Need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Starting to get a little overwhelmed doing research. Below are my parameters...

*Sub $3000
*Want to project on a 2.35 screen (but will show 16:9 content for sports)
*Want a good 3D performer

I have it narrowed to the Epson 5030 and the Sony 50E...at the moment, but I keep jumping around. I'm not overly concerned about lens memory...unless adjusting back and forth manually is more difficult than I think.

I'm hoping to avoid the cost of an anamorphic lens, but that would likely give me better options.

Side question: Are there any issues showing 3D content through an anamorphic lens?

My Theater Build

Equipment List: Epson 6030, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front heights, Grafik Eye 3106....more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I'm going to assume that you have very good reason and room for a 2.35 screen over a 1.78 screen and a masking system.

I will also assume that the room is not only light controlled with dimmers and shades (or no windows) but also is PROPERLY light controlled with dark paint/furnishings.

That said, the Sony will give the better image. The JVC models (RS46/35 upwards) are all top shelf 2D and very good at 3D if you want to go that route.

I like the 5030, but I'm not sure if it supports the anamorphic zoom which would ever allow it to work with an anamorphic lens natively. Worth double checking on that. The 6030 definitely does support that function and Epson has historically left it off the consumer version of the same model.

I'm personally not at all a fan of the 'zoom method' 2.35 setup, but you have to live with it, not I. smile.gif

You really aren't choosing between a couple of junk projectors. They all look good, provide solid brightness in the space, and are reasonably reliable. From what I read online over the years, JVC and Sony tend to have a bit more reliability than the Epson models. Epson does good (typically) on their warranty, but you are more likely to need it with Epson.
thestoneman likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

The screen wall is 8'-0" tall x 14'-0" wide. I do not have a masking system figured out yet (I assume for the horizontal bars?)

You are right that the Epson 6030 (pro model) does support a lens. I'm just trying to get the best picture immersion I can without spending 5K+. Assuming there is a good projector that has the zoom capability, I don't mind manually zooming to cycle between 2:35 and 1.78.

My Theater Build

Equipment List: Epson 6030, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front heights, Grafik Eye 3106....more to come
post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What distance are you sitting at and what screen size are you considering. Worth saying that if you get a 10' 2.35 screen, it will not be any brighter or dimmer than a 10' 16:9 screen when using the 'zoom' method.

I use the W1070 on a 161" diagonal 16:9 screen with 8' ceilings and it's pretty astounding. I would consider going 2.35 only if the ceiling height doesn't support the width you want with 16:9.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow...That's way bigger than what I planned. Had planned for a 120" screen at 1.78 at 10'/11' viewing distance.

If the horizontal bars from 2.35 content on a 1.78 screen isn't that big a deal, I will forego the headache of figuring this out. I'm not super nit picky and if I can get a nice, big, immerse picture on a 1.78 screen, then I need to just go this direction. I'm not building a 50K dedicated theater room...just a media room.

My Theater Build

post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

My setup is in my unfinished basement, so a $800 projector on a $5,000 screen... that I got on eBay for $400. So, I'm not all about spending a ton of cash, but certainly you can add a masking system to any screen you want and IMO, in a good space you can get excellent results without masking.

You CAN though, get, or build, black masks which will work with any 1.78 screen no problem. Well, a bit of work, or you can use the Carada Masquerade system and your screen.

I tend to be very opinionated, then explain my opinion, so don't feel obliged at all with my opinion. But, I have seen a ton of people who have jumped on the 2.35 bandwagon because it is 'hip' rather than it being appropriate for their room and their setup. So, I try to add some perspective on all of it.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

You and I are cut from the same cloth...I'm sure I could get a sick set up when money is no object, but it is.

I think I am going to get the projector first and do some screen testing to determine what the best feel for the room is. I can always upgrade to a different screen and projector if need be. Thanks for your perspective.

My Theater Build

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030ub 3d 3lcd Projector With A Pair Of 3d Glasses , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page