
Something does not sound right there.
I do not wish to say that you might have a defective projector.
I have the same projector and there are at least as far as I know 4 color tempeture settings to go with.
Of course there is one that makes it look cool, then the natural setting and warm.
Maybe another setting what your not aware of is way off ? like the more deep settings of the RBG red green blue tint.
Try this, try and look for your factory settings to return the projector back to the settings it was when it left the factory and try doing the color temperture settings again and see what it looks like.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes I was serious in turning off the soap oprea effect.
So are you saying you have a blueish tint to your picture no matter what you do with the settings ? am I getting you correct ?
And your trying to dial up the right temp color that you like ?
Something does not sound right there.
I do not wish to say that you might have a defective projector.
I have the same projector and there are at least as far as I know 4 color tempeture settings to go with.
Of course there is one that makes it look cool, then the natural setting and warm.
Maybe another setting what your not aware of is way off ? like the more deep settings of the RBG red green blue tint.
Try this, try and look for your factory settings to return the projector back to the settings it was when it left the factory and try doing the color temperture settings again and see what it looks like.

Well, maybe you can point me to the soap opera setting. I tried everything for color. And I reset the settings a few times. I wish there was a slider for color temperature. I don't know if it's defective, but I'm going to call LG tomorrow.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
you need to get a color filter, they have them in this Blu-ray Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Blu-ray. you can try a few of my settings ,but not sure it will help. I use expert mode, contrast 90, brightness, 65, color 48, tint to the green 3+ vertical and horizontal both 75. now the expert part I have the gamma 2.2 , color temp warm, cinema smooth(I think that's the name) is on ,but I don't really see a difference when it's off. black level is low, in the individual settings for color I turned my blue color down -6 . of course every projector will be slightly different and having the color filter will help for best results. I will post the rest of the settings for you tomorrow as I am heading to bed ,but I know those ones for sure and will post the complete list for you tomorrow, hope this helps. you should not be getting a soap opera effect I don't have that I mine with directv hd or Blu-ray oh here is a pic of mine. LL
NewHampster likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Ok at this point my brother is using my projector so I can't check the settings now, but yeah what thebigdaddye said, Smooth cinema or cinema Smooth is that soap opera effect.
Some companies have different names or terms for it.
Or is it the de-jutter settings ?
Either way turn that smooth cinema setting off or you will have your movies or TV shows looking like a soap oprea.
Ok found my PDF LGPA75U operating manual.
They call it Trumotion and Real Cinema.
Trumotion is suppose to smooth out the picture and de-jutter.
Those are the settings you want to turn off or adjust to your taste or turn it off totally to get rid of that soap oprea look.
All these settings will be found in your picture mode expert #1 and expert # 2.
To get there you have to move the curser to the 2nd box down on the left of the screen then a box will pop up and show you all the different picture setting including the picture modes.
While your in that picture mode you look down the line for all sorts of options and adjustments.
You would have to either click the up and down white botton or use the middle roller to move the curser down the line.
Ok I found my PDF file for the LGPA75U operating manual.
In section 66 under picture settings.
It should be on page 67.
Remember ?
Not all picture modes will you be able to adjust the picture or all settings.
I think only in expert mode can you adjust all settings or get into the deeper detailed settings like the gamma settings.
Here are the options for color tempeture.
yyColor Temperature: You can select Warm, Cool, Medium, Purity or
Natural.
White balance as far as I can read here can effect Color tempeture.
Believe me on this projector you can go into some really deep and detailed adjustments like Adjusts Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Cyan/Magenta colors.
That's why thebigdaddye asked you if you have any color filters or a Blu-ray Digital Video Essentials blueray dish, but I don't remember having to go through all that for me to get a decent picture on my projector.
thebigdaddye ? I do believe that this projector already has a built in color filter for calabration purposes.
I remember first getting the projector and I accidently push the botton for the blue filter and everything was all blue and I though I messed up the projector.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

You can try a few of my settings ,but not sure it will help. I use expert mode, contrast 90, brightness, 65, color 48, tint to the green 3+ vertical and horizontal both 75. now the expert part I have the gamma 2.2 , color temp warm, cinema smooth(I think that's the name) is on ,but I don't really see a difference when it's off. black level is low, in the individual settings for color I turned my blue color down -6 .

Changing the black level made a BIG difference! I guess I thought the opposite of what it actually does, thinking that high would mean deeper blacks. Instead it looks washed out with black level high. I set that to low it's MUCH better. Then I played again with the rest of the settings, Gamma 2.4, Color Temp Standard, Contrast 70, Brightness 70, Sharpness 20, Color 50. I may still tweak it, but it looks really good now. I now enjoying watching movies on this. Pretty nice projector. Thanks for the help.

Do I have to set everything for each input? I made all these changes with USB and I now have Cinema (User), but that setting isn't available on other inputs.

Quote:

Ok at this point my brother is using my projector so I can't check the settings now, but yeah what thebigdaddye said, Smooth cinema or cinema Smooth is that soap opera effect.
Ok found my PDF LGPA75U operating manual.
They call it Trumotion and Real Cinema.

Thanks. I turned both off.

post #10 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHampster View Post

Quote:

Changing the black level made a BIG difference! I guess I thought the opposite of what it actually does, thinking that high would mean deeper blacks. Instead it looks washed out with black level high. I set that to low it's MUCH better. Then I played again with the rest of the settings, Gamma 2.4, Color Temp Standard, Contrast 70, Brightness 70, Sharpness 20, Color 50. I may still tweak it, but it looks really good now. I now enjoying watching movies on this. Pretty nice projector. Thanks for the help.

Do I have to set everything for each input? I made all these changes with USB and I now have Cinema (User), but that setting isn't available on other inputs.
yes each are separate.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 104
BTW, black level (high/low) will look really good depending on which input you're using. Some need low, or everything looks washed out, but others will look good on high whereas low clips off your whites and blacks and makes colors look wrong and too intense.
I've found that for hdmi and USB setting brightness to 54, color 49, and contrast 100, with the proper black level(high/low) has black as black, with slightly lighter shades showing properly and it doesn't over expose whites either.

I keep all the extra stuff (true cinema, smoothmotion, anti-noise, dynamic contrast/color, edge enhance) off unless I'm in a room that's too bright..in which I'll turn dynamic contrast on medium or high and turn color from 49 up to 69 because dynamic tends to wash out colors a bit, I also might turn gamma to 1.9.

In a darker room in expert, I usually use gamma 2.2, and leave dynamic contrast off (with color at 49),color gamut: SMPTE, whitebalance: purity, color balance: red-tint6 yellow-tint3.

I like how this looks, though it is still a tiny bit cold in the whitebalance. Medium looks very similar to pure (though skies sometimes look a little weak in medium), warm is too warm and natural is really green/yellow, so I think I'll eventually tinker with the whitebalance settings using "pure" still.

Edit: using 2point white balance (low;red0 grn10 blu15, high;red15 grn0 blu15) then switching to 20point (IRE100;red30 grn-30 blu50..all other IRE's flat/0) looks a bit better, but orange might still be a little weak in "purity". Even in warm, green looks stronger than orange. It might be the LCD I'm comparing it to, though. I'll have to compare to more and different screens.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

BTW, black level (high/low) will look really good depending on which input you're using. Some need low, or everything looks washed out, but others will look good on high whereas low clips off your whites and blacks and makes colors look wrong and too intense.

Edit: using 2point white balance (low;red0 grn10 blu15, high;red15 grn0 blu15) then switching to 20point (IRE100;red30 grn-30 blu50..all other IRE's flat/0) looks a bit better, but orange might still be a little weak in "purity". Even in warm, green looks stronger than orange. It might be the LCD I'm comparing it to, though. I'll have to compare to more and different screens.

Good to know about the black level. Is the 2 point versus 20 point white balance analogous to a camera's center versus average white balance? I'll try playing with that, too.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The 2point and the 20point both affect the picture at the same time (unless one or both is set to flat/0). Yes the 2point seems to have the broader affect you'd probably expect it to, while the 20point can be used for more pinpoint changes. The affect of the 2point seems to lose its range a little short of the extremes (high hardly affects the highest 95-100..if at all).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page