What is the next step up from the W1070 where you sacrifice nothing? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16

So I have a W1070, very satisfied with it. Just wondering if there is anything universally "better" out there where you aren't necessarily making a tradeoff. For example, even the new BenQ W7500 seems to have a much worse input lag, which seems very disappointing. Going to LCD you get the worse lag, and apparently crosstalk in 3D (but no RBE).

Just seems like everything is a tradeoff. Wondering if there is a way to just "step up" without needing to give anything up. For the record I think the W1070 is pretty brilliant aside from minor RBE, and perhaps less than perfect black levels. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 240
What is the next step up from the W1070 where you sacrifice nothing?

Since the W1070's release, there hasn't really been anything of note (that would be in place on this section of the forums) to represent a significant step up.

That's changed recently with Sony's HW40ES, which is considerably pricier than the W1070 but certainly represents the 'step up' you're referring to.

You'll get some of LCD's disadvantages (being an LCOS unit) - motion blur tends to be more noticeable, 3D has a bit more cross-talk. Panel alignment (even once corrected to the nearest pixel) may reduce comparative sharpness. Low lag requires switching picture modes.

But of course you'll also get some serious advantages: much quieter fans, no RBE (assuming it gets noticed to begin with), better lens shifting (therefore much more placement flexibility), and over double the contrast.

The contrast improvement is something of note: I suspect the W1070's relatively low measured contrast is more due to its poor black levels (contrast ratio is a function of black level), since few would describe the picture it puts out as obviously lacking in contrast (without measuring it). But black level is a metric that matters to most (I'd say black level is the one real improvement that'd compel me to consider the W1070's successor when/if it arrives.)

The question, then, is really regarding the law of diminishing returns: at over triple the price, I might rather stick a W1070 in place of (or in addition to) every TV in my house

If anyone finds themselves in a position to compare these two projectors side-by-side, I'd be very interested in those findings.

But in answering the original question: it's the Sony for sure.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-16-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Which is funny, because I am now looking at the 40es. But I am not so sure about the trade offs for 3x the price. But in fact, my biggest complaint with the BenQ is unquestionably the noise.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bass View Post
Which is funny, because I am now looking at the 40es. But I am not so sure about the trade offs for 3x the price. But in fact, my biggest complaint with the BenQ is unquestionably the noise.

Bright bulb, small chassis, lots of heat... It has (at least) 3 separate fans. My air con in the room is louder (and on all the time) so the projector doesn't bother me - but there's no denying it's a bit noisy, even in its price class.

Side-note: my old W1070 had a rattling fan (very common issue at a point) that made it much, much noisier than my current one... Yours isn't rattling (ie grinding/cricket-noise), is it? Because if it is, it's a valid reason for an RMA.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Quote:

Bright bulb, small chassis, lots of heat... It has (at least) 3 separate fans. My air con in the room is louder (and on all the time) so the projector doesn't bother me - but there's no denying it's a bit noisy, even in its price class.

Side-note: my old W1070 had a rattling fan (very common issue at a point) that made it much, much noisier than my current one... Yours isn't rattling (ie grinding/cricket-noise), is it? Because if it is, it's a valid reason for an RMA.
Yup, mine has started to develop the rattle when using smarteco mode. Doesn't really do it in eco mode, but I prefer the picture in smarteco...

Looking to see how they might fix it, they seemed to have a live chat before when my remote was broken and now I cannot find it. I did send their support an email however.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, mine has started to develop the rattle when using smarteco mode. Doesn't really do it in eco mode, but I prefer the picture in smarteco...

Looking to see how they might fix it, they seemed to have a live chat before when my remote was broken and now I cannot find it. I did send their support an email however.

Which I guess brings us to our next advantage of much-more-expensive units: Quality Control
Older W1070 builds had poor brightness uniformity, seemed more prone to dust, had the rattling fans and had that shoddy non-backlit remote. When comparing my new one, all of these issues seem (I hope!) sorted in the newer build, so maybe QC has improved. (Again: I hope!)

But yeah, SmartECO has the fans running higher so it's going to be more noticeable in that mode. See what you can do about an RMA: if you're still in warranty, you're definitely covered (people around these forums have done the same successfully).

post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which I guess brings us to our next advantage of much-more-expensive units: Quality Control
Older W1070 builds had poor brightness uniformity, seemed more prone to dust, had the rattling fans and had that shoddy non-backlit remote. When comparing my new one, all of these issues seem (I hope!) sorted in the newer build, so maybe QC has improved. (Again: I hope!)

But yeah, SmartECO has the fans running higher so it's going to be more noticeable in that mode. See what you can do about an RMA: if you're still in warranty, you're definitely covered (people around these forums have done the same successfully).
Yup, bought it new only a few months ago. Should still be under warranty.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
I think the panasonic PT-AE8000U is a significant step up from the BenQ 1070. Since the BenQ and Epson 8350 are about on the same plane. I had an 8350 for a couple years and my cousin has a 1070. I like my new AE8000U quite a bit. $1900 after rebate.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #9 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a friend that has a 8350 and I have the 1070 and the pic is night and day (BenQ wins). And the BenQ is much sharper and has better colors....at least to me. How does the BenQ compare to the ae8000? I almost bought the panny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having never seen the Benq, I can't be 100% sure it's a candidate, but I recently purchased the Optoma HD30b. It's not in the Sony class, but is between the Benq and Sony in price. It has good blacks, is quiet, and projects a very good image. One of the reasons I got the HD30b, is because it also is not as bright as a lot of the other under $2000.00 units, and my room and screen are relatively small, (the screen is 92"). There's also no light to worry about. So, if you don't need a light canon, it may fit quite nicely.
Larry
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Just be aware JoeBoy73 that the room, darkness, screen, distance, screen size etc will all play into your impression on a projector. My understanding is there is no way there is a night and day difference between the BenQ 1070 and the Epson 8350 -- just from reading reviews. I've never compared them side by side in the same room. Nor have I compared the 8350 to the 8000 side by side in the same room. My AE8000U arrived after I sold my 8350. However - the AE8000U is a clear step up from my 8350 on every front.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version