So I've finally convinced my wife to let me spend money on a pseudo HT in the basement. It won't be a dedicated room, rather something I am throwing into a corner on an open plan against a 6'6" high by 12'3" all. I've had a number of questions racing through my mind and could use some help. There is a window well about 30 feet away and the drop ceilings have tube lights. Thats the only source of ambient light. So the mind dump begins...
1) Given the size of the wall, I am landing on a 100" diagonal and looking to pick up a 49" by 87" fixed framed screen. Given the wall is only 78" high, and having read in some forums that the bottom of the screen is recommended to be 3 feet off the ground (I won't have rows of seating), is putting this size of a screen feasible?
2) There is a soffit running down one side of the ceiling and the projector placement can not be center to the wall. In fact, it is off by 1.5 feet. Given a drop ceiling, I will be getting a mounting plate, where the rod drops 8.5". The soffit height is 4", which I didn't include in the wall height of 78" i stated before. So with the mounting plate, the top of the projector will be roughly 4.5 inches below the top of the wall (8.5" from the drop ceiling - 4" soffit height). Given the top of the screen could be above the projector, does vertical lens shift adjust upwards or downwards? The bottom of the projector will be 70" off the ground. Is that a common thing?
3) I want to connect xbox one for kinect and other features, and will probably want a short throw projector to eliminate any shadows on the screen when kinect is being used. I have a sectional going into the area, where main seating position will be 12' from the wall, but the long side of the sectional will run under the soffit towards the screen wall, and seating distance on that side can be as close as 5 feet. Is that too close for a 100" screen? If I get a short throw projector where I can get that from a 5 feet throw distance, and off center by 1.5 on the wall mount, is this doable? Will it look awkward?
4) I haven't bought into the 3D hype yet and that feature on today technology projector is not important.
5) Given all these points, am I better off getting a 70" vizio m70 tv and forgetting about the projector setup?
6) If not, what projector would you recommend that handles short throw at .6, vertical and horizontal shifts to move updown 6inches on the wall and left right 1.5 feet from the mount, 1080p 16:9 native, 3d not a must, good quality projector? I looked at that BenQ but there was no horizontal shift that I would need for the off center mount. What type of zoom would I need?
7) Is there any other configuration that can be recommended? Should I go with a smaller screen?
Thanks again in advance for any help.