5020ube for my apartment, is it worth it?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all,

I am looking to set up my first projector for my apartment, please bare my ignorance. I understand that it also depends on my room, but I'm not looking to set up anything too complicated. I want something that displays as clear as an HDTV. Is there a cheaper alternative than the 5020ube? I have read numerous other threads, and seen people using projectors that cost way less. The photos of the display looks clear, but course I can't tell without seeing it live. Please help, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I would be looking at the entry level DLP's as in Optoma HD131e or BenQ 1070 for your first projector. The 5020 is a more mid level projector for dedicated theaters that are optomaly light controlled. The DLP's will be sharper but not as good black levels as the 5020 but it won't mater if your walls are white (as most aparments are) and you can't repaint. If RBE is a problem (it isn't for most) the the entry level espson 2030 would be worth a look.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I'm just going to agree with the above poster. I will add that the 2030 doesn't look as sharp as the Epson 3020, so that may be a better route if you want LCD and a sharp image.

I would definitely get the JVC RS46 over the 5020 - it's about $2,600 or so brand new. It also will make a better transition to a home theater if you go that route.

But, the entry level DLP projectors produce one of the sharpest images out there for the money. The HD131X has had some reported focus issues, but that may have been a manufacturing issue that has been resolved. The BenQ has some minor focus issue reports as well.

Keep in mind, a 120" screen will be nine times the size of a 40" HDTV without any more resolution. So, it will never be as sharp from the same distance. But, it will still be very sharp looking.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to go with the epson 2030. How do I know which screen to choose? Thanks again!

post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 08:44 PM

the opyom HD25e would be an excellent home theater starter and for continued use, since it doesnot have the focus issue of the 131XE and has the same cheaper lense replacements, and high on brightness even for a living room, and also doesnot have the washed out blacks of the even brighter HD25-LV.. it also has lowest input lag imes according to most reviews and much higher color richness and contrasts than the epson LCD models below 5020...

for the best of middle of everything the HD 25e could be the unbeatable projector in its price range and class..
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page