Confused on brightness and zoom! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have an epson 8100 about 15' from a 100" screen.

I want to turn my room and go for a 120" screen. Problem is, That puts me down to about a 12' throw.

I'd also like to replace my projector with the brightest/best projector for < $1,500.

I like to watch a lot of sports with some ambient light, so 2000+ lumens is what I'd hunt for.

What I don't understand is, 12' seems kinda close for a 120" screen - will being that close make the screen brighter or dimmer? And/or cause any issue with focus and quality?

My short list for projectors that will hopefully improve on my 8100 would be:

Epson 8350
Optoma HD25e or LV
BenQ W1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
A projector lens is a projector lens is a projector lens. A well designed lens will maintain focus throughout the entire zoom range. As long as the projector can actually handle a 120" diagonal from a 12' throw distance (triple check!) then the image should be sharp edge-to-edge regardless of model you purchase. Now, the 8350 I would not consider to be much better than the 8100. It is now a design that is several years old, and is still loved because it has so much placement flexibility for the money, but isn't a class leader in image quality compared to the Optoma or BenQ models out there.

Brightness generally is brighter as you move a projector closer to a screen, but there is a chance of a VERY small softening of the image if you are closer in the zoom range of the projector. The 'sharpest' image is generally available more towards the back of the zoom range for any given projector. But, this is not universally true, as (once again) it falls into the design quality of the lens and optics itself.

I would stick with the Optoma or BenQ and call it a day. Maybe get a decent minimal positive gain screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

I'll play with the calculator at projectorcentral some more. It seems like I can pull that off, but I'm not sure what the top slider is telling me.

I've been a fan of the Epson projector and its support so I'd like to stay in their family, but they seem like they've jumped out of that $1000-$1500 range with their latest offering.

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector V11h336120 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W1500 1080p Hd Wireless Dlp Home Theater Projector Silver
Gear in this thread