upgrade time - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Gentlemen, I come to you as I am in a conundrum. I'm looking at upgrading my Epson 8350 projector to something a bit better. I can't say how much I've enjoyed the 8350 since it's a great projector, and I only got it for $899 at Frys a few years ago, but now I'm looking for that next upgrade. specifically I'm looking for one that's not just "eh, that does look a bit better" but an upgrade where I can say "now THAT was worth it", if you know what I mean. I'd also like one that has 3D as well as an excellent 2D picture upgrade to my epson 8350.

I watch my PJ in a completely dark environment and the walls and ceiling of my projector room are all painted matte black to decrease reflections. All of this is projected onto a 120 inch Draper Cineperm 16x9 tabbed screen.

so, I would gladly welcome any and all advice on what would get me a very solid boost in 2D as well as 3D capabilities to my trusty 8350. I can spend about $2400 max (living on a budget makes it so I honestly can't boost my budget up to JVC DLA or Sony projectors of that like). also if I can't get that "wow" upgrade by shopping in this budget I'm more than happy to put my plans on hold since I'd rather not waste money looking into incremental upgrades.

I put this in the under $3,000 MSRP section, but I know my "Street" price is kind of at that stage where it skirts the line for MSRP, so if there's an above $3000 mrsp projector that I can get for my price range on sale or whatnot then I'm game for being pointed in that direction too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

Gentlemen, I come to you as I am in a conundrum. I'm looking at upgrading my Epson 8350 projector to something a bit better. I can't say how much I've enjoyed the 8350 since it's a great projector, and I only got it for $899 at Frys a few years ago, but now I'm looking for that next upgrade. specifically I'm looking for one that's not just "eh, that does look a bit better" but an upgrade where I can say "now THAT was worth it", if you know what I mean. I'd also like one that has 3D as well as an excellent 2D picture upgrade to my epson 8350.

I watch my PJ in a completely dark environment and the walls and ceiling of my projector room are all painted matte black to decrease reflections. All of this is projected onto a 120 inch Draper Cineperm 16x9 tabbed screen.

so, I would gladly welcome any and all advice on what would get me a very solid boost in 2D as well as 3D capabilities to my trusty 8350. I can spend about $2400 max (living on a budget makes it so I honestly can't boost my budget up to JVC DLA or Sony projectors of that like). also if I can't get that "wow" upgrade by shopping in this budget I'm more than happy to put my plans on hold since I'd rather not waste money looking into incremental upgrades.

I put this in the under $3,000 MSRP section, but I know my "Street" price is kind of at that stage where it skirts the line for MSRP, so if there's an above $3000 mrsp projector that I can get for my price range on sale or whatnot then I'm game for being pointed in that direction too

I would suggest looking at the $5000-$6000 units of a year or 2 ago used..
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I would suggest looking at the $5000-$6000 units of a year or 2 ago used..

as awesome as that would be PQ wise I assume.... I'm just not a person who's comfortable buying a used projector... it's part of my OCD I guess lol

I was thinking of the JVC DLA X35 too. I heard it can be had for about $2700 and has INSANE 2D picture quality
post #4 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 109
post #5 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

did you check out the AVS Bstock
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517783/sony-b-stock-projectors/0_100

oooh, not yet. are the B-stocks getting the full 3 year warranty or not cuz they're B-stock??? and how does the Sony HW50ES compare to the JVC XL35?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a VWPRO1 and my understanding is the B stock projectors still carry the standard Sony warranty that they would have had as new products.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page