What is the Best 3D Projector for max 1200 budget? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi i was wondering what is the best 3D projector I can get for 1200 dollar USD budget? I'm building a small home theater room and need to find out. Please let me know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

bump.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Liked: 16

Hey i just got my 1st projector about 5 days ago.  I was wondering the same exact ?.. I went on a limb and bought the BenQ w1080 projector. its around 1000$ was just on sale for like 870$ :( may be able to find it still!... anyway im blow away by the picture.  Everyone in my family seen it and could not believe it. My dad is a skeptic of technology and was telling me i was wasting my money blah blah blah... now he is talking about selling his tv.  no joke lol.... anyway man its got great picture, 3D Compatible! and if your room is mid-low bright itll be perfect.  Also its a short throw projector so you get a larger picture even up close!

post #4 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabizar View Post

Hey i just got my 1st projector about 5 days ago.  I was wondering the same exact ?.. I went on a limb and bought the BenQ w1080 projector. its around 1000$ was just on sale for like 870$ frown.gif may be able to find it still!... anyway im blow away by the picture.  Everyone in my family seen it and could not believe it. My dad is a skeptic of technology and was telling me i was wasting my money blah blah blah... now he is talking about selling his tv.  no joke lol.... anyway man its got great picture, 3D Compatible! and if your room is mid-low bright itll be perfect.  Also its a short throw projector so you get a larger picture even up close!

Whats the difference between the Benq W1070 vs W1080???
post #5 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 272
The throw distance is different between the projectors.

There are a number of good entry level models out there from a number of manufacturers with Optoma and BenQ being the most prevalent right now.

Why not describe your room and your setup.
What is your ceiling height?
What is your throw distance? (distance from where the LENS will be to the screen)
What is your screen size diagonal?
What is your viewing distance (eyes to screen)?
What is the wall color?
What is the ceiling color?
Is this a dedicated space?
How much light control do you have?
What type of screen do you intend to use?

Front projection is not like hanging a TV on the wall, so some consideration for all these different factors can come into play when making a projection purchase decision.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

The throw distance is different between the projectors.

There are a number of good entry level models out there from a number of manufacturers with Optoma and BenQ being the most prevalent right now.

What is your ceiling height?
What is your throw distance? (distance from where the LENS will be to the screen)
What is your screen size diagonal?
What is your viewing distance (eyes to screen)?
What is the wall color?
What is the ceiling color?
Is this a dedicated space?
How much light control do you have?
What type of screen do you intend to use?

Front projection is not like hanging a TV on the wall, so some consideration for all these different factors can come into play when making a projection purchase decision.

What is your ceiling height? 8.5 feet
What is your throw distance? (distance from where the LENS will be to the screen) 15 feet
What is your screen size diagonal? 126 inch 16:9
What is your viewing distance (eyes to screen)? 13 feet
What is the wall color? Chocolate Brown
What is the ceiling color? White
Is this a dedicated space? Yes
How much light control do you have? 97 percent controlled
What type of screen do you intend to use? 16:9 Carada Precision screen (126 inch)

I hope we can figure out the right projector for me. And I also love to watch 3D blurays.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If you can still find one the Mits HC7900DW is the best bargain right now, but they are disappearing fast and when they are gone, there won't be any more. I think it will work but do something with the white ceiling for sure.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #8 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to agree with the above poster.

1. Do something about your ceiling. Make sure you have dark carpet as well.
2. The Carada screen is great. Make sure you get the Brilliant White material. IMO the Criterion frame is worth the upgrade, but to each their own.

Here is a list of projectors which can hit a 126" diagonal from 15' lens to screen:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=15&i=d&is=126&sort=pop&sz=15

The Mits. is on that list and is a great value right now if you can find it for under $1,000.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC7900DW.htm

The only issue is that the offset of the 7900 is pretty high so you will need the screen to be about a foot or so the center of the lens. With 8.5' tall ceilings this may be just fine, but read the manual before purchase to see if this works in your room properly. You may end up flush mounting the projector to the ceiling and having the top of the screen about 16" or 24" from the ceiling.

Otherwise, the Optoma HD25e is a pretty solid choice. It still needs to be 10" above the top of the screen, but is a bit brighter and has solid reviews.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm going to agree with the above poster.

1. Do something about your ceiling. Make sure you have dark carpet as well.
2. The Carada screen is great. Make sure you get the Brilliant White material. IMO the Criterion frame is worth the upgrade, but to each their own.

Here is a list of projectors which can hit a 126" diagonal from 15' lens to screen:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=15&i=d&is=126&sort=pop&sz=15

The Mits. is on that list and is a great value right now if you can find it for under $1,000.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC7900DW.htm

The only issue is that the offset of the 7900 is pretty high so you will need the screen to be about a foot or so the center of the lens. With 8.5' tall ceilings this may be just fine, but read the manual before purchase to see if this works in your room properly. You may end up flush mounting the projector to the ceiling and having the top of the screen about 16" or 24" from the ceiling.

Otherwise, the Optoma HD25e is a pretty solid choice. It still needs to be 10" above the top of the screen, but is a bit brighter and has solid reviews.

Okay if I can't get the Mitsubishi hc7900, then I will put Optoma HD25e on top of my shopping list. Can you tell me which is better Optoma HD25e or BenQ W1070? Thanks.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post

Optoma HD25e or BenQ W1070? Thanks.
Both are comparable. I believe the Optoma may be a bit brighter. The BenQ has a RGB/RGB color wheel which is nice. I have the W1070 and I'm happy with it. But, I think they are both comparable. You have to be aware of the very different throw distance between those two models so there is rarely a time when either could be used. On shorter throw, get the BenQ, on longer throw, get the Optoma. Both are solid entry level models.

post #11 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

The only issue is that the offset of the 7900 is pretty high so you will need the screen to be about a foot or so the center of the lens. .

do u mean the center of the lens has to be a foot + higher then the top of the screen??.. is there a sweet spot?? meaning does it project a better picture with less lens shift, or does lens shift have no effect on the picture quatity...thanks
post #12 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the 7900 has some lens shift, but it is limited, and it is higher than the top of the screen at the minimum, and then goes higher than that (when ceiling mounted).

There should not be a 'sweet spot'. I typically avoid the extents, but only by a bit if I can. Review the owner's manual for the specifics on that model.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The sweet spot is ZERO lens shift, but generally speaking Lens Shift on a DLP with such a limited lens shift range does not often have much effect on sharpness.
You might only notice it if you are reading text and sitting closer than 1.0x screen width to the screen (This is closer than most sit), then you might notice a slight increase in CA as you move lens shift. You won't even see or notice it in videos at all, even if you use the maximum amount of shift (well usually).

Honestly though, the difference will be small either way, regardless.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page