Please help with a disappearing picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi there,

It's been a while now that I'm struggling with an irritating problem. Every time I'm using my HC the image begins to drop after 30-45 minutes, with green screens (and sometimes a drop in the sound as well but not each time the image drops). It goes like this for 10-20 minutes, and then things go back to normal. I've tried to pinpoint the culprit as rigorously as possible and think it's the projector. Here's what I've tested :

• I've changed the hdmi cables and even tried with a very short one (with the projector close to the wall...) --> no difference
  • I've changed the AVR (from Denon to Anthem, not specifically for this problem thankfully) --> no difference
  • I've changed the sources used (dvd player, laptop, Apple TV) --> no difference

When listening to music only there's no problem. The projector is an Epson EH-T 480

What is really weird is of course the timing : if it'd be cause by overheat it shouldn't go back to normal after 10-20 minutes...

Any idea, similar experience ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

I've tried to pinpoint the culprit as rigorously as possible and think it's the projector.

You're likely right, I would suspect the HDMI board on the projector given all of the testing you've done. Is it still on warranty?

When you say the sound drops out occasionally - do you mean the sound on the internal projector speaker?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 130
What projector is this?
If the sound from your AVR is dropping it is not the projector.
If you take the cable that is plugged into the projector and plug it into a TV what does it do?

I have an HC3000 that I would setup and take down every night. After 3 years I wore out the HDMI port and the image would drop (black screen) till I wiggled the connector. After replacing the port socket all was good.
I would not condemn the projector till you see that this does not happen on some other display, be it a TV or a borrowed projector.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You're likely right, I would suspect the HDMI board on the projector given all of the testing you've done. Is it still on warranty?

When you say the sound drops out occasionally - do you mean the sound on the internal projector speaker?

Thanks for your answer. It has 2 month left yes, but I want to be sure it's guilty before returning it.

Sometimes when the image drops the sound drops as well, from the AVR. I know this points toward the AVR but since the experience is the same with 2 different AVR it doesn't make sense to me. What if there was some sort of feedback from the projector when it's dropping the image that would make the AVR hiccuping ?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

What projector is this?
If the sound from your AVR is dropping it is not the projector.
If you take the cable that is plugged into the projector and plug it into a TV what does it do?

I have an HC3000 that I would setup and take down every night. After 3 years I wore out the HDMI port and the image would drop (black screen) till I wiggled the connector. After replacing the port socket all was good.
I would not condemn the projector till you see that this does not happen on some other display, be it a TV or a borrowed projector.

Thanks for your answer. It's an Epson EH-T 480

As I wrote to Mr G, I know this points toward the AVR but since the experience is the same with 2 different AVR it doesn't make sense to me. What if there was some sort of feedback from the projector when it's dropping the image that would make the AVR hiccuping ?

I should indeed try with another display but I don't have a tv at hand. I could try to rob my mother of her tv for 2-3 days but she wouldn't be very happy about that smile.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

Thanks for your answer. It has 2 month left yes, but I want to be sure it's guilty before returning it.

Sometimes when the image drops the sound drops as well, from the AVR. I know this points toward the AVR but since the experience is the same with 2 different AVR it doesn't make sense to me. What if there was some sort of feedback from the projector when it's dropping the image that would make the AVR hiccuping ?

I often advise members who seem to have HDMI related problems to post in another AVS forum:

HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

The gurus in that forum are pretty knowledgeable and may offer additional advice.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Have you bypassed the A/V receiver altogether? This is a very important test as it will help identify potential issues with the HDMI repeating between the source and the projector.

What type of HDMI cables are you using? You should always try different types of cables, and passive cables are a much better way to go than active cables if you can.

I'm assuming this is the projector:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson_Europe-EH-TW480.htm

If so, then with the price point, I would jump all over the warranty right now to make sure your claim is in place and valid. This is a very inexpensive model, so assuming a low budget on your part means that you don't have the cash to really mess around with it.

But, if you don't have an issue source to projector directly, then it's going to be something you will need to explain to Epson ahead of time.

I once had a BenQ projector which worked with 4 different HDMI source but NOT a PS3. The previous projector (same make) worked fine. BenQ took some convincing to replace it, but once they did, the replacement worked perfectly with the PS3. No cable changes, nothing. It just didn't like the PS3. rolleyes.gif So, yeah, this type of pure weirdness does happen from time to time and if you have the same issue directly connected to the projector, then I would contact them right away.

What is your total cabling distance with your typical setup?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Have you bypassed the A/V receiver altogether? This is a very important test as it will help identify potential issues with the HDMI repeating between the source and the projector.

What type of HDMI cables are you using? You should always try different types of cables, and passive cables are a much better way to go than active cables if you can.

I'm assuming this is the projector:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson_Europe-EH-TW480.htm

If so, then with the price point, I would jump all over the warranty right now to make sure your claim is in place and valid. This is a very inexpensive model, so assuming a low budget on your part means that you don't have the cash to really mess around with it.

But, if you don't have an issue source to projector directly, then it's going to be something you will need to explain to Epson ahead of time.

I once had a BenQ projector which worked with 4 different HDMI source but NOT a PS3. The previous projector (same make) worked fine. BenQ took some convincing to replace it, but once they did, the replacement worked perfectly with the PS3. No cable changes, nothing. It just didn't like the PS3. rolleyes.gif So, yeah, this type of pure weirdness does happen from time to time and if you have the same issue directly connected to the projector, then I would contact them right away.

What is your total cabling distance with your typical setup?

Thanks for your answer. I didn't try a direct connection, it's a good idea. I could unplug it from the AVR and plug it to the dvd player.

The hdmi cable from the avr to the projector is 10m long. I've tried with other cables though, as short as 3m, the projector standing in the middle of the room. There are also the hdmi cables from the Apple tv, dvd player (both 1,5m) and the one from the laptop (5m). The problem is similar with any cable tried (and very specific, with the signal dropping for 20min after 30-45min).

I think I'll try the direct connection as you mentioned and if nothing happens I'll contact Amazon. They won't be pleased, so close to the 2 years warranty limit... I hope they won't think I'm trying to get a new one.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite 480 3000 Lumens Xga Lcd Projector V11h485020 , Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page