BenQ W1070 vs Optoma HD131xe for first projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
So I am looking to dip into a projector setup on a budget. I had another post about a Pro8200, but decided to pass because of the image offset being soo drastic.

So now I am looking at the W1070 or the HD131Xe.

The plus that sways me on the BenQ is the lens adjust and reliability.

The plus that sways me on Optoma is the blacks were reported to be much better than the BenQ. But I have read about some more QC issues on the Optoma units. The Optoma has would need a 6-8" offset, which may work well for me, but I am skeptical on this because I am really a newb.

For further info on the room:
I have 7'9" ceilings in my basemements and would view about 13'. I would like to do atleast a 110" if possible.
Walls are all white for the time being, but I will probably do a black fabric of some sort on the front and back walls
Also zero ambient light in this room unless I turn on any lights. No windows at all to deal with.

I understand I will not get the blacks I am used to in my Panny Plasma, but I would like relatively ease of install and a very good image for the sub $800 price range of both.

Suggestions/Tips?
With my height and viewing distance, should the offset angle vs. lense adjust even be a concern?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No help here for a newb?
Do I not ask in the right format?

post #3 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would guess people would tell you to do a search because this question has been asked a few times. From what I have read both are close and for the price either is a great choice. They have different throw ranges so whichever one works best in your room. Best of luck to you. Projector central has a throw calculator to assist in estimating placement.
post #4 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have searched extensively. I was asking more if I missed anything in my calcs or since I am a newb which would be more desirable.
I guess I'll just order the optoma and return it if the mounting doesn't work well for my room. I was trying to avoid the return game, but it is what it is a I guess.

post #5 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ordered the optoma from bestbuy and paid tax just because I can return in 60 days with no fees if I don't like it
Otherwise was surprised they pretty much matched online prices without having to price match. Stayed competitive with that and the benq

post #6 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Cool. Let us know how you like it. I still have my Optoma hd72 from 7 years ago that I need to upgrade. On the fence about the new Optomas.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM

I have an HD33 that I've used for several years now. I use the RF glasses with it, as most subscribers had said that they prefer the RF over the DLP Link.

Be aware that Optoma does not manufacture its own glasses. It buys them from Bit Cauldron. You can buy compatible glasses from Amazon for less money.

Starter kit

glasses only
post #8 of 49 Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 AM

I haven't tried the Benq but the HD131xW for me has been good aside from a strange hint of light that comes out past the velvet edge of the fixed screen. Very, very, subtle but it's gotta go back and since the HD131Xe is on sale right now for $720 that's probably worth trying.

The black levels are good but so are the colors. I've been watching on eco mode without any issues even with 3D. I got some Saintronics glasses, 3 for $75 and they are excellent. Actually the fact that it had 3D out of the box was one of the reasons I went with it over the 1070. I may end up testing the 1070 as well, will report back if I do.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post

Actually the fact that it had 3D out of the box was one of the reasons I went with it over the 1070.

Can you please explain this comment? How does the W1070 not have 3D 'out of the box'?? I have this projector, I am very happy with it and I am puzzled by your comment.
post #10 of 49 Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Can you please explain this comment? How does the W1070 not have 3D 'out of the box'?? I have this projector, I am very happy with it and I am puzzled by your comment.

The hd131xe comes with DLP-Link emitter built-in. I don't know about the 1070. Do you have to supply the DLP-Link or RF emitter with it? IDK.
post #11 of 49 Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

The hd131xe comes with DLP-Link emitter built-in. I don't know about the 1070. Do you have to supply the DLP-Link or RF emitter with it? IDK.

There is no need to purchase any thing (other than 3D glasses) with the W1070 and W1080ST as the DLP-Link is part of the projected image and neither uses RF, so your assumption is invalid.

Both projectors are capable of 3D straight out of the box. Just switch it on, provide a valid 3D source and put on your 3D glasses.

Maybe you needed to do a little more research before you made your choice if it was based on the Benq needing additional equipment to do 3D,
post #12 of 49 Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

There is no need to purchase any thing (other than 3D glasses) with the W1070 and W1080ST as the DLP-Link is part of the projected image and neither uses RF, so your assumption is invalid.

Both projectors are capable of 3D straight out of the box. Just switch it on, provide a valid 3D source and put on your 3D glasses.

Maybe you needed to do a little more research before you made your choice if it was based on the Benq needing additional equipment to do 3D,

Very true but the Optoma also has a Vessa port so you could add an RF emitter to use active 3d glasses in addition to DLP glasses. Some like active better since there is no red flash. Considering both units the reviews of the Benq have been much better.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 AM

I thought the red tinge was only noticeable with certain glasses? I've found with mine on my 1070, the 3d looks very red and not good at all without the glasses on. When you put the glasses on the red completely disappears.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
True, some glasses are much better than others. Some people still prefer projectors that can use active 3d glasses.
post #15 of 49 Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:

Well. I made no assumption. Reread my words. I said I did not know. I was not saying one was better than another. I was trying to help.
I don't think either machine or system is better than the other.

please reread my words carefully. I had zero agenda. This is silly. smile.gif

Good luck.
post #16 of 49 Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I already got the Optoma before I got any posts on this thread.
Thanks for the info guys.

post #17 of 49 Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had this same dilemma, couldn't decide between the BenQ W1070 or the Optoma HD131Xe. I don't think you can go wrong with either, so after much research, I just ordered the Optoma. (lower price and higher rated black levels)

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #18 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 AM

I did the same thing. Went with the HD131Xe for the reported better black levels and shadow detail. I was tired of comparing them online and got the Optoma. It's time to take down the G70 with the help of my friends. I'm sad to see it go since I hung it in our new how 8 years ago and never turned it on waiting for me to finish the basement. In electronics once you buy you better use it or lose it. What size screens are you guys using and anyone have any AT screens and are there problems with the projection with those?
post #19 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Report after report after report is the same - The Optoma has better black levels, but otherwise doesn't perform as well as the W1070 for color reproduction and in other areas, so the W1070 is the one which gets the nod for the better overall image quality. While black level is the most important detail, it is still just one of many details which go into the image, and those other details are where the W1070 wins out. I'm sure if the W1070 had the same black levels as the Optoma, nobody would really think about the Optoma, but since the Optoma does have the better black levels, people tend to react like that's the only thing that matters.

Both projectors are solid entry level units, and neither should be compared to the JVC RS46 or similar models with truly stellar black levels, but for the money, they really can't be beat.

I think room placement is one of the biggest determining factors with these models. But, in an open design with no placement issues on either model, then the model which continues to get the best overall performance rating is the W1070, and that's the one I recommend.

I think the color balance that BenQ delivers with a 6x RGB/RGB color wheel is what allows it to look so good overall and best the HD131x. I have no idea why Optoma isn't putting that color wheel into their home theater projectors.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #20 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM

im weighing the same projectors right now. doesnt better black levels make the overall colors in the image pop more and seem better?

post #21 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infomatrix View Post

I'm weighing the same projectors right now. doesn't better black levels make the overall colors in the image pop more and seem better?

Answer ..... NO.

Did you read the previous post to yours #19?
post #22 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Well after checking what I need for my room, I just ordered the Optoma. I was initially going with the Benq but it looks like the throw distance and projector placement works much better on the Optoma for me. I wanted the Benq if I could have made the placement work for me.

I have a table that is close to the wall that I can set the projector on and just move a couple things so the view isn't blocked. Otherwise the Benq would have to be mounted on the ceiling much closer and with about 15"-23" drop to avoid a fan.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #23 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM

Liked: 11

You made a good choice, I too was torn between the BenQ and the Optoma, But pulled the trigger on the HD131xe. I've had it set up for the past week now and I've fed it with every 3D game and 3D/2D Movie out there and absolutely love it. It simply came down to a better contrast ratio with deeper blacks (upgrading from the Infocus IN116 which has a low contrast ratio and basically grey blacks, also 3D was really washed out). Yeah lens shift is great (BenQ) but that was the only advantage over the Optoma. I have it ceiling mounted @ 16' 5" throw which produces a beautiful 140" (diagonal) screen. Let Me/all of us know how you like it.

post #24 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I'll have it on a table about 12ish feet away from the screen, I don't know yet how big a screen I can get until I get it on that table and see where I can arrange things so it's got an unobstructed view. I'll be somewhere between 95"-105." It's a bedroom so I'm limited in my choices. I'm going to get the projector in there. Then, find out where my screen will work and then I'm going to start wiring to hang the back speakers. Then I'll be painting.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #25 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Check out www.projectorcentral.com and use their calculator for projector placement if you haven't already. It's a must because you don't want to maximize or minimize your projectors zoom to fill the screen with this projector, it will ultimately reduce overall picture quality. And without lens shift the website will help you dial in exactly where your projector needs to be placed for your desired screen size. 

post #26 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhusk503 View Post

Yeah lens shift is great (BenQ) but that was the only advantage over the Optoma.
I think people need to read more reviews.

Consistently, people who have put the Optoma head-to-head with the BenQ have chosen the BenQ as the better model because it has more accurate colors, it doesn't produce as much noise in the image, and provides a better overall viewing experience.

Since it isn't really in the specifications, you have to read reviews and head-to-head comparisons.

For example, from ProjectorReviews.com -
Quote:
The key thing here, is that if you do want great, on the money color accuracy, this probably isn’t your first choice in the under $1000 range. I’d tend to lean toward the BenQ W1070

Also, don't confuse black level (which is above average) with shadow detail, which is about average.

Noise was reported as an issue with the HD131x as well, which is not an issue with the W1070.

These aren't thinks you will read on paper, and certainly are things which should be considered with any projector purchase. It isn't me saying that the HD131x is bad for sure! It's a very capable entry level model, but in a choice between the W1070 and the HD131x for overall image quality? Especially in a non-dedicated room? I think the W1070 is still the projector to beat.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #27 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhusk503 View Post

Check out www.projectorcentral.com and use their calculator for projector placement if you haven't already. It's a must because you don't want to maximize or minimize your projectors zoom to fill the screen with this projector, it will ultimately reduce overall picture quality. And without lens shift the website will help you dial in exactly where your projector needs to be placed for your desired screen size. 

I have and that's where I came up with the range, I just don't know the exact dimensions of the projector and where it will sit on the table. So that's why I have that range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Consistently, people who have put the Optoma head-to-head with the BenQ have chosen the BenQ as the better model because it has more accurate colors, it doesn't produce as much noise in the image, and provides a better overall viewing experience.

Since it isn't really in the specifications, you have to read reviews and head-to-head comparisons.

Also, don't confuse black level (which is above average) with shadow detail, which is about average.

Noise was reported as an issue with the HD131x as well, which is not an issue with the W1070.

These aren't thinks you will read on paper, and certainly are things which should be considered with any projector purchase. It isn't me saying that the HD131x is bad for sure! It's a very capable entry level model, but in a choice between the W1070 and the HD131x for overall image quality? Especially in a non-dedicated room? I think the W1070 is still the projector to beat.

Like I said, I wanted the Benq, because of those reasons. But the throw range wins in my situation. The picture would be way too big for the wall at the distance I need.

That, and $70 cheaper is a bonus.

I saw the sample picture on one of the reviews of a James Bond flick where the flesh tone wasn't quite right. We'll see when I get it in person if I can live with it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #28 of 49 Old 02-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Also I got a stellar open box deal on Amazon for $600.00, so with all the research I did that's what really tipped the scale toward Optoma for me. Patience is key when trying to shop for a decent budget HT set up. 

post #29 of 49 Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I found a coupled of review saying the opposite (?)
Me too i'm hesitating between these 2 pj.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/benq-w1070-or-optoma-hd131x.1821188/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-MNFW5PNk
post #30 of 49 Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM

I'm on an almost similar situation, the only difference being that I was also considering Acer H6510BD. I have since discarded the Acer (unless somebody convince me otherwise) but I have a couple of doubts that maybe somebody can answer.

But before I start, let me add two assumptions I have:

1) As far as I know, the BenQ W1070 and the BenQ W1080ST are the same projector but with short throw. So when I say W1070, I'm also saying the W1080ST.
2) The HD131xe and the HD131xw are the same projector only in black and white casings. So, if I say HD131xe, I'm also saying HD131xw.

So, at first I wanted the BenQ, it is the number 1 projector at Projector Central, at HT and 3D. But after reading a little bit on the BenQ thread here, there are a lot of complains of quality control issues, and rattling noise of the fan, so that made me doubt it. Also, it has been at $900 for the last month at AMAZON, and at that price, is a little too much as I have seen it at $750. Even the W1080ST, which is normally more expensive, is at $875, so I don't want to pay it that much.

On the other side, the Optoma HD131xe seems to be a very good all around projector, and the price on amazon is much better than those of the BenQs, but I currently have an Optoma GT700 and while it has served me just fine, I have had a couple of issues with it that I don't like:

1) I have not been able to see 3D content with it from my HTPC equiped with a Radeon 6570. The problem seems to be compatibility issues with my Onkyo HTX-22HDX. That means that if I connect the HTPC directly to the GT700 it shows all the 3D options, but if I connect the HTPC through the Onkyo and then to the GT700 I don’t see any 3D options.

I even opened a thread here and was replied that "The Optoma can do 3D only in 120 Hz frame-sequential, not HDMI 1.4a (frame-packed at 60 Hz), which is what the Onkyo will pass-through. You need a player that will convert the video (frame-packed bluray, over-under/side-by-side file, etc.) to 120 Hz 3d (the projector should be set at 120 hz 720p)".

If I buy the HD131xe, would I have the same 3D compatibility issues?

2) After two years, the color wheel broke, and it had to be changed. Maybe it is because while I live at 8500 feet above sea level, I never use it on “high altitude” mode as it does a lot of noise, and since the average temperature is 59 degrees fahrenheit, I thought it wouldn't matter.

If I buy the HD131xe, would I have to use it on "high altitude" mode, or can I just use it normally? I ask because the GT700 on high altitude mode was VERY noisy, to the point it was not possible to see a movie.

Briefly: The BenQ seems to be an excellent projector but it appears it has QC issues and lot of fan noice. The HD131X is an all around excellent projector, but I'm not sure if I would have the same compatibility issues with my Onkyo, and if it would be good for my 8500 feet of altitude.

So, what would be the best fit for my needs? BenQ W1070/W1080ST? or Optoma HD131Xe/HD131xw? Any other?

THANKS!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page