Why does my 2:35.1 image bow inwards and not stay out to the 16:9 on Benq 1080ST? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So I watched Mud last night on Blu Ray (cool movie by the way), and the movie is displayed in 2:35.1. What I noticed is that about 1/2 down the image it starts to bow inwards. It's not dramatic at all and I didn't even notice until I started to observe the sides since the Optoma HD131xe has that grayish border around the image. I tried twisting the projector left and right, up and down, etc, but it's almost like there is a fixed distance between the displayed image and the "grey" part. I don't feel like I notice it as much when I do the test which is displayed in 16:9.

Is it possible that this is just the projector itself, or is it a display error on my part that I'm not getting right? If anyone can provide some details I would appreciate it. Here are some photos below to help explain. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had this on my 2 hd131xe's that I returned before getting a benq w1070. I noticed it more on sports channels with the ticker on the bottom. The ticker was bowed so the edges were about an inch lower than the middle. I had the projector lined up right and couldn't find a way to fix it. I also had corner focus issues on the 2 units I tried which is why I returned them.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 254
You are using a quality fixed frame screen with the W1080ST aren't you?

ANY bowing to a screen will cause a major shift in the on-screen image. This is because of the extreme angles which are in play with short throw projectors. A half-inch of warp if using a wall (typical on many walls) is not noticeable in normal 'life', but with the projector will produce exactly the effect you are seeing, and is what I believe is causing the issue you are seeing.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 11
I'm not sure which projector you are using, but the HD25e that I have needs about 12" + the length of the projector mount (6" or so) of picture offset. This means that the top of the image can't be any closer than about 18" or 19" from the ceiling without the projector being significantly tilted upwards. That would produce the keystone shaped image that you are seeing.

Also as the other poster said, the wall leaning outward would add to the problem. Walls are often out of plumb and/or square.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

I'm not sure which projector you are using, but the HD25e that I have needs about 12" + the length of the projector mount (6" or so) of picture offset. This means that the top of the image can't be any closer than about 18" or 19" from the ceiling without the projector being significantly tilted upwards. That would produce the keystone shaped image that you are seeing.

Also as the other poster said, the wall leaning outward would add to the problem. Walls are often out of plumb and/or square.

I'm using the Benq 1080ST.

I'm projecting onto a white wall. And yes AV Integrated....after reading your post I went downstairs and grabbed a level. Sure enough, some parts of the wall are dead on, whereas other parts I need to move the bottom of the level out to reach center, and other parts of the wall I need to move the top of the level out for the bubble to reach center. So, could this potentially be cured when making my own screen, just being sure that It's built soundly and no bowing occurs? At least know I can't have the screen flush against the wall since it's not flat. I will have to accommodate for that.

And Kgronseth, did getting the Benq 1070 solve your problem?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

And Kgronseth, did getting the Benq 1070 solve your problem?
I have not had any bowing or focus issues with the w1070.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So is there no way around bowing at the bottom with the Benq 1080ST? This is just a fault of the projector? Having a flat screen won't remedy the issue?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

So is there no way around bowing at the bottom with the Benq 1080ST? This is just a fault of the projector? Having a flat screen won't remedy the issue?
Sorry I'm confused. In the first post you say you are having the issue with the hd131xe. That is the same projector I had my issues with. I didn't have the issues once I got the w1070. If you are having these issues with the 1080st I'm not sure my experience will help.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also have the 131xe just to test it out. I was just saying that I only noticed it on the 1080st because that all around gray border was very noticeable. On the Benq 1080ST it just starts narrowing inwards as you progress down the screen. I didn't think it was a common issue so I'm hoping and thinking its my wall as previsouly mentioned.

Any other thoughts from people?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page