viewsonic PJD7820HD vs benq w1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Am I gonna kick myself for getting the viewsonic and saving 140 bucks? Any others in this price range I should be looking at?

Mike Clough #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm interested in both of these PJ's. I was going to purchase the BenQ, then found the Viewsonic for $200 less. Specs are about the same, except the VS has 1000 more lumens and a 3 year warranty, for $200 less. Interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat or tried each/both?

Epson 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70W830B LED TV
Xbox One & PS4
Gamertag: JonnyRingo619
post #3 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post

I'm interested in both of these PJ's. I was going to purchase the BenQ, then found the Viewsonic for $200 less. Specs are about the same, except the VS has 1000 more lumens and a 3 year warranty, for $200 less. Interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat or tried each/both?

Ya I'm trying to figure why the benq would be so much more. I need to get a projector before the superbowl!

Mike Clough #24
post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I would personally opt for the HD131x from Optoma or the BenQ W1070 before considering anything from Viewsonic. My experience with Viewsonic from various reports (2nd hand) and installations (first hand) is that their build quality is just terrible. This leads me to not recommend them. Much like LG TVs, I'm sure the image looks reasonably good, despite some test reports of poor image uniformity and a bit of noise from the fan, the projector looks good and seems solid for the price. But, I want a projector to last and I don't want to have to deal with warranties or maintenance. But, with a 3-year warranty, I would expect that Viewsonic is trying to combat their poor quality issues. I just don't believe that the projector will last one day longer than those three years, and may be in for service at least once during those three years.

The W1070 does have a bit less offset, which isn't a big deal for most.
The W1070 has a 6x color wheel (RGBRGB) which is perhaps one of my biggest reasons for liking it over other models such as the 2x color wheel of the Viewsonic.

No, clearly I'm not a fan, but I don't have to live with it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post

Ya I'm trying to figure why the benq would be so much more. I need to get a projector before the superbowl!

I actually just ordered a Optoma HD131Xe from Best Buy, on sale for $719. It was a tough choice between the Optoma and the BenQ as they're the 2 highest rated I've seen for this price point. I went with the Optoma because it edged out the BenQ for black levels and shadow details and it was $150 less. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

Good luck!

Sony 70W830B LED TV
Xbox One & PS4
post #6 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I actually just ordered a Optoma HD131Xe from Best Buy, on sale for $719. It was a tough choice between the Optoma and the BenQ as they're the 2 highest rated I've seen for this price point. I went with the Optoma because it edged out the BenQ for black levels and shadow details and it was $150 less. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

Good luck!

You're probably right that you can't go wrong with either. I had both the 131xe and 1070 in my house at the same time. The 1070 won my vote quite quickly with its colors popping off the screen far more. I watched parts of the movie "Elf" with the 131 and was underwhelmed with the picture. I returned it and decided to get the Benq whenever the appropriate time comes. But, some would argue against me! Congrats on your purchase!
BDUB619 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good luck!

Thanks fore the advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I would personally opt for the HD131x from Optoma or the BenQ W1070 before considering anything from Viewsonic. My experience with Viewsonic from various reports (2nd hand) and installations (first hand) is that their build quality is just terrible. This leads me to not recommend them. Much like LG TVs, I'm sure the image looks reasonably good, despite some test reports of poor image uniformity and a bit of noise from the fan, the projector looks good and seems solid for the price. But, I want a projector to last and I don't want to have to deal with warranties or maintenance. But, with a 3-year warranty, I would expect that Viewsonic is trying to combat their poor quality issues. I just don't believe that the projector will last one day longer than those three years, and may be in for service at least once during those three years.

The W1070 does have a bit less offset, which isn't a big deal for most.
The W1070 has a 6x color wheel (RGBRGB) which is perhaps one of my biggest reasons for liking it over other models such as the 2x color wheel of the Viewsonic.

No, clearly I'm not a fan, but I don't have to live with it.

Thanks a bunch! Any suggestion between the optoma hd131 and the benq W1070 when it comes to gaming?

Mike Clough #24
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post

Thanks a bunch! Any suggestion between the optoma hd131 and the benq W1070 when it comes to gaming?

I'm interested in this also. My main uses will be for Bluray movies and gaming. I just ordered the Optoma but never too late to cancel and get the BenQ lol

Sony 70W830B LED TV
Xbox One & PS4
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm interested in this also. My main uses will be for Bluray movies and gaming. I just ordered the Optoma but never too late to cancel and get the BenQ lol

Are they both 120hz? And black levels are important as well.

Also I am ordering a 123" fixed frame so does either of these have any problems with a particular size?

Mike Clough #24
post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
For gaming, both have about 1 frame of lag which is consistent with most DLP models. This is a very fast response time and the image remains sharp.

Not sure what frame rates are accepted beyond 60hz for anything, but that will be detailed in their owner's manuals. Since all HDTV and movie video is 60hz or 24hz that's all that really matters. I believe that the W1070 is a 144hz 3D model, so 72hz triple flash for each eye. But, not sure on supported resolutions outside video standards or how much it matters.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My understanding is that the main difference between these two is that the Optoma carries a better contrast level and shadow detail, but the Benq does better with colors. I should also point out that I saw much more rainbow artifacts with the Optoma when compared to the Benq. This may have to do with the Benq's faster color wheel.

The Benq won my vote mostly for the superior picture and colors.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pjd7820hd Full Hd 1080p Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page