150" screen, want 3D: Should I get Optoma HD25e or HD25-LV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which projector should I buy? I'm torn between the allegedly 2800 lumen Optoma HD25e or the allegedly 3200 lumen Optoma HD25-LV.

I'm going to be projecting onto a 150" ~1.0 gain Elite pulldown screen in a light controlled room. I want my projector to support that size well. I'd also like to have the option of viewing at that size in 3d.

Someone in forums claimed that the two projectors' 3D performance was identical, that the HD25-LV dimmed to the level of the HD25e when it was in 3D mode. A different poster in forums contradicted this, saying that the HD25-LV was brighter in 3D mode. Who is right?

My understanding is that the lamps for the HD25e are substantially cheaper than the HD25-LV, especially if you are buying OEM parts. Is this correct?

Not clear what my best path is given my large projection size. Can anyone help out?

thanks,
-K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM

depends on your main preference, room size, throw distance and ambient light control

1 - if 3D is your main concern, and with such a huge image size, you would definitely need all the lumens you can get.. so the obvious choice would be the very bright LV

2 - for 150 size, you need to calculate if your room can support this size with the projector distance calculator.. maybe your room could accommodate or maybe its smaller, you should check. if its smaller, then you probably can do well with the 25e and save money

3 - your room needs to be a proper bat cave for this size screen to work without the image washing out.. if its a dedicated theater room, then you are well on your way with even the 25e.. however for ambient light or watching in living room, you would be better with the LV

4 - LV is much more costly, and also, the replacement bulbs are also a lot more costly than the cheap 25e ones.. if you would be watching a lot on your projector, yu would be replacing bulbs every couple of years or quicker and cost would add up..

if your screen size ends up smaller due to calculations, you would be equally happy with the 25e.. if you have ambient light in room, and need full 150, go for the LV.. you can always dim the LV to 25e, but you canot bump the 25e to LV..
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

My room will support 150" projection; I checked using the online calculator. I bought 108" tall light-blocking curtains to mask the windows on one side, and I will totally block out the other windows in the room.

3D is *not* going to be the primary use of the projector, owing to the fact that there is not that much 3D content available. I am interested in figuring out whether the 3D brightness for these two projectors is identical, as one online post seemed to suggest (no idea if that post was correct or not.)

The Amazon prices for these two projectors are not significantly different: the HD25e is $899 and the HD25-LV is $1050. So I could go either way.

The Amazon prices for the lamps for these projectors do not seem significantly different either: the HD25e's lamp is ~$150 and the HD25-LV's lamp is $215. Caveat: these appear to be aftermarket lamps and not OEM parts.

The 400 lumen difference percentagewise does not seem that great; does anyone have first-hand experience?

If anyone has experience projecting content 150" on either of these PJs, I would be interested in hearing impressions.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
How far are you sitting from this screen? You may want to spend a little time looking at the dedicated theater builds for reference, you won't find very many people with 150" 16:9 screens
Just because you can put that size screen on the wall (i.e you have room for it) does not mean that will be better than a 120" screen.
You may be setting yourself up for a really big crappy picture..
14" seating from 110 is very comfy and 120" would be almost to big filling your vision completely..at least that is how it looks from my center chair.. Good luck and don't rush into any decisions.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really good question. The truth is that the room isn't enormous. I do enjoy a large image but perhaps I've gone a bit crazy with the 150" screen. I do have a 120" screen available as well, though I will need to consider if the projector placement can work if I go smaller. On a 120" screen I doubt I would be troubled by brightness concerns.

Anyone running 150" in HD and like it?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
No, but I'm running 161" on a 1.3 gain tab-tensioned motorized screen with the BenQ W1070 and I can tell you that it is great. Flat out - great. I use the projector in LOW brightness and the image is solid.

I use it in an unfinished basement with concrete floors, and the right wall is foil over insulation. Yeah, terrible room, terrible conditions. I mean, no light at night, but not even close to theater dark with paint and the rest.

I haven't played with 3D with it, but when lights are out, it looks great, and the image is 'acceptable' when the lights are on.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks AV_Integrated. Your experience and picture is very helpful. I'm always the guy at the theater in the third or fourth row, center, so the possibility of having a very big immersive image at home is attractive to me.

Longer-term I plan to paint the room/ceiling a dark/black color and either paint an ideally-sized screen onto a prepared wall or build and stretch a very large fixed screen. The room I'm working with is well-suited to a home theater. Kind of taking this step-by-step and for now having a 150" and 120" pulldown screen on hand will allow me to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a nice thing that playing around with all of these options is still considerably cheaper than buying myself a "small" 80-inch LED HDTV.

I am still deciding between the HD25e and the HD25-LV, but my most recent thinking is that the HD25e should be sufficiently bright for most of my use, which will be 2D. This is not the last PJ I will buy, and it will be easy enough to upgrade to something better in a year or two.

-K
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page