Advice for New Projector & Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How much do you have to spend these days for a good mid-upper range projector and screen? Thinking 100-120 inch screen Modest size room with LP about 10-15 ft from the screen. I'm thinking that I will need a screen as well that mechanically lowers from the ceiling. What are some good options for both the projector and screen if budget is less than $3k. Is it realistic to have a budget that low and expect really good picture quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I believe a good majority of posters on this forum have a projector and screen under $3000. You'll have to narrow your question to get some answers.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You'll want a tab tensioned screen if you get something pull down/electric lowering. It's pretty expensive compared to a good fixed screen, so I'd rethink that part.

As for the overall budget, you will be perfectly fine. You can get a very good looking 1080P picture starting at about $1k and IMO you can put together a very good budget setup for around $1.3-1.5k now. $3k total can step you up a level with black levels and ANSI contrast. But as with most things in consumer electronics there are tradeoffs with each technology, so stating what is important to you is necessary to really make any better recommendations.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

You'll want a tab tensioned screen if you get something pull down/electric lowering. It's pretty expensive compared to a good fixed screen, so I'd rethink that part.

As for the overall budget, you will be perfectly fine. You can get a very good looking 1080P picture starting at about $1k and IMO you can put together a very good budget setup for around $1.3-1.5k now. $3k total can step you up a level with black levels and ANSI contrast. But as with most things in consumer electronics there are tradeoffs with each technology, so stating what is important to you is necessary to really make any better recommendations.
the first part of your answer was the kind of info I was looking for. As for the projector, that's also what I wanted to hear. I had read that the quality of projectors for the money you spend had gotten much better in the last 5-10 yrs. Thanks for the info.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page