Need advice on epson projectors. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-25-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks.

i am very expert at Computers, LCD, Displays etc, but i never have had experience with projectors.. currently using a 55ES7500 Samsung in main room for family use (Not mine) , and a 32in HD sony cx520 for my PC. (only mine) .my previous knowledge of projectors was limited to the 1024x 768 ultra dim business powerpoint presentations only.. i recently saw the advancements in projector technology and was amazed at how much brightness and color reporduction and HD / 3D HAVE COME ALONG..

so here i am,, with a serious itch to get something LARGE screen for my PC to run everything.. my main, and ONLY source would be my pc, for genral use, internet, and the large screen primarily for HD movies and games through my PC.

my PC is a hefty 4rth gen haswell with 8gb ram and a GTX 460 which i may upgade to the Rx 280 some time in near future..so no problems on that front..also i have a very very huge home audio system so no need for projector audio output either..

so i have a semi dark room,, like almost a cinema dark room when they dim the lights just before shutting them off before movie.. only one door and one window, which both open towards the wall where i would display projector output, but door remains closed 80% of the time, and the glass windows is again 80% times covered with dark thick curtains, so light is not an issue in my room.

my main requirement would be a properly very bright FULL HD projector with excellent 2D quality as this is where most of my time would be spent.. Desktop net gaming music.. a solid 3D performance would be good too, as finally 3D is catching up, and the Es7500 has a very very solid 3d..but 2D is priority alpha..

i have recently been reading all reviews all over the net about praises for the epson series.. and then Sony VW and JVC.. the epson 3020,5020,6020, seem to be very bright and suitable to my needs.. but also there are similair named models.. 5910 6020 6100.... ther seem to be confusion whether the 6020/6100 are of the same series or diferent.?

i would like something below 3k $... cheaper the better, although since i would be using it for atleast 5 years or so, i would gladly spend for a one time investment and easier availability of replacement bulbs.. the 6100 comes with more warranty and extra bulbs, but there is no epson in my country so i wuld be importing it and thus warranty is not needed... Sony is extremely costly for same specs or even lower than epson.. jvc and panasonic are rare to find. Benq i dont like as a brand. but still would look into..

What do you guys suggest? Again... main and only source would be my PC.. need Full HD.. a Bright and Rich color output projector...3d complementary..

Thanking you guys in anticipation.. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
From your desriptions of intended use, I'd suggest the Epson 5030UB. It's new and replaces the 5020 model. It's better in 2d and 3d, as well as having lower latency for gaming. $2600 MSRP.

The 5020 and 6020 are identical, except that the latter is only available through installers and comes with a mount, a spare bulb and a longer warranty (3 years).
post #3 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

^ FiNALLY. Some one replied smile.gif

Ok thanks, but 5030 is a tad bit expensive.. and also factoring in the price of a screen ... recently there has been a lot of buzz over the benq 1080st... which they say has all the problems of the 1070 fixed with new firmware of 1.04 or something.. it has similar specs without the motorized lense..

whats your take on that? are there some good projectors below the 2k$ mark as well?
post #4 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The W1070 is a great entry level projector. Not sure what problems you have heard of, but I haven't experienced anything with my projector (got it the first month it was released). It has better 3D than the Epson models by most accounts. Certainly I would get it and recommend it over the 3020 from Epson, but not over the 5030.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

^ the problems reported were from reviewers who bought it and from user reports on amazon and other stores..etc,

those including, incomplete focus, sharper in some areas and soft in others especially borders, and inconsistent light throw from the bulb with half image being dull and not bright.. those are users complaints on internet.. however there seem to be a lot of praise for it too, especially about the sharpness of the lense which apparently epson canot match. and the rainbow issue comon with DLPs..

Also their warranty and return policy is reported as very poor, and that would be a big problem for me, as i would be importing it and canot return it..

this however is very cheap and affordable over the 5030 and even 5020 for that matter..

there is a newer 1080 from benq.. any info on that..? anyone who bought and used it?
post #6 of 16 Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I own the W1070, and I've installed the W1080ST. The W1080ST I think is louder than the W1070 but looks very similar overall in terms of image. The short throw demands a perfectly flat screen which means fixed frame of some sort. I would not take the W1080 over the W1070. The W1500 has a longer throw lens which I think may be a bit better, and there is no doubt that the W7000 has a far better lens than the W1070.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

^ Hi AV..

i have a room 14ft by 12 ft.. the direction of screen and projector would be the 12 feet width.. there is a cieling fan in the middle, so the projector would have to be around 10 ft away from screen.. so what exactly would be suitable for a ceiling mount ? short throw or long throw lens?

also since DLP have a rainbow effect issue a lot, in almost all major brands, i wouldnt wana risk it at all...i can live with some lag but not with color distortions..
post #8 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_ds View Post

^ Hi AV..

i have a room 14ft by 12 ft.. the direction of screen and projector would be the 12 feet width.. there is a cieling fan in the middle, so the projector would have to be around 10 ft away from screen.. so what exactly would be suitable for a ceiling mount ? short throw or long throw lens?

also since DLP have a rainbow effect issue a lot, in almost all major brands, i wouldnt wana risk it at all...i can live with some lag but not with color distortions..
RBE is not a color distortion in the image in any DLP, it is a optical illusion our eyes create that only impacts some people, which creates a quick flash of color from time-to-time. It doesn't affect many people, and most people it does affect only get mildly affected by it. I definitely can see RBE issues, but it barely impacts my viewing experience.

I would consider the entry level W1070 and the slightly better image model than the Epson 3020. If 3D isn't important than the Panasonic AR100 and the Epson 8350 are both great models. But, LCD doesn't really start to outperform the entry level DLP models until you get into the Epson 5030, the Panasonic AE8000U, or the significantly better image that the JVC RS46 delivers.

I bought and use the W1070 and I'm happy with it, but when/if I upgrade in a few years, it will likely be to a JVC LCoS projector.

As far as your ceiling fan goes, you have a big issues there. Projectors tend to go above the screen height, so if you need the projector lower, you will need one with lens shift. The 3020 doesn't offer this, the AR100 and 8350 models do, the 5030 and better models do as well.

post #9 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Cieling fan issue can be managed by just putting a small shelf or a wood board on the wall behind my bed and just plave the projector on it.. in that case, the distance would be a full 11-12 feet from screen... will that effect image brightness and contrast? if so, how would it be remedied? using a higher brightness projector or a black wall used for screen?

as for the 1070. those who are using it, have you compared with the Epsons? not the high end 5020, just the 3020, being in the nearer price range...

for me, i will only be buying a projector for a long term, cant upgrade in 2-3 years as they have little resale value... these new projectors are expensive stuff and also adding screen would increase price a lot and above 2k $ would be out of my range for now..

since 1080 is newer, shouldnt it be better at stuff than 1070? there must have been some improvements, and differences?
post #10 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The 1080 is a short throw projector, not a newer model than the 1070. It's for people who need the projector mounted much closer to the screen.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Cieling fan issue can be managed by just putting a small shelf or a wood board on the wall behind my bed and just plave the projector on it.
Do note that the there is image offset. Make sure the projection path is not blocked by the ceiling fan
Quote:

since 1080 is newer, shouldnt it be better at stuff than 1070? there must have been some improvements, and differences?
Although W1080ST newer, it's not better or worse. It is the short throw version of W1070.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

so if i would be placing it at a distance of around 10 feet above our bed, i would be better off with the 1070? would it be better to produce between a 80-100inch image from 10ft as compared to 1080?

our ceiling is around 12-13 ft high.. the cieling fan is around 1.5-2 feet hang length.. so i guess it wont be a problem interefering with picture display... except the air wave.. would it be a factor?

so most people would recommend 1070 over epson 3020? since it is the similiar price bracket?
post #13 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The projector will need to be upside down, ceiling mounted so that the lens of the projector is below the ceiling fan. No chains can hang down in the light path of the projector. You must have the screen about 1" below the center of the lens to several inches below the center of the lens. No more, no less.

Distance from screen affects image size and image contrast and with projectors without much zoom range, has minimal impact on brightness. It improves contrast, decreases brightness, and image clarity, for the same size screen, should be about the same, or slightly improved. With the W1070, it will all be insignificant differences really at a screen size of 92" to 120" diagonal.

Just watch the height and distance you are placing things at so that it is installed properly.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

The projector will need to be upside down, ceiling mounted so that the lens of the projector is below the ceiling fan. No chains can hang down in the light path of the projector. You must have the screen about 1" below the center of the lens to several inches below the center of the lens. No more, no less.

Distance from screen affects image size and image contrast and with projectors without much zoom range, has minimal impact on brightness. It improves contrast, decreases brightness, and image clarity, for the same size screen, should be about the same, or slightly improved. With the W1070, it will all be insignificant differences really at a screen size of 92" to 120" diagonal.

i am confused at this.. increasing distance improves brightness or decrease brightness for the 1070?. and also contrast would increase or decrease with increasing distance? with a short throw like 1080.. what would happen with the optics? would they also change like the 1070 or be opposite?
post #15 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i am confused at this.. increasing distance improves brightness or decrease brightness for the 1070?. and also contrast would increase or decrease with increasing distance? with a short throw like 1080.. what would happen with the optics? would they also change like the 1070 or be opposite?
ALL projectors increase contrast and decrease brightness as you move the projector further from the screen.

With a projector like the W1070 this difference is minimal (similar for W1080).

It's minimal because the W1070 doesn't have much zoom range.

A projector like the Epson 5030 which has a great deal of zoom range has far greater impact of moving the zoom range from closest to furthest.

Of course, the W1070 is a bright projector and can handle a screen of up to (and beyond) 120" diagonal with some ambient light in the room without issue.

post #16 of 16 Old 12-31-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

^ THIS.. smile.gif

Thankyou for such an excellent and clear information.. makes it easy for me..

Your sig shows you do lot of AV work.. what is your opinion on the new benq W1400?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page