HD25-LV or ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello,
This is my 2nd post on the forums, including my intro. I've been lurking these forums for a year now. Doing so has given me a pretty good idea of what I want for my upcoming project, mid to late 2014.

What I've got is a living room in my basement, 8' ceiling. . room is roughly 13' by 24' (can't measure at the moment as I'm out of the country for work) (will be projecting on to the 13' wall)

only have 1 small rectangular window in the room, that is easily able to be blocked out. So it is very light controlled. However, I think we plan on having this room as a dedicated living room, just with a projector. So very often there will be reading along with other activities that some lights will be on. 

With this I've come to the thought the HD25-LV would be a great 1st projector for us. I want full 1080p, and would love the option to go 3D, even though at the moment its not high priority. Also sticking to the 800 - 1200 dollar price range, (give or take).
With this I've concluded I can either do a 150'' 16:9 inch screen. OR (with having more light in the room on a regular basis) going with a 133'' screen so I can get a brighter picture.

The only other projectors I was considering would be the other HD25 models, the 131xe or  the BenQW1070.

However this is 6 months + away. (currently renting out the basement, can't start until I have the whole house back)
The HD25e might be a good compromise, would be brighter than the 25, less bright than the 25LV. also I know costco.ca had 1099 for the HD25e with 2 glasses and the emitter. which isn't too shabby. (providing that deal exists 6 months from now)

What I would love to know is anyone's opinion on this plan as I have it. also would love to know if anyone knows of some models that aren't out yet, but are planned to be out in the next 6 months that I should keep an eye out for, that might fit the bill.

Thanks,

Cody aka Top

Edit: Now thinking with the size of the wall it's going on, (I don't want the whole wall as the picture) I'm thinking either 133" or 120" screen size... favoring the 133

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Really, you want to ask this question about a week before you intend to buy, not now. There could be half a dozen new projectors coming to market between now and then.

In all fairness, all 3 models are good and have some advantages disadvantages.

Keep in mind, closing a curtain isn't light control. Dark carpet, walls, and ceiling with zero ambient light IS light control.

If you have lights you want on, then they must be directional, and they must be nowhere near the screen (once again, THAT is light control!)

If you haven't actually addressed light control as I just described it, then your image will be significantly impacted and it is something to work on for the next 6 months before actually figuring out the projector.

Leave your wiring options open though if you haven't wired to a specific location.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I will have dark walls, and the carpet is dark ish. I can in the summer make the place pitch black if I wanted to. no ambient light whatsoever. In the winter I have a fireplace, so. that would contribute some light.( but it is in an adjacent room, with a stairwell in between)

I'm planning on a dark charcoal wall that the screen will be on, and I plan on making a black surround with some diy masking for movies.  I have put in some serious thought on reducing reflection of light from lighter surfaces.

As for light in the room I do have direction track lighting in the back of the room (will be behind the projector. they would be the only light on. so shouldn't cause too much of a fuss when they are on. During the day I would have some light coming from a stairwell that leads upstairs.

Besides all that, yes I know I'll be making my final decisions on what projector within the few weeks of starting this project. but that's why I was putting out some feelers now. The last 6 months have been pretty quiet with projectors for this category. Not much new that I've personally seen, that fits the bill. So it was more of a question of is does anyone have word of what will be coming out in the next 6 months that you're excited for. That could work for a beginner ~1000 dollar Full HD 3d capable Projector. 

But thank you for your input.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i recently purchased the 25-LV for my home theatre room. Your setup sounds a lot like mine.. one window that can be light controlled. Just so you know.. the 25-LV is considered somewhat of a "light-cannon"... meaning it can cut through ambient light while still enjoying a picture. Mind you that picture is washed out when lights are turned all the way up.. but still offers a wonderful clear picture. I have been extremely impressed with the projector.. love it. My best purchase of the year. But as someone earlier said... "look whats available when you are ready to buy"... this will probably be considered old by the time you want to make the purchase.

Good luck.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I just got a HD25-LV myself, and my room dimensions are 12x22 and 9' high, so not too dissimilar from yours

You should really think whether 133" is going to work for you.

At that size, the optimum closest viewing distance is around 11' from your screen, 13'-14' would probably be better if you don't want a sore neck ;).

In addition, a 133" screen will be 65" high and 116 wide.  That's around 5 and a half feet high and almost 10' wide, giving you around 1.5 feet either side of your screen or less, for speakers and other things of that nature

For the height, you should factor in around 1-2 foot drop from the ceiling for the top of your screen.  The HD25-LV does not project the top end of the screen parallel, but instead for a 133" diagonal, will be places 17' away from the screen and will have a drop from lens to top of screen of around 10" - that is before factoring in the length of your mount from the ceiling.  This puts the bottom of your screen at 1-2 feet from the floor, which would be pushing it imo, but may be fine for you.

I've actually been torn between a 120" and a 106" given that I want to use the room as more than just a space for a projector.  Maybe that's not what position you are in, but I was sold on the 120" untli I makred it ou in painter's tape on my far wall and positioned some mock furniture around.  I'd suggest giving that a try.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page