Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By killerdoberman

post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's been forever since I have posted anything, but I think this deserves to be posted.

My Optoma HD70 is a real trooper. What I should be saying is...I kicked the living crap out of that thing and it has served me well! Very well!

I installed my projector December 2006. I have a stay at home wife, and a young daughter. The projector is my main TV in the house, and it is on most of the day...everyday.

After using it for everything from Disney Channel to HBO from Wii to Xbox, and movie nights for the wife and I, I still love this little projector. Paying just shy of $1000 for it, 6 replacements bulbs, and over 22,000 hours of operation time. My little Optoma HD70 decided to let me know she wanted some personal attention.

About a year ago, there was a faint hum, like a bearing was starting to go in one of the fans. Somedays it would be a little louder then others, and other days I didn't hear it at all. Well, this past Saturday I started it up to watch some football, heard the hum for a little bit, and 15 minutes later *BOOM*!!! It sounded like a glass just shattered on the ceiling...then silence. The screen was only showing black and white. Ah, crap! The color wheel shattered into a million pieces.

A quick research on the internet machine, I purchased a new color wheel. Now, I am just waiting for the hardware to arrive.

In the meantime, I pulled the 43" from the kids playroom in the basement, and its on a temporary stand. Last night, I asked my wife, "Is it time to scrap the 80" projector, and just put the 43" on the wall?" Her reply, "Are you kidding me?!? You take my 80" away and give me this tiny 43". Ah, no!" "Can you fix it? Did you order the pieces?" And of course I said, "I give her hell, hon!"

My story will continue once I receive the color wheel.

shawnharper and ben38 like this.

My DIY Rack
I took the RED pill.    ...and still haven't swallowed the BLUE pill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Liked: 10
My HD70 is due for a bulb replacement, first in 7 years. Wondering where you got your 6x from and your satisfaction level(s) with each, if from different sources. Trying not to pay 280 for OEM.

5200: 00004-54831-88075
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
The color is installed and working! Success!!!

As for the bulbs, I buy them through ebay. Here a link to the seller's site.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/apexlamps

And their current HD70 lamp auction (buy it now) - as of 1/30/14.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Projector-Lamp-OPTOMA-HD70-OEM-BULB-New-Housing-180-Day-Warranty-/300955822284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46125d68cc

I pay about $125, and that includes shipping. Usually arrives in 5 days.

My DIY Rack
I took the RED pill.    ...and still haven't swallowed the BLUE pill.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 10
I bought some stuff from them when they were just started out. Good reputable seller who will list if the bulbs are genuine factory replacements or not.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd70 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page