Offset is killing me :(, need help in my search of a new PJ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-27-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So Ive moved and got around to putting my trusty old X1 back up. This is the 3rd place I've mounted it and it has always worked so well no matter the location.
But now.. Ive been researching a modern replacement and the offset of all the popular more budget oriented ones Ive checked so far are waaaaayyy less. The 1070 is sadly completely unusable.

I have a 20x20 foot media/gameroom above the garage with a 9ft ceiling. I have an ~92" screen that is likely lower than most at 16" off the ground, 47" from the ceiling.. I really like my screens to be centered at eye level and watching with head square. I hate looking up to watch, including in actual theaters. Anyway... currently the X1 is hanging at a nice 2ft from the ceiling at 7ft, but with the HD25 it is looking to be at best ~5' 8" high. Head bashing height. Or kid toy swinging range. Apparently all this time I've been spoiled by the X1 frown.gif. Which is of course due to it being a 4:3 gaining offset in 16:9.
And yes, I am considering the 25-LV. I could put it farther back, but my wife doesn't have the best eyes and doesn't want a huge screen.

Am I doomed? It is so time consuming to look up offsets with so many models out. Anyone have ideas on a model that may work for this? Need something on the lower end of the price spectrum. Used if an older model doesn't bother me. My only real cares are 1080p, HDMI, and low input lag. I'm up in the air on 3D, kinda whatever. This will be used for theater and everyday video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The Mits HC7900DW is designed with a large off set and large lens shift perfect for 9' + ceilings. At $799 its a steel ( this is new not a refurb). Its not really bright enough for a light colored or poor ambient light control but in a dedicated theater it heads above the entry level DLP's as in the Optoma's and BenQ.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ty, that is def now a candidate. The lumen output is a concern, but it is likely more than double my X1, so perhaps I can get by with not knowing the difference.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
a question about mounting the 7900- speaking of picture quality, is it better to use the offset, or mount it with the least offset possible.. I see guys say don't use keystone if possible as it degrades the quality..but what about offset??
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Offset is inherent in the PJ, physically part of it. Keystone is software 'twisting'. Not want you want to do as it changes the pixels from being square. Lens shift moves the whole picture complete without distortion.
Still I would say it is best to mount a PJ in your ideal location and then use as little correction as possible. Which means picking the right projector to begin with.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqht View Post

Offset is inherent in the PJ, physically part of it. Keystone is software 'twisting'. Not want you want to do as it changes the pixels from being square. Lens shift moves the whole picture complete without distortion.
Still I would say it is best to mount a PJ in your ideal location and then use as little correction as possible. Which means picking the right projector to begin with.

tooo late to pick the rite pj..bought a mit's 7900 from b and h for 799- don't need 3D as runnin component cable for 45ft.. replacing my 8yr old infocus 7205... with under 1000hrs on the orig bulb..

the infocus is mounted 17'6'' from the screen which is a clearpix 2, 115''... the screen is mounted 24 '' from the floor, so top of screen approx. 80'' off the floor - the pg in mounted on a pipe 86'' from the floor.. I plan on moving the mit's a bit forward, maybe 16' from the screen in order to give a bit brighter imagine... with the pg only about 6'' higher then the top of the screen, I guess i'll have to raise the pj some inches..

it will be interesting to see if the mit's will project a better imagine then the infocus... the consecus is that it will.. but the infocus is a light canon... its a dedicated theatre room, no windows, merlot walls, black ceiling, dark carpet... only used to watch the odd cablevision hdtv sporting event, n the rare movie... the mit's site says it should provide 16fl of light , while the infocus site says the 7205 is providing 24fl... that's a large diff... hope I made the rite choice...
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

anyone else with thoughts on a high offset option?
It is impossible to search for frown.gif
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
The Epson 5030 has lens shift and about the most you will find out there allowing about a full picture height of lens shift or something ridiculous like that. You could potentially RAISE the projector and still hit square to your screen with that model.

Unfortunately for you (but not almost anyone else), the high lens offset days of DLP are basically over. Most people have 8' ceiling heights, many have less. This ruled out the DLP projectors for so many people it was ridiculous, so DLP manufacturers have gone to a much lower offset lens design of just a few inches. While you can lower any projector you purchase, whether you want to or not, people can't raise their ceiling height in the basement, so using high offset models has just gone away.

Certainly the most discussed high offset projector out there right now is the Mits. 7900 which is very well regarded for the price point it is selling at. The Optoma models seem to have a fair bit more offset than the BenQ models.

Knoll has this model with a bit more offset...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Knoll_Systems-HDP2100_MK_II-projection-calculator-pro.htm

But, I think I would opt for the Mits. 7900, or the Epson 5030 over the Knoll, or I would work the setup for a BenQ or Optoma model if you are looking to keep the price down.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

anyone else with thoughts on a high offset option?
It is impossible to search for frown.gif

"Find Projectors By Feature" - http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm

And look for ones with Vertical Lens Shift. You could get the Epson 8345, if 3D isn't a necessity.

I just went through this with my 9'8" basement ceiling. Opted for the Mits 7900, the price is right, and so far I'm happy!

Matt

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #10 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

thx guys but too late.
I went for a budget upgrade with a used AX-200 with what is supposed to be a new lamp. For $500. Should be here Monday.
It will work out better for the family usage with higher overall brightness and auto ambient light control for kids during the day game use.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
people can't raise their ceiling height in the basement, so using high offset models has just gone away.

I'm in Houston, and I imagine countrywide, more people don't have basements than do tongue.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

I'm in Houston, and I imagine countrywide, more people don't have basements than do tongue.gif
Doesn't really matter what floor you are installing a projector on... It's still a lot easier to drop a projector lower than it is to raise the ceiling. biggrin.gif

But, any demand for a specific throw distance with offset can often lead to the requirement of a more expensive projector model with more placement flexibility. Unfortunately, DLP manufacturers have completely failed to deliver this while LCD and LCoS manufacturers have done an excellent job.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page