Alternatives to BenQ w1080st - Long throw? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The BenQ W1080ST has received very good reviews and sounds like it would fit my needs very well - with one exception - and that's a showstopper: The ST (Short Throw). I need a projector that can project a 92''/233cm image (80''/203cm wide) from a 12' 10'' distance (390 cm), and that simply isn't possble with the BenQ. Also I have quite poor ligthting conditions in the sense that I have a lot of ambient light, and 2000 lumen is perhaps on the low side. I have an old HP vp6120 projector today. It is 2000 Ansi lumens, and quite dark and pale when I watch movies - which is my main use of the projector.

I have been looking at the InFocus IN3138HD which is 4000 lumens, but it only has a 5000:1 contrast, and that sounds like very little, especially with all that light. The Epson EH-TW6100 looks very promising. It only has 2300 Ansi lumens, but has a 40000:1 contrast, and therefore should be much better. It is a little bit on the expensive side for my taste, but I can live with that if it is good.

Anyone?

Thanks for any help!

Brgds

IVer in Oslo, Norway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
First, here is the list of 1080p projectors which can hit a 92" diagonal from 12.9' away.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=12.9&i=d&is=92&sort=pop&sz=15

Now, it just needs to be said that if you have a crappy room, then you should expect crappy results. Your contrast ratio will be LESS than 50:1 no matter what projector you own if you have a room in which you aren't controlling ambient light.

The best contrast is ONLY achievable in a dark room with dark carpet and dark ceilings and dark furniture with a good screen. If you have 10 lumens of ambient light, falling on each square foot of the screen, then you need 100 lumens of projected light on the screen to achieve a 10:1 contrast ratio. On a 92" diagonal screen, that is 25 square feet, and asks for 2,500 post calibrated lumens for that level of contrast if your ambient lighting is that high.

Drop the lighting down to near zero, and 17 lumens on screen can deliver a 500:1 or higher contrast ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Unlike ANSI brightness (which is at least somewhat policed), there's nothing stopping manufacturers from flat-out lying about contrast numbers..and it's unlikely that either of those projectors has a 5000:1 contrast. The good thing is that doesn't matter because you need two relatively straightforward things; brightness and curtains. Like AV said, anything you can do to keep lights/sun from hitting your screenwall will go a long way for improving your picture quality. Better than new equipment and cheaper too. If you still end up upgrading, it'll look that much better!

Is there anything particular making it difficult to darken part of the room (large open spaces, high windows, adjacent rooms)? There are some inventive people on here that might have good advice.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Fix your room with some dark curtains and dark ceiling paint and you can get somewhere.

At that point you might check out the BenQW1300 on your side of the pond. It's got a longer throw than the W1070 sold in the USA. But if your old one is really 2000 ANSI lumens -- which is doubtful, especially after you've put some hours on the bulb -- you should look at some brighter ones.

Still, it's hard to imagine how a relatively small (92-inch) screen can't produce a bright image in a moderately dark room with 2000 available lumens.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for good advice!

The room we're using is actually one half of our living room and we're having large windows in each end. My wife wants white curtains and even though they are quite thick, they still let a lot of the light through. I have been thinking about mounting some blackout curtains behind the white ones, and that would probably help a lot.

After I wrote the first message, I became aware of the Optoma HD25e. It is bright, has good contrast, is quiet and not too expensive. It doesn't quite match my current projector screen, but almost, so I could live with it for a little while. I will eventually have to get a new screen anyway, and there is room for one a little wider, but nothing near what is necessay for the W1080st. I had a look at the W1300, but it seem to be a little on the noisy side, which is something I'd really like to avoid.

Also, I should mention that my old Harman Kardon receiver broke and I had to replace it. I bougth a Yamaha receiver that I'm very satisfied with. The only thing is that its HDMI input souces cannot be routed out on the component port and the HP projector I currently have doesn't support HDMI and all my other devices uses HDMI. So unless I spend several hundred dollars on a HDMI to component converter I cannot use it. Also the HP is VERY noisy. So I'd rather spend the money on a new one.

IVer

post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I just have to ask, if you're looking at the hd25e and wanting something like the w1080st, have you considered the w1070 (longer throw w1080st for $100 less) or is its zoom range too different from the hd25e?

The w1070/1080 uses an RGBRGB colorwheel while the hd25e uses a business projector RGBCMY wheel which means your colors will be a little less than half as bright with the Optoma. You can get away with this on some videos (darker and more sepia/b&w content) but more colorful movies and brighter films will appear off. Any anime, disney/Pixar, or general animated programming will look very weird with brilliantcolor engaged..and turning it off will cut the HD25e's brightness to around 700lm.

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, one thing is that the W1070 produces more than 4 times as much noise (33db vs 26). Another thing is that it is less bright (2000 vs 2800 ansi lumen), but the most important thing is that the smallest picture I can get with it is 120'' which is 30'' more than I can have.

IVer

post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Today I went out and bought the Optoma HD25e and to be quite honest I'm blown away! What a great image, colors, skin tones, sharpness and the best of all is that in my living room, even with some of the lights on, I get great pictures. I cannot see how anything could be very much better...! 

Thanks for your kind help!

Brgds

Iver

post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM

Congrats.

Just FYI amazon has it for $849.99.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for the tip, but I live in Norway and the freight would probably amount to more ;-)

IVer

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page