Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear All:

I've had my Epson 8700UB for roughly 2 1/2 years, and have had good experience to-date. No real issues so far ... until last night!

I was looking away from the screen and all of a sudden, i heard a very loud POP. I looked in my living room, and noticed that the screen was blank.

From the type of popping sound, and the fact that the screen is now black, I looked up at the ceiling mounted Epson 8700UB, and found one red light "on". It is far up there and I just didn't look too closely, assuming that it is the bulb having popped.

I have an extra bulb (original Epson, given free as part of the purchase freebie special for a period of time back when I bought this projector) that's been sitting in a shelf for 2 1/2 years now, so that's good.

Would you guys think it is merely the bulb that went? Or could something more serious have happened?

I've also never cleaned the filter for the past 2 1/2 years. Is that the culprit?

The projector is mounted from the ceiling and I'll need to wait till this evening to climb up to do all the work to clean the filter and change the bulb. I have a new bulb but no new filter, so I'll have to merely clean the filter carefully and hope that will suffice.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sure sounds like a bulb expiring. You'll know as soon as you remove the bulb and have a look at it. Not cleaning the filter definitely doesn't help - it restricts airflow and means the bulb gets hotter than it should. Make sure you clean it now - tap it several times on all four sides to shake off the surface dirt, then vacuum it (from the outside of the filter) to pull out as much as possible of what remains. Don't vacuum from the inside or you'll pull dirt further into it.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
First off my guess is the lamp overheated due to the clogged filter! You should clean the filter every 40 or so hours. - Bohanna
post #4 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks to the comments above.

I never knew that every 40 hours, I'd have to climb up there to clean the filter! Is that a commonly known fact?

Considering how high it is mounted, it is an inconvenience.

I didn't know that one MUST vacuum from the OUTSIDE of the filter! Good pointer. Thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM

Liked: 34
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules - like any filter, it's going to depend on the environment it's used in, and is usually cleaned/replaced 'as required'. What does your manual say?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My filter turned out to be not dirty at all! Strange. Attached is a picture immediately after I removed the filter from the projector.
[Note: I live in the middle of the city!]

My Lamp Hours is also ridiculously low at 2,089 Hours! That is way way below the Epson-claimed number of hours!

That is not right - too far off from the claimed hours!

post #7 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

My filter turned out to be not dirty at all! Strange. Attached is a picture immediately after I removed the filter from the projector.

My Lamp Hours is also ridiculously low at 2,089 Hours! That is way way below the Epson-claimed number of hours!

How Lamps Age and Fail

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry my friend but the lamp filters you posted are dirty. On a one to ten I would call them about an 8. Along with using a vacuum cleaner and pulling the dirt OUT of the ribbons I would use soft toothbrush and your finger to flick them several times and if you have access to a compressor use some compressed air. If you have a leaf blower use that as well and blow them OUT. The objective is to blow them in the opposite direction that they filtered the air in. As far as regular cleaning 40 to 50 hours is optimum. You can go as long as you want but you will get the same result with blown lamps and you will allow dust blobs to form on the optical block . The other thing I would do is try to wait at least 10 minutes before you restrike the lamp after shutting it off- Bohanna
post #9 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

Sorry my friend but the lamp filters you posted are dirty. On a one to ten I would call them about an 8. Along with using a vacuum cleaner and pulling the dirt OUT of the ribbons I would use soft toothbrush and your finger to flick them several times and if you have access to a compressor use some compressed air. If you have a leaf blower use that as well and blow them OUT. The objective is to blow them in the opposite direction that they filtered the air in. As far as regular cleaning 40 to 50 hours is optimum. You can go as long as you want but you will get the same result with blown lamps and you will allow dust blobs to form on the optical block . The other thing I would do is try to wait at least 10 minutes before you restrike the lamp after shutting it off- Bohanna

@Bohanna: thank you for your advice. duly noted. i ordered an original Epson replacement filter but it will only arrive after roughly 7 days.

when you said my filter is an 8 on a scale from 1-10, is 10 the cleanest or is 1 the cleanest? i couldn't figure it out!

in the meantime, may i ask if i ought to put the projector in "High Altitude Cooling Mode"? this is so that the next 7 days, the projector will see adequate cooling DESPITE the fact that my current filter is only an 8.

i was thinking that at least for the next 7 days, the fan will be working hard for several days in order to maintain proper cooling to the brand new bulb!

Thanks in advance.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@Bohanna: thank you for your advice. duly noted. i ordered an original Epson replacement filter but it will only arrive after roughly 7 days.

when you said my filter is an 8 on a scale from 1-10, is 10 the cleanest or is 1 the cleanest? i couldn't figure it out!

in the meantime, may i ask if i ought to put the projector in "High Altitude Cooling Mode"? this is so that the next 7 days, the projector will see adequate cooling DESPITE the fact that my current filter is only an 8.

i was thinking that at least for the next 7 days, the fan will be working hard for several days in order to maintain proper cooling to the brand new bulb!

Thanks in advance.

1 is the cleanest 10 is the dirtiest. Unless I'm wrong Yours should be white. You can clean your current filter pretty well if you follow my instructions. I would use the high altitude mode 24/7 and set the lamp output on economy if you have it for the first 5 or so hundred hours of the new lamp. This will help with the new lamps burn in so it doesn't cook your blue LCD panel and polarizer.

Since your filter is made of paper DO NOT USE water or liquid to clean it! Many of the youtube howto's tell you to blow the dust out of the fans. DO NOT unless you are SUCKING it out with a vacuum cleaner. ANY Dust that makes it past the filter will eventually make its way into the optical path and collect on the panels. The quickest way to see how dirty your machine is to put up a white image and back and forth the focus lens. You will see all kinds of stuff you didn't see with it focused.

I believe your filter should look like this

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357886/new-epson-3d-projectors-3010-5010-6010/360

Bohanna
post #11 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 91
Quote:

Always frustrating when you are on the wrong side of an average curve. It sucks for sure. But the 3000 hours is an average based upon a defined operating conditoin. Some bulbs will make it 4000+ hours...some 1000. One of the not so obvious gambles of owning a front projector.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #12 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

I believe your filter should look like this

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357886/new-epson-3d-projectors-3010-5010-6010/360

Bohanna
No sir, air filters look like this only when they are new. Used filters do not become pearly-white after cleaning. They always look "dirty white" even after cleaning. Doesn't mean that they need replacement.

OP's issue may not be related to air filter at all. It looks clean to me. It could be random bulb failure.

Epson's projector manual does NOT recommends regular cleaning of such air filters. Instead it asks users to clean it only if "projector overheating" message is displayed on screen. Even when projector is turned off, Air filter effectively blocks normal room dust from entering the insides of projector. When you take air filter out for cleaning it unnecessarily, you leave a gaping hole into the insides of projector and risk getting dust deposited in optical assembly.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You may think this filter is not dirty but most people on seeing the difference would disagree. A filter this dark indicates a heavy smoker...or some sort of smoke in the air.

True, vacuuming a filter may not return a filter to a pearly white color but if dutifully maintained should still appear white and only slightly darker. Epson's advice to not clean your filter until the projector exhibits a problem is strange to say the least.

-

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #14 of 14 Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post

No sir, air filters look like this only when they are new. Used filters do not become pearly-white after cleaning. They always look "dirty white" even after cleaning. Doesn't mean that they need replacement.

OP's issue may not be related to air filter at all. It looks clean to me. It could be random bulb failure.

Epson's projector manual does NOT recommends regular cleaning of such air filters. Instead it asks users to clean it only if "projector overheating" message is displayed on screen. Even when projector is turned off, Air filter effectively blocks normal room dust from entering the insides of projector. When you take air filter out for cleaning it unnecessarily, you leave a gaping hole into the insides of projector and risk getting dust deposited in optical assembly.

The OP stated that he hadn't Cleaned the filter in 2&1/2 years so DUH???? The filter is dirty . Another hint is no cleaning in over 2000 Hours. I didn't say that the cleaned filter had to be white but the one in the picture is dirty, Its the micro particles that clog the air path and allow the lamp to overheat and "Pop" I really don't care what the manual says about cleaning the filter after getting a overheating warning,,,, By the time that happens the lamp is already on the way out and probably dimpled. - Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page