AVS Forum banner

Benq W1080ST overheating

17K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  wenom77 
#1 ·

Hi all.

I have a problem of overheating with my BENQ w1080ST.

The projector randomly turnoff it self, it maybe a minute after power on or a hour but in 2-3 hours use it will turnoff randomly 1-2 times. On turn off i see red (lamp) light flashing.

My room temperature now is around 18-22c, fans seems to be working and lamp life is less than 200 hours. 

I thinked to add a external fan powered from mini USB at the back of the unit or there a better solution.

Please help.

Anton.

See less See more
#2 ·

I also have the benq w1080st, There is something wrong with your projector if it is doing this.  I have ran mine for 3-5hours at a time in 70' degree weather.  I would recommend contacting BenQ (They have a Live Chat on their website) depending on what they say, you will probably have to send in for a replacement, if you have not had this for a year.  The warranty will cover parts/labor for a year.

#3 ·
It's not an overheat: you'd get red from the 'Temp' light instead if it was.

A red from the lamp light indicates something not right with the bulb or it's housing.

Definitely have BenQ take a look at it...

#5 ·

Thanks for the replay! Yes it is a LAMP red flashing and yes it is somthing wrong with the bulb. 

It is a bit of problem to send it back to USA (I am from Israel) so I trying to contact (already and waiting for answer about warrenty) local BENQ dealer for help.

For this time i thinked to reinstall the bulb, what you think? i am sure it will not void my warrenty. 

PS

I read about warrenty on benq site and i think it is international... do you have some info on it, can i got service here in Israel if i got the projector from USA?

Again huge thanks for the help! 

#6 ·
Not sure how the international warranty works (hope you don't need to ship it to the USA in order to have it repaired: if BenQ has offices and Israel and you can prove its under warranty with the original invoice, they may help you out - but I'm not sure...)

Chag Sameach.

Bulb replacements are standard procedure so re-seating the bulb housing won't void your warranty.

You can try doing so and see if it helps; it's in the manual on page 49.

Make sure the projector is cooled down completely, then unscrew the black flat screw on the side above the air vent; take off the lamp cover; lift off the plastic dust cover beneath it, and then there's one star screw on the black lamp housing inside to unscrew: then you lift the handle and the housing comes out.

Check for dust on the copper contacts of the housing and if it's clean, put it back in securely, reversing the procedure you used to take it out. Screw it back in tightly.

Remember the projector won't power on unless the white lamp cover is back in place...

Perhaps in shipping from the US the housing has loosened so maybe you're in luck!

Good luck!!

#8 ·

Bulb removed and inspected, all looks ok... install it back and still have the problem (again it happens 1-2 times in a day).

I run out of ideas :( i think i will just live with it and hope it will not get worse 

PS

Contact costumer support but i think becouse it ordered in US and i am in Israel i will need to ship it back to USA and it is to costly... maybe there a chance i will have support here or just return my money from ebay buyer protection program (i open a dispude on the saller and think hje sold me a used and mulfanction unit and now do not answer to emails).

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenom77  /t/1522726/benq-w1080st-overheating#post_24500889

Bulb removed and inspected, all looks ok... install it back and still have the problem (again it happens 1-2 times in a day).

I run out of ideas
i think i will just live with it and hope it will not get worse 

PS

Contact costumer support but i think becouse it ordered in US and i am in Israel i will need to ship it back to USA and it is to costly... maybe there a chance i will have support here or just return my money from ebay buyer protection program (i open a dispude on the saller and think hje sold me a used and mulfanction unit and now do not answer to emails).

That's a pity. It's likely a defective bulb; but there's a small possibility it's an issue with the projector itself. It's a pity there's no easy way for you to get it to BenQ to have them advise.

To confirm: when you removed the housing, the two power wires that connect the housing to the 2 clips on the actual bulb were securely attached, right? I'm trying to rule out expansion (from the normal heating of the unit) causing a dodgy connection there...

#10 ·

Maybe my unit will be covered by warenty and will repair it here in my country (now talking with benq on emails).

Yes, the connection was very good and secure (need to pul a bit harder to get it out). What i did: removed the bulb and reset operation hours, check for dust and particals but all look to be ok. 

looks like repair service is only option and i hope i covered by warenty and can repair it here in Israel.

#11 ·
I've recently been experiencing this too. Mine just shut off after being on for approximately 2 hours, and when I turned it back on it shut off with the red lights being displayed on the power button. Fan is working fine, room is approx. 65F.

It just turned back on too. Weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.