Looking for (room) optimizations with PT-AE8000 projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

Since two months I have a new projector (Panasonic PT-AE8000) mounted at the ceiling and I want to get all potential out of it. 

Throw range is about 3.60m and the projector screen is 190 cm horizontal

Here's a picture of my setup:

The screen is just a basic white "Projecta" screen. The walls are grey, and the ceiling white... :confused:

Disney WOW calibration disc should be delivered next week. But I already adjusted some basic calibration settings which I've found on the AVS HD 709 calibration disc. After calibration the basic settings I still have some issues with the black levels. I think these could be deeper/richer than what i now have? Maybe contrast could also be better... 

Please, if possible, post some recommendations. Re-painting the room will not be an option I think... :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWortel View Post

Hi,

Since two months I have a new projector (Panasonic PT-AE8000) mounted at the ceiling and I want to get all potential out of it. 

Throw range is about 3.60m and the projector screen is 190 cm horizontal

Here's a picture of my setup:

The screen is just a basic white "Projecta" screen. The walls are grey, and the ceiling white... confused.gif

Disney WOW calibration disc should be delivered next week. But I already adjusted some basic calibration settings which I've found on the AVS HD 709 calibration disc. After calibration the basic settings I still have some issues with the black levels. I think these could be deeper/richer than what i now have? Maybe contrast could also be better... 

Please, if possible, post some recommendations. Re-painting the room will not be an option I think... frown.gif

You need to treat your ceiling and side walls that lay within 1.5 meters of your screen. Black velvet is the best and can be made removable from the walls with a little work.
There is a black theater thread in the > $3000 forum where I and others have posted info on how to do this as there are many options.
See this link for some ideas, there are comments under some of the photos once you click on the thumbs
Living Room update for projection

The issues is screen is lighting up the light colored surfaces and they are in turn lighting up the screen. You must remember that black on your screen is absents of light. If the light from wall lights up the spot on the screen that is black and should have no light it will not be black.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 02-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Also, if you're trying to get plasma-like black levels, that's really more realistic for the >$3k LCOS units. Your AE8000 is a good projector, but it won't do that type of black levels.

Can you also adjust the iris to be more aggressive? There are a few settings on my Mitsu HC7900 that adjust the aggressiveness of the iris and how much the peak brightness clamps down.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page