Read my horror story and help me set up a new Home theater - Also read if you are an Optoma owner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I am looking to set up a home theater in my basement but in order for you guys to properly help me, you will have to read through my horror story. I bought an Optoma HD65 few years back which had been running fine until recently when I decided to buy an Onkyo AV receiver. One day I plug my Optoma to my cable and xbox through the Onkyo SR-313 receiver and lost the signal to my HDMI. I would constantly get "no signal" on my projector no matter what source I used. I tried connecting my computer directly to the projector and it would not budge. So I finally decided to sell my projector for dirt cheap ($ 120) on Craigslist out of frustration. I should mention that all other inputs seemed to be working except for HDMI. I then found out that Onkyo receiver had also gone bad so I ended up sending it in for repair. Onyko had to change the motherboard on the receiver I believe and took 3 weeks to do it. After that, I did some research on budget projectors and finally ended up buying an Optoma HD131xe. I connect it to my same Onkyo receiver and to my amazement, the brand new projector ran into the same exact issue that my HD65 did. It would show no signal. Here's the interesting part, it only showed no signal for my cable box but would work if connected directly to my computer and only my computer. It would not detect any other source. My conclusion is that, my HD65's HDMI port did not go bad. But the onkyo receiver (or maybe my cable box) did something to the "resolution" settings of the projector. It seemed like it permanently locked onto a certain resolution for those sources. Not sure how much sense that makes but someone who knows ins and outs of projector might know what I am talking about.

I am now returning my projector and getting rid of the stupid Onkyo. No onkyo ever again and no Optoma ever again. Optoma HD131xe was also having handshake issues with my cable box even when connected directly. I have tried using a short cable.

So now this is where I need your help/input. I am looking for a projector that does not have all these compatibility issues. That can give me a crisp picture. I need a home theater system that has excellent compatibilty. below is the detail of my budget.

1- Projector (max budget 700-750) - I am thinking BenQ W1070 on sale?
2- Home theater receiver (max 150-200) - I have the speakers already.
3- DIY screen (max $60-70). I currently have a 85" screen but need atleast 110" . I am thinking Carl's blackout but some people are reporting that it comes creased?
4- A 25 ft HDMI cable. Which one is better? Blue rigger or Media Bridge ULTRA series?

Please make your suggestions. Also, any input on why i was experiencing issues with Optoma projectors? I googled HD131xe, and it seems like I am not the only one who had issues with getting Optoma and Onkyo to work together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use a couple 25' "Twisted Veins" HDMI cables that I bought from Amazon and haven't had any problems. Looking at the reviews, either of the cables you list should work just fine.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As you have discovered HDMI is not your friend. Because of all the DRM (digital Rights Management) it is a nightmare for consumers. Some of the entry level projectors seam to have more problems than most including the BenQ so I can't recommend any projector over the other. Any High speed HDMI cable that is built well enough so it doesn't fall apart (25' and under) should be fine. I have had no issue with my Optoma HD33 or the Mits HC7900 that replaced it using a Denon 1912 receiver. I have 4 HDMI splitters and run 4 TV's , 2 Uverse boxes, 3 Blu Ray players, two HTPC's and a PS3, 2 surround systems 2 HDMI runs at 50' with very few issues. For DIY screen material you might want to try spandex as its light and very stretchable. Check out the screen forums for help.
talkaboutav likes this.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #4 of 7 Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM

1. What are you looking for in a projector? Any idea how many lumens you need? BenQ's are nice.

2. 5.1 ok? How many hdmi inputs do you need? This is a nice budget receiver: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007L8Q75G

3. If it were me instead of going the DIY route I would spend a little more and get this screen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028EKTM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the picture shows a 4:3 but it is widescreen, they just re-use the same picture. Pull downs aren't the sexiest and sometimes they break but if you can leave it in the pull down position it should last you for a few years

4. I have a 50' Blue Rigger and it has been great.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult time. I can vouch for Blue Rigger hdmi Cables, I Use 2 35 footers in my setup. BTW I've had no handshake issues using my Yamaha receiver and Optoma projector.
Good luck!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
As mrjenk well said my friend, receivers from Yamaha will bring peace to your HT no matter what cables or sources.
I'm a pleased and amased with my 2020 for 14 months now, and plenty of stuff plugged into it.
My neighbours, ... ... not so much.
All the best
ps, for my money, I'll go with mids instead of entries
post #7 of 7 Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry, amazed
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd65 Plus 720p Dlp Projector With Backpack And Speakers , Onkyo Tx Sr313 5 1 Channel Home Theater A V Receiver Black , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page