Help with mounting an Epson 5030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In another thread Zombie10k recommended an Epson 5030 for the theater I am helping my Dad design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The trick with the HP is that the projector should be mounted as close to the center of the screen as possible for maximum gain. Either a shelf or wall mount works well if the room allows for it.

So based on his recommendation, I am trying to setup a 120" (likely HP) screen to get the best 2D/3D combo we can. The problem I am running into is that the online Epson calculator must have some sort of error in it because it doesn't seem to match with the owner's manual.

Best I can tell from their bad instructions is that in ceiling mode the bottom of the image is going to be ~88" from the lens center. For my dad's setup, we want the screen bottom to be at about 24" off the floor (10' ceilings), so that would put the projector hanging about 8" down.

If that's true I have two options. Inverted shelf mount on the back wall (about 21' away from the screen) or ceiling mounted anywhere along the path up to the nearly 12' minimum distance, but I don't think either of these is what Zombie meant when he said to center the projector to the screen.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post

In another thread Zombie10k recommended an Epson 5030 for the theater I am helping my Dad design.
So based on his recommendation, I am trying to setup a 120" (likely HP) screen to get the best 2D/3D combo we can. The problem I am running into is that the online Epson calculator must have some sort of error in it because it doesn't seem to match with the owner's manual.

Best I can tell from their bad instructions is that in ceiling mode the bottom of the image is going to be ~88" from the lens center. For my dad's setup, we want the screen bottom to be at about 24" off the floor (10' ceilings), so that would put the projector hanging about 8" down.

If that's true I have two options. Inverted shelf mount on the back wall (about 21' away from the screen) or ceiling mounted anywhere along the path up to the nearly 12' minimum distance, but I don't think either of these is what Zombie meant when he said to center the projector to the screen.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Forget the Epson calculator, it has issues. The 5030 is a very easy projector to install since it has extensive lens shift in the vertical and horizontal. With a 10 foot ceiling I see zero issues. Just make sure to center the projector to the screen width.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Personally I wouldn't mount a projector that far (21 feet) from the screen. Rule of thumb - not too close and not too far, 16 feet is about the sweet spot unless this distance interferes with your setup.

Not sure about the selection of an HP (High Power) screen, there are disadvantages.
Jonnio likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
With a HP screen, you want the PJ centered as much as possible vertically as well as horizontally. The image brightness is substantially reduced when viewing off axis.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Forget the Epson calculator, it has issues. The 5030 is a very easy projector to install since it has extensive lens shift in the vertical and horizontal. With a 10 foot ceiling I see zero issues. Just make sure to center the projector to the screen width.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Personally I wouldn't mount a projector that far (21 feet) from the screen. Rule of thumb - not too close and not too far, 16 feet is about the sweet spot unless this distance interferes with your setup.

Not sure about the selection of an HP (High Power) screen, there are disadvantages.

Thanks, 16' is doable and we should be able to mount it without using much, if any, lens shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

With a HP screen, you want the PJ centered as much as possible vertically as well as horizontally. The image brightness is substantially reduced when viewing off axis.

I guess I need to read more because this is what I am kind of missing -- Does "centered vertically" mean that it is mounted right where it should be so that there is minimal vertical correction or does it mean you should have the pj rightside up so that it is physically lower on the screen.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post

... Does "centered vertically" mean that it is mounted right where it should be so that there is minimal vertical correction or does it mean you should have the pj rightside up so that it is physically lower on the screen.

It means for a HP screen to look its brightest, the PJ lens should be as close as possible to eye level - the higher the gain, the more directional is the light reflected. Move the PJ up or down, you'll lose gain - just like if you stand up from your seating position, the image will dim. Think of some of the old rear-projection TVs, where you had a very narrow viewing cone with a reasonably bright image.
Jonnio likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes sense
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version