Back in the game ... need a projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been without home theatre for 5 years after moving into a place with no finished basement. I'm having a theatre built down there beginning next week and I'm trying to decide what PJ would be right for me.

The room is 12x24 and I'm thinking of doing an acoustic transparent screen and having two rows of seating ... One at 12 feet and the other at 17 or so feet.

I'm leaning toward a 120 inch 16/9 screen or maybe, just maybe a 140inch 2.35/1 screen.

My viewing will be split equally between sports, movies and HDTV in a fully light controlled environment. One important thing to know is that as a Canadian hockey is important by law and I need a PJ that can handle the fast action. I might watch a 3D movie once every couple months but its not very important to me.

The projectors I'm looking at right now are the Sony HW55ES and the Epson 5030UB. There is a demo JVC x55 at the local shop but I've read they aren't great with action.

Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated. Also, my budget tops out at about $3500.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac35 View Post

I've been without home theatre for 5 years after moving into a place with no finished basement. I'm having a theatre built down there beginning next week and I'm trying to decide what PJ would be right for me.

The room is 12x24 and I'm thinking of doing an acoustic transparent screen and having two rows of seating ... One at 12 feet and the other at 17 or so feet.

I'm leaning toward a 120 inch 16/9 screen or maybe, just maybe a 140inch 2.35/1 screen.

My viewing will be split equally between sports, movies and HDTV in a fully light controlled environment. One important thing to know is that as a Canadian hockey is important by law and I need a PJ that can handle the fast action. I might watch a 3D movie once every couple months but its not very important to me.

The projectors I'm looking at right now are the Sony HW55ES and the Epson 5030UB. There is a demo JVC x55 at the local shop but I've read they aren't great with action.

Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated. Also, my budget tops out at about $3500.

Thanks!

I was looking at the same projectors. I ended up opting for the 55es because i game quite a bit (cod). The only problem is trying to get one. I ordered before christmas and have been told mid Feb.-March. I am coming from an epson 1080ub pro. I would go for the 55 or the epson for sure since you'll be watching alot of sports. If you will ever play a first person shooter then you will want the sony, It seems to be the best overall pj.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #3 of 3 Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
The Sony or a JVC would be my first choices. You should look at sports on the JVC before ruling it out. The LCoS technology is just a good deal better than LCD from what I've seen personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page