LED Projector assistance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all, first post.  I came to this forum due to a post on amazon from a consumer who said that he was guided by the recommendations made from this forum.  I'm no "projector" expert but I have narrowed down my research to LED projectors.

This is what I like 3-D

Watch sports, movies and video games

can be use for work presentation/power-point etc

high definition but without high end price under

portable

700 lumens or more

Under 1k

So far I have done my homework on these models below, I am leaning towards the Optoma ML750, unless you guys have another better option??  thank you for your assistance!

Optoma ML750 WXGA 700 Lumen 3D Ready

LG Electronics PA75U

ASUS LED Projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You can't do 3D at any reasonable size with 700 "rated" lumens. I have a LG PA70G (almost the same as the 75U) and I never really bothered to mess with the 3D because at 110" it was acceptable brightness in 2D, but no where near there in 3D where you lose about 60-70% of the brightness.

If 3D is really important for you, then you'll want to look at a bulb projector. The good news is that there are plenty of "home video" bulb projectors that will do what you need in reasonable form factors and still be pretty portable and able to do a presentation even better than a small LED model. The good news is that the bulb projectors will have superior optics and resolution (1080P vs. diamond pixel 720P). For $1k you can buy a projector and ensure it'll have bulbs for a solid 10,000+ hours or more.

700 lumens in a bright conference room is going to have you projecting maybe a 40-50" image that's all washed out with the projector whining away on max brightness. For comparison, your average projector you find in a conference room is going to probably be 3000+ lumens.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

You can't do 3D at any reasonable size with 700 "rated" lumens. I have a LG PA70G (almost the same as the 75U) and I never really bothered to mess with the 3D because at 110" it was acceptable brightness in 2D, but no where near there in 3D where you lose about 60-70% of the brightness.

If 3D is really important for you, then you'll want to look at a bulb projector. The good news is that there are plenty of "home video" bulb projectors that will do what you need in reasonable form factors and still be pretty portable and able to do a presentation even better than a small LED model. The good news is that the bulb projectors will have superior optics and resolution (1080P vs. diamond pixel 720P). For $1k you can buy a projector and ensure it'll have bulbs for a solid 10,000+ hours or more.

700 lumens in a bright conference room is going to have you projecting maybe a 40-50" image that's all washed out with the projector whining away on max brightness. For comparison, your average projector you find in a conference room is going to probably be 3000+ lumens.

Truly appreciate the help, now what would be a good recommendation for a bulb projector?  I've seen home theater projectors from Epson ranging from anywhere from $400 to $800, also Optoma brand, BenQ, Viewsonic, these are DLP projectors since I'm no expert on this topic I have learned that lumens is extremely important, aspect ratio, resolution format of WUXGA, WXGA is becoming the standard and also, 1080pm or 720p, also, throw distance, which I have no clue about, lol.  According to some reviews many users like the 720p projectors, some can't tell the difference in quality of picture, personally I can't comment or know which I would be satisfied with.  All I know is that I need something for business use, home use and travel with also a projector that would well packed with features and something that I won't need to replace like next year.  So the projector needs to be well balanced out, wireless too. I maybe asking for too much for my price point but I'm sure that something is out there that would serve my needs.  I came to this site due to a recommendation from a Amazon customer who rated about AVS forum and how he got the best help for his projector purchase.  These what I came up with, however, if you guys could recommend something that would be great too! Thanks again!  So far I like the Optoman and the Epson, however, other brands seem to be good too..  Honestly, I'm all confused and I don't know which route to take so I need HELP!  Thought that an LED Projector would work best but I guess not!

Optoma GT760 720p 3400 Lumen Full 3D

DLPBenQ W710ST

BenQ W1070 1080P 3D

Epson EX7220 Wireless WXGA 3LCD Projector, 3000 lumen

Epson V11H558020 Home Cinema 730HD

ViewSonic PJD7820HD Full HD 1080p 3D-Ready Projector with HDMI

Casio XJ-A256 3000 Lumens WXGA DLP Projector with USB and Wireless Projector

PowerLite 1776W WXGA 3LCD Projector

post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

IMO, the price premium of 1080P projectors is small enough that it's silly not to go with one in the grand scheme of all the costs.

I'd personally choose the Benq W1070 based on your requirements. Everybody seems to be happy with the 3D due to the 144 Hz triple flash.

It's reasonably portable, and could do a presentation just fine in a pinch delivering roughly 2000 lumens in torch mode. Just make sure the throw range and offset (with a small amount of vertical lens shift) works for you.

There's a big W1070 owners thread in here that you can read to get an idea. I'd probably start at the end or middle since it's 200+ pages long. It seems to be pretty solid with the later firmwares loaded.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing that I'm worried about is the lumen output of the BenQ W1070, should I be concern?  So what are these LED pico projectors all about?  I was thinking that they would be convenient to carry, travel and would serve a purpose as dual usage for business and home but I guess that i was wrong...  :(

post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgolatin2 View Post

The only thing that I'm worried about is the lumen output of the BenQ W1070, should I be concern?  So what are these LED pico projectors all about?  I was thinking that they would be convenient to carry, travel and would serve a purpose as dual usage for business and home but I guess that i was wrong...  frown.gif

Why are you concerned with the lumen output of the W1070 when you were originally looking for a 700 lumen projector. The W1070 will do nearly 1800-2000 lumens cranked up, while something like the LG PA75U will do about 500-550 or so and make the colors look neon at that brightness.

The LED portables are just what a lot of manufacturers are making when it comes to LED projectors. I guess they feel 700 lumens doesn't justify a larger case, I don't really know. They can display powerpoint files and whatnot natively (most of them), but at 500 lumens you're going to be doing it on a really tiny area compared to what you're used to with a business projector. Not sure why you think they'd replace a full business projector, as they are definitely not marketed as such.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgolatin2 View Post

The only thing that I'm worried about is the lumen output of the BenQ W1070, should I be concern?  So what are these LED pico projectors all about?  I was thinking that they would be convenient to carry, travel and would serve a purpose as dual usage for business and home but I guess that i was wrong...  frown.gif

Why are you concerned with the lumen output of the W1070 when you were originally looking for a 700 lumen projector. The W1070 will do nearly 1800-2000 lumens cranked up, while something like the LG PA75U will do about 500-550 or so and make the colors look neon at that brightness.

The LED portables are just what a lot of manufacturers are making when it comes to LED projectors. I guess they feel 700 lumens doesn't justify a larger case, I don't really know. They can display powerpoint files and whatnot natively (most of them), but at 500 lumens you're going to be doing it on a really tiny area compared to what you're used to with a business projector. Not sure why you think they'd replace a full business projector, as they are definitely not marketed as such.

Why? Because I assumed that having "LED" lights would give you higher light output since LED lights are stronger than bulbs.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

You've got it backwards, traditional UHW bulbs are much much brighter than LEDs right now and for the foreseeable near future. The lumen rating says it all, it is a direct measurement of how much white light the projector can deliver over the entire screen surface.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-19-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You've got it backwards, traditional UHW bulbs are much much brighter than LEDs right now and for the foreseeable near future. The lumen rating says it all, it is a direct measurement of how much white light the projector can deliver over the entire screen surface.

Correct that's why I join this site to make the proper selection.. Thanks! wink.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Ml750 Wxga 700 Lumen 3d Ready Portable Dlp Led Projector With Hdmi , Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Ml750 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page