Sony VPL HS51 Blue Light Issue fix or New projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a Sony VPL HW 51 projector which is exhibiting a blue light leakage issue. Any one experienced this issue and is there a fix ?

The light first appeared at the bottom of the screen and now it's slowly creeping up to the left side of the screen. The degradation is rapid, so I need to find a fix or find a replacement projector.

Currently using a 110" Carada (1.0) gain 16:9 screen, 11 ft from the seating position and the projector is ceiling mount.

We are very happy with the image from the Sony and are leaning to replace with either HW30 or HW50 ES.

Budget is around 2500/- so HW30 ES is preferred, wondering if HW35ES will be released anytime soon.

I did find an Epson 5020 UB for $2100/- for an AV shop close by.... but have read mixed reviews on the web regarding issues.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-08-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I'm guessing you mean the HS51 from Sony. I don't think they had a HW51.

Anyway, I'm thinking due to the age of the projector you are looking at burnt polarizers which means a new optical engine...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HS51.htm

Which means a new projector is far more the way to go.

The HW30 and HW50 models are SXRD (LCoS) instead of LCD, but will have a similar look to the motion with far better black levels and performance overall. If sticking with Sony, you will be very happy with either of those models. Comparable may be the JVC RS46 which can be had for about $2,600 or so and produces a stunning image.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My bad, it's HS51 as you pointed out.

Thanks for the info, yeah it makes sense to move on and get a new PJ.

I will try to find an AV shop which has these projectors on display and take a look before I pull the trigger.

Looking forward to improved black levels on the current Sony compared to HS51 smile.gif

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hs51 , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page