JHouse, thanks for an excellent review. I'm a newb to pj systems, would like to ask you a few questions about the 485w. But first some background:
Working for the USG, we move around the world every 2-3 years to a new country. In the past, we have shipped several 50-60" tvs, but they are becoming a pain due to different electrical grids and possible damage during shipment....the word "fragile" has a huge spectrum of interpretation. Plus, we want More Screen™!
Due to the frequency of moves, and since every house layout is different (including the ability to control light), we think a short-throw system would be the easiest to install from both a pj setup and a cabling/audio setup as well. I don't have the skill/time to build a solution from scratch, so I'm considering just duplicating an existing successful setup (i.e. yours). With lamps about $80, your solution seems to fit the bill.
1. The specs indicate we can get a 100" display with a placement 22-23" from the wall...is this correct from your experience (your pictures seem to be evidence enough, but I'll ask anyway...)?
2. There are several models of Elitescreen available on Amazon...given our circumstances, any recommendations on which type to get (Ciniwhite, PowerGain, AcoustiPro, etc)?
3. As we'll be shipping the screen around as well, should we consider another make/model of screen?
4. Alternately, we can paint the walls when we move in to our housing. Other websites have found good results with a smooth enamel satin white paint that is used for trim/doors; this seems to work well for the projectors. Your thoughts?
5. At ~22" from the wall, it seems we should we get a 109" inch screen. However, if we find ourselves in a situation where we can put the projector further away from the wall, would it make sense to get a bigger screen?
6. Any thoughts on buying the 485 now compared to waiting for the upcoming Philips Screeneo or Sanyo products due later this year, or any other ultra short throw products or solutions we should consider (I think we can safely ignore the Sony 4k)? All I could find was that the upcoming Philips and Sanyo products have lower lumens, and "better" connectivity.
7. Would you recommend the 485wi (or purchasing the optional wireless module)?
8. Any significant disads to the 485 from your experience (it looks like it has only up to 3000:1 contrast ratio)?
I apologize in advance for all the questions.
I'm selfishly glad you're bored!
I noticed your other post on the Sony CT660 before you responded...I'll dig into the specs of that unit. Thanks again for your assistance!