Any PJ that's even remotely as vibrant and colorful as LCD TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had Optoma HD33 for over 2 years now. Been watching all movies on it exclusively. Didn't watch TVs anywhere else, actually. Recently bought some Westinghouse cheap LED TV and Coby LED for my other rooms, strictly for in-bed watching of TV shows... Somehow never tried to watch regular movies on them or even think to compare the quality.

Was too tired tonight and decided to watch Hansel and Gretel on the Westinghouse in the bedroom, in bed. The movie looked fantastic. Vibrant colors, contrast, blacks... Then I thought, ok, this movie is too beautiful to watch on a 46" TV, lets move to 138" screen... so I did. Holy crap did the picture look like pile of dung compared to the TV. Dull, washed out, horrible blacks... I read all this praise about fantastic quality of DLP projectors, HD33 in particular, so it kind of burned in my mind that my screen is the best quality in the world... now I realized I've been watching all the movies with like 70% picture quality loss. I mean it has that "cinema" look but damn the picture is ugly. After a few minutes I went back into the bedroom quite depressed. There's nothing wrong with the PJ, lamp is new, always looked like this, room is dark, it's properly calibrated and all, just... I finally LOOKED at the PQ rather than size...

I think I will stick with the TV for now, but my question is now: is there a PJ that is vibrant enough to get anywhere close to the TV? Maybe one of the LCD ones? Cause I think I need a new PJ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
What screen are you using? a lot of the color pop comes from using a quality screen instead of just a painted wall or other cheap screen material. Also, what are the conditions like in your viewing room? Are there lots of light colored walls or white ceiling? All these things can wash out an image, even in a room with excellent light control. Is it possible that the high brightness of the TV's make the colors "pop" more? Just thinking here, personally, I have been very happy with vibrance from projectors, and I am sure if you went over the high end area here, you would find people with setups that would take your breath away if you saw them in person.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
You need more screen gain, and maybe a smaller screen. IMO, your brightness on a HD33 is on the very low end of acceptable at 138" diagonal.

Don't blame projectors in general, blame your poor setup.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

is there a PJ that is vibrant enough to get anywhere close to the TV? Maybe one of the LCD ones? Cause I think I need a new PJ...

Just about every single one of them on the market can meet and beat LCD TV.
Unfortunately there is more to it than plugging it in and turning it on.
You have to consider the room environment, i.e. properly treated ceiling and walls within no less than 5' of the screen
Properly sized screen with the proper gain to match the projectors output so as to provide the 16+fl in a completely dark room.
Proper seating distance for a given size screen (sitting to close to a to large screen may show pixels/screen door etc you would not see on a small TV or at proper seating distance)
Properly setup/calibrated for the most accurate color is also helpful
Don't expect to turn on the lights when watching..
post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have a Focupix screen, white 1.3 gain. I used the distance/gain calculator to buy the right size/gain screen. My room does have white-ish non-glossy textured ceiling, but otherwise the room is dark (dark brown non-reflective wallpaper, dark carpet). Throw distance is about 15ft. If anything, according to specs and calculator my PJ is TOO BRIGHT for 2D for that screen/distance.

I think it actually has the PQ that is expected from a PJ in general... I mean, it's exactly the same picture quality as I see in movie theaters, no worse (we have AMC and Regal digital). But not better, just the same. Some would call it "cinematic" picture. I was happy with it for so long, I don't know why, it's just suddenly I realized TVs are so much better.

I was planning to go even bigger for my next home, 150" or 180", but now I don't know anymore.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You should have pretty good experience with that setup, I don't know how you are perceiving things differently, I know of post production studio that does editing work on a projector in one of its rooms for a group.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

I have a Focupix screen, white 1.3 gain. I used the distance/gain calculator to buy the right size/gain screen. My room does have white-ish non-glossy textured ceiling, but otherwise the room is dark (dark brown non-reflective wallpaper, dark carpet). Throw distance is about 15ft. If anything, according to specs and calculator my PJ is TOO BRIGHT for 2D for that screen/distance.

I think it actually has the PQ that is expected from a PJ in general... I mean, it's exactly the same picture quality as I see in movie theaters, no worse (we have AMC and Regal digital). But not better, just the same. Some would call it "cinematic" picture. I was happy with it for so long, I don't know why, it's just suddenly I realized TVs are so much better.

I was planning to go even bigger for my next home, 150" or 180", but now I don't know anymore.

Isn't your projector RATED at 1800 lumens? Meaning it probably ends up with around 600-900 once calibrated to a good looking picture? Too bright for 2D viewing is probably north of 35-40 ft-L, and you're no where near that.

When the projector calculators tell you that you can have some minor amounts of ambient light, they mean a VERY small amount, like a 20-40W equivalent light bulb not aimed at the screen. Your white ceiling reflects that much and more light back onto the screen.

So again, you're at a very low brightness level on your setup. Not all projector setups will look like that.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page