Need Help on Projector for Multipurpose Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-24-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of finishing my basement which includes a multipurpose room I want to put a projector in. The room is about 18'L x 15'W, and is more of an "open" room which will include a sectional sofa for seating. The projector will be used for TV/sports viewing, video games and movies. I'd like something that will allow for some light from other areas of the basement while watching TV or playing video games, along with almost no light for watching movies. Daylight is not much of an issue - there are only 2 windows in the basement and they are not near the viewing area.

I'm planning on going with a 100" 16:9 fixed screen. The projector will be ceiling mounted, and I have the ability to place it anywhere from 11' to 17' from the screen. This is where i'm thoroughly confused - I have no idea which projector will work best for an open room with this size screen and throw distance. I was interested in the Optoma HD25LV and BenQ W1070 but it seems like both of these are geared towards larger screens. At 100", The W1070 shows an optimum throw distance of about 9.5' and the HD25LV is about 12'. What I don't understand is the projector calculator shows both of these in the "red" on the slider for image diagonal and throw distance - should I be looking for a projector where both fall in the "green" on the slider? I was also looking at the Epson 5020UB but that's stretching my budget.

Any input to help me decide whats best would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any recommendations for this setup, or any other projectors I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-24-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Projector Central is stupid for using 'red' as a color. It says right on the page 'Recommended image brightness for rooms with ambient light".

Since you just described your room as one which will have ambient light from time to time, then it sounds like you are looking at the right projectors.

For what it is worth, you can always dial back brightness, get a grey screen with .8 gain, and/or get a neutral density filter (sunglasses) for your projector. So, having a bit of extra brightness is almost never a bad thing to have.

Get the Optoma or the BenQ and call it a day.

Plan some flexibility, if you can, in your mounting location! The W1070 is shorter than typical and allows for a 100" diagonal from 8'4" to 10'11" from lens to screen. The HD25LV allows the projector to be 10'11" to 13'1" from the screen. So, lens to screen distance of 10'11" is the ONLY common area with a 100" diagonal screen (I wonder if they planned this?).

Anyway, not sure your screen size is large enough really. What is your planned seating distance? STANDARD would be for a 12' viewing distance to have a 110" diagonal, with many people going a bit larger in size.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks AV. This is helpful in getting me started. My seating distance will be about 13'. I'd like to go a little wider on the screen but the side wall of this room has built-in bookcases which go all the way into the corner. With 100" screen, until I put my floor standing speakers on the sides of the screen it won't give me much room between the speaker and the bookcase. Does 100" sound reasonable for 13' viewing distance?

That brings up another question (which perhaps belongs in another part of the forum). I've always had floor standing speakers for my past and current 5.1 setups and always assumed anything smaller will sound inferior. Perhaps I could go with a bigger screen with smaller wall mounted or in-wall speakers. Are there in-wall speakers which sound just as good as floor standing speakers?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1021 View Post

Thanks AV. This is helpful in getting me started. My seating distance will be about 13'. I'd like to go a little wider on the screen but the side wall of this room has built-in bookcases which go all the way into the corner. With 100" screen, until I put my floor standing speakers on the sides of the screen it won't give me much room between the speaker and the bookcase. Does 100" sound reasonable for 13' viewing distance?

That brings up another question (which perhaps belongs in another part of the forum). I've always had floor standing speakers for my past and current 5.1 setups and always assumed anything smaller will sound inferior. Perhaps I could go with a bigger screen with smaller wall mounted or in-wall speakers. Are there in-wall speakers which sound just as good as floor standing speakers?

I am at 13'1 and have had many optoma projectors a Sony HW30es, and a panasonic ae7000u and they all filled up the 100" screen I have. You will be fine there unless you go with the Ben q in which you will need a bigger screen or a different mount site...also on the speakers I love the sound of floor speakers and agree with you, anything else sounds inferior.....But because of my current setup i have to have wall mounted ones..what I am saying is I prefer floor speakers personally.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page