Which upgrade from Benq w1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm currently in the progress of selling my Benq w1070+glasses and looking for an alternative. Looking for a projector that has at least the same brightness so I can use if for PS4 gaming in the living room, has very good 3D and of course a noticeable improvement when it comes to image quality. A definite plus/need would be a more flexible projector when it comes to zoom/lens shift so I can position the projector a bit further from the screen and closes to the ceiling (Benq is difficult for this).

Budget around 2.200 euro which gets me the Panasonic AE8000/AT6000. Currently it seems this is the projector I would get, but maybe there are better alternatives. Mind, I need to use this projector with CAT extenders which my Benq has zero problems with, but my previous Optoma projector had enormous trouble syncing. So this is something very important to me too.

I love the Benq but some minor things (noise, placement flexibility etc) bother me too much to keep it, so that's why I'm looking for a better projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
The AE8000 or Epson 5030 would be the only ones which I would consider 'upgrades'. There are other models which offer similar performance/brightness, but certainly not an upgrade.

The most significant upgrade projector IME is the JVC RS46, which has tremendous black levels, but is a theater specific projector vs. a non-dedicated space projector as far as the quality it can deliver.

Worth saying: If your room is light colored then you will never come close to realizing the true potential of any projector you purchase because you aren't controlling the light.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I know. The projector is installed in our living room so I'm using it as a gaming/sports projector 50%, but also 50% with a perfectly darkened room. Choosing between the Panasonic of the Epson, which one would be considered the best. I kinda love 3D, but also game a LOT on my projector so that's important too.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Yeah I know. The projector is installed in our living room so I'm using it as a gaming/sports projector 50%, but also 50% with a perfectly darkened room.

I hope you understand the concept of light control. It is not just close off all windows to shut off external lights. You also need to make sure the walls and ceilings don't reflect light off the projector image, which means walls and ceilings are covered with dark colored non-reflective material. Does your living room have such dark colors?
post #5 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

No and I understand the concept. The wall in my living room where my plasma/screen is mounted is black velvet, but the ceiling and other walls are a muted white. I have a pretty open space so only ceiling reflects some light, the side where the windows are can be darkened with curtains which reflect nothing and the back and other side are open (pretty big space - a bit like a loft).

Still I know it's not an ideal situation for a projector and I won't be getting the maximum out of a high end projector, I just wonder if in even less then optimal conditions, there will be a noticeable improvement going from a w1070 to like say the latest high end Epson. One thing what WILL be an improvement is the projector position. I had to move the Benq a lot closer to the screen and a bit lower from the ceiling, which results in a mess of cables hanging from the ceiling which the wife of course dislikes. An LCD would allow me to move the projector back to the power outlet and UTP cables (I'm using CAT extenders) and it would allow me to put the projector closer to the ceiling too.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
The projectors I listed are all upgrades I would go with. The JVC RS46 has pretty solid 3D from what I've seen and read in reviews, but may not be up to what DLP can deliver. I would expect close performance to the LCD models, but the JVC has the best black levels by a good margin which is nice. Unfortunately, it is much more of a dedicated HT projector vs. a family room model. Also keep in mind that while the Epson has a tremendous amount of lens shift, Panasonic and JVC don't offer as much. Read the specs and reviews carefully about placement.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If you plan on doing lots of gaming, I would research lag time. Your current DLP has excellent lag time, and some of the other projectors you are looking at may be acceptable, but will most likely have nearly double the lag input. What types of games are do you normally play?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

As of now it seems the most likely candidates will be the Panasonic PT6000 or the Epson TW7200
post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If you plan on doing lots of gaming, I would research lag time. Your current DLP has excellent lag time, and some of the other projectors you are looking at may be acceptable, but will most likely have nearly double the lag input.
Don't over look lag time since you play games.

post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I know, in fact inputlag is the main reason I'm still debating whether upgrading to an Epson TW7200 or a Panasonic PT6000 would be a good thing for me. I'm pretty sure IQ will be a lot better than the Benq (it should be!) but I really would hate having a projector which is useless for console gaming.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I know, in fact inputlag is the main reason I'm still debating whether upgrading to an Epson TW7200 or a Panasonic PT6000 would be a good thing for me. I'm pretty sure IQ will be a lot better than the Benq (it should be!) but I really would hate having a projector which is useless for console gaming.

No, it will be the opposite. Input lag on the single chip DLP projectors is usually 2x3 time better than the LCD and LcOS projectors. I want to say the W1070 is right around 20ms. I suspect the Panasonic and Epson are about double that.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

So are you saying gaming on the top-end Epson and Panasonic's is bad?
post #13 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are you saying gaming on the top-end Epson and Panasonic's is bad?

I would not say bad. There will just be more input lag. Depending on what type of game you are playing and your expectations, it may or may not work for you.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page