HDMI cable length and signal loss - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > HDMI cable length and signal loss

Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

triggerhippie's Avatar triggerhippie
09:19 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 9
01-14-2014 | Posts: 21
I'm forced to use a 15m long HDMI cable and for all practical intents and purposes this length does not seem to affect the PQ. How do I go about testing signal strength though? Is there a way to be sure no handshakes are being lost? eek.gif
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G
09:54 AM Liked: 119
post #2 of 9
01-14-2014 | Posts: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhippie View Post

I'm forced to use a 15m long HDMI cable and for all practical intents and purposes this length does not seem to affect the PQ. How do I go about testing signal strength though? Is there a way to be sure no handshakes are being lost? eek.gif

I have a 45 foot length of decent high speed HDMI cable and it has been working fine for 7 years. If you are getting a decent picture with no sparklies or handshake problems (loss of picture) you're good.

If you're still not happy with my answer visit the HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World forum for more information.
triggerhippie's Avatar triggerhippie
10:17 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 9
01-14-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I have a 45 foot length of decent high speed HDMI cable and it has been working fine for 7 years. If you are getting a decent picture with no sparklies or handshake problems (loss of picture) you're good.

If you're still not happy with my answer visit the HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World forum for more information.

OK, thanks a bunch. So, as long as I'm not getting "sparklies" or complete black outs, I should be fine, right? I shouldn't be concerned about lowered bitrates or anything else that is not so easily observable?
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G
11:00 AM Liked: 119
post #4 of 9
01-14-2014 | Posts: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhippie View Post

OK, thanks a bunch. So, as long as I'm not getting "sparklies" or complete black outs, I should be fine, right? I shouldn't be concerned about lowered bitrates or anything else that is not so easily observable?

Correct.
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated
08:30 PM Liked: 366
post #5 of 9
01-14-2014 | Posts: 3,420
There is no such thing as lower bitrates. Data either arrives or it does not. Data which doesn't arrive appears as sparklies or with a cliff effect.

No video is a sure sign that you've gone to far, but sparklies are a good indicator as well.

I've run video up to 1080p/60 at 75 feet without issue. It's all about using a well constructed HDMI cable. I generally use the Monoprice HDMI 22AWG cables for long length runs and so far... so good.
NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat
02:17 PM Liked: 98
post #6 of 9
01-15-2014 | Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

There is no such thing as lower bitrates. Data either arrives or it does not. Data which doesn't arrive appears as sparklies or with a cliff effect.

No video is a sure sign that you've gone to far, but sparklies are a good indicator as well.

I've run video up to 1080p/60 at 75 feet without issue. It's all about using a well constructed HDMI cable. I generally use the Monoprice HDMI 22AWG cables for long length runs and so far... so good.

The guy at BB Magnolia told me that his $200 Monster Cable would be very important for my 30' run. "People shouldn't ceap out on cables . . ." rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif
swedish cook's Avatar swedish cook
02:42 PM Liked: 14
post #7 of 9
01-15-2014 | Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

The guy at BB Magnolia told me that his $200 Monster Cable would be very important for my 30' run. "People shouldn't ceap out on cables . . ." rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Cable quality is key for analog audio cables, for HDMI though, as mentioned further up, the signal gets there or it doesn't. I'm running a 30' cable that was a fraction of that cost (about 100 USD but 3 years ago when HDMI was newer) with never a problem, including 3D. These shop guys will also swear you need to spend $30+ on a 6' cable for your TV, where <$10 is more realistic.

NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat
03:12 PM Liked: 98
post #8 of 9
01-15-2014 | Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post

Cable quality is key for analog audio cables, for HDMI though, as mentioned further up, the signal gets there or it doesn't. I'm running a 30' cable that was a fraction of that cost (about 100 USD but 3 years ago when HDMI was newer) with never a problem, including 3D. These shop guys will also swear you need to spend $30+ on a 6' cable for your TV, where <$10 is more realistic.

I agree on all your points. I called his bluff a little bit, but didn't want to be too much of an a-hole since I may need a good deal from him soon wink.gif
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated
09:26 PM Liked: 366
post #9 of 9
01-15-2014 | Posts: 3,420
For 6' and less cables, the Super Slim HDMI cables from Parts Express can't be beat from what I've seen. They are almost as skinny as the Redmere cables, but have no active components to fail and aren't directional and they cost less than half as much. That's the only way to go IMO for shorter cables. I use them all the time, and have them installed with my HDBaseT units and they work perfectly.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread