LG Hecto LED Laser projector $2400 at Fry's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Given all the frustration over the no show PF85U LG LED projector, this one is more expensive but looks vastly better. There's a thread for this in the "Over 3K" forum - just wanted to make sure nobody here missed it.

If you look at the photos you can see that this seems to do well in ambient light which few other LED projectors do. This no doubt due to the super short throw giving maximum brightness. It also claims to have 1,000,000:1 contrast!

If you're looking for LED (or even if not) this could be the most versatile projector ever accomodating almost ANY living space. The specs look impressive but I'd be interested to see serious reviews about this or one in action before pulling the trigger. Still for the price they're going for it looks like it could be a great option for those considering LED (and why wouldn't you?).

http://www.frys.com/product/7781478?site=frysecampaign1+date:122713+disc:LG+Hecto+Laser+Projector for the projector only

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
43 ft-L on a 100" diag screen seems pretty high, but I still don't see it giving acceptable contrast in a really brightly lit room. Maybe their screen is also one of those fancy high gain black screens as well to help things out.

Somewhat interesting, but it seems odd to come out with this and not go for the $1-2k projector market. Maybe they're thinking the volume is really high on something like this (I don't think it is, people will be skeptical unless the price drops).
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That price is still a bit steep for me.
Surely some projector manufacuture will be introducing something next year in the ball park range of $ 1,000 to $ 1,500 with a half way decent 1080P LED projector with over 1000 Lumens, maybe ? perhaps ? let's hope rolleyes.gif
Here is what I am hoping for in that ball park range of price and we know with what Vivitek did with their new Qumi 7 that there is no excuse not to do so.
A LED projector that is 1080P, over 1000 Lumens, with a zoom lens, and glass lens, any projector manufacture providing Vivitek's lead do not have a excuse not to do so, and do it with a affordable product.
LG showed up the first affordable 1080P LED projector with Ethernet port, 2 USB ports, ARC through HDMI, 2 HDMI ports.
It's almost 2014 and there is no excuse for them not to do so.
Another thing ? there is also no excuse not to have the option of 3D either.
All of this can be done as of 2014 and with a projector under $1,500.
There is no excuse not to do so.
Hear that LG ? get your act together.
Another thing ? there is no excuse to have a product with bad focus or a crappy lens.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

43 ft-L on a 100" diag screen seems pretty high, but I still don't see it giving acceptable contrast in a really brightly lit room. Maybe their screen is also one of those fancy high gain black screens as well to help things out.

Somewhat interesting, but it seems odd to come out with this and not go for the $1-2k projector market. Maybe they're thinking the volume is really high on something like this (I don't think it is, people will be skeptical unless the price drops).

No projector will have acceptable contrast in a brightly lit room. But having the lens this close to the screen with such a high contrast rating (and probably their proprietary screen) should go a long way in that direction.

I agree it's too bad they're not addressing the budget market. I think eventually the middle market will disappear given larger and larger flat screens. Only action will be in the lower end where you can get so much more size for the money and upper end home theaters.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DlpPF - I seriously think this is a case of an in demand and available technology being held back to protect the existing revenue model of the industry. HT projectors are taking a hit as it is without having to deal with also losing the bulb replacement market.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time before they realize canning the bulb is what will bring consumers back. Might not happen until they figure out how to increase LED light output to work across all their projector lines.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
In this day and age technology moves on at a brisk fast pace and anyone who holds onto the old technology is left in the dust pan of history.
I think it's a fatal mistake for whom whatever the powers that be are holding onto the old bulb technology and preventing the better LED technology to take preeminence in the HT market.
To hold on for only the reason to eek out more money with the old bulb technology is a huge mistake while the flat panel TV market is getting a foothold into what was once a projector domain.
Yes for some a 60 inch 70 inch TV is still to small but for the mass market ? it's not.
What should be done is drop the old bulb technology a.s.a.p. as feasible and dump R&D money into LED and other display technology.
It's just not smart to hold onto the old technology while other display technology as in TV technology that is cheaper and beating the snot out of current projector technology.
Unless this has been planned all along to do away with front projectors and have everyone move onto and back to large TVs.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
It sucks that it's just the projector, according to Fry's website, you still have to buy the screen and that's another 3k.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #8 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Well, it is a start. I really hope CES has a solid showing of LED projectors.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I actually just found out about those Panasonic Solid Shine LED/Laser projectors last week. I wonder how they compare to this?

The cheapest 720p model from Panasonic is about $2,499 and the 1080p one is $3,199 (According to B&H.)

Also gives about 20,000 hours of use. No lamps and 3,500 lumens.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #10 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I actually just found out about those Panasonic Solid Shine LED/Laser projectors last week. I wonder how they compare to this?

The cheapest 720p model from Panasonic is about $2,499 and the 1080p one is $3,199 (According to B&H.)

Also gives about 20,000 hours of use. No lamps and 3,500 lumens.
...and looks terrible. I've installed five of them so far in commercial board rooms, and their colors are just horrendous on all the laser/led hybrid models I've seen so far. The integrated HDBaseT is just awesome though.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

...and looks terrible. I've installed five of them so far in commercial board rooms, and their colors are just horrendous on all the laser/led hybrid models I've seen so far. The integrated HDBaseT is just awesome though.
Projector Central said it puts out a nice calibrated picture.. see @ http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_rw430u_projector_review.htm?page=Performance

The ones you put up, did you calibrate it at all? I'm guessing since it was a commercial board room install, you probably didn't bother. But, yeah, the review on PC is pretty much glowing about the projector.

The link up there is the middle of the review with the greyscale and color calib... but end of review basically states
Quote:
The Panasonic RW430U is a truly unique product, and as such it is difficult to judge its value relative to the competition. If you can benefit from the wide array of features provided by the RW430U, it is quite simply the only viable option. The fact that it has a sparkling high-contrast image with great color balance does not hurt its case, either. And while it is not intended for home use, its accurate color, high contrast, and minimal 17ms input lag mean that it is certainly capable of delivering a superb 80" diagonal picture for home entertainment and video gaming.

Current HT setup:

post #12 of 17 Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
PJC has a known bias when reviewing any Panasonic products, I would trust AV Integrated's judgement on it, if the picture starts too far off, calibrating it is usually going to help only so much on a business projector without sacrificing too many things or introducing banding, of course there are exceptions.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 17 Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I all honesty, there was minimal calibration put into the product, but playing with it (after dark) I was really disappointed with the light output which never seemed anywhere near what I have seen from traditional lamp projectors, but was certainly sufficient for home theater use. The colors just never got close enough in any of the standard settings available, which seems somewhat silly for Panasonic to deliver as a product. Of the several I have installed in boardrooms, they have consistently looked poor overall with inaccurate colors. I would think with a fair bit of calibration time, it could be a great deal better, and it has some very unique features.

Unfortunately, the Casio models (even the better models) with the laser/LED engine have performed similarly out of the box.

There is the potential for a huge market here if they could just get the out-of-the-box colors far more accurate in at least a few of the viewing modes.

Still, overall, I was impressed with the design quality of the projector itself and the integrated HDBaseT with a long life light engine is far more progressive than what most companies have brought to the table in recent years for the price.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

It sucks that it's just the projector, according to Fry's website, you still have to buy the screen and that's another 3k.
From the Frys ad, "This product will work with any projector screen up to 100" Diagonal."

But, I found this in Cnet's 1st look, "the projector won't work properly with another screen, nor does LG plan to release a larger (or smaller) screen as an up/downgrade for the projector -- is a result of the screen's unique design, which is in turn dictated by the short throw distance. The screen focuses light quite aggressively toward the sweet spot directly in front"

Sounds like what a high power screen does.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So that explains getting 150 nits. It's basically super high gain and they used the offset and throw distance to get the hotspot of the gain cone right around normal viewing angles. So I wonder what the real brightness of this thing is? Probably on the order of ~1000 lumens I'd bet.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
New version of Hecto announced at CES:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/09/lg-hecto2-laser-tv-projector

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Better be hella cheap.

I'd pay 3k for one possibly.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page