Vidikron Model30 vs New 1080p projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having issues with my Vidikron Model 30 (720p DLP) projector, which I really love may I add. Now I am contemplating spending $500 on repairs versus purchasing a new 1080p projector to replace it. My budget is $1500 maybe a little wiggle room. My room dimension are 11x20, controlled lighting and set up for a 11ft throw distance onto a 110" curved 16:9 Elite screen.
Mediaroom.jpg 28k .jpg file
I know the new projectors now have fantastic pictures with 1080p resolution. I watch 70% movies most Blu-ray and 30% TV sports, etc. Looking for any expert advice on which way I should go. Also what projectors out there you think I would be a comparable replacement within my budget?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mediaroom.jpg (28.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Almost any of the 1080p DLP models should be pretty stellar based upon the specifications of your model:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vidikron-Vision_Model_30.htm

The 11' throw distance to a 110" diagonal (lens to screen) will limit your possible projectors, but this is the list of models under $2,000 which can do it.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=3.0.0&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=11&i=d&is=110&sort=pop&sz=15

I would stick with the well reviewed BenQ models such as the W1070. That should work with your screen height and everything else. The lens quality of cheaper projectors won't be as good as the Vidikron, but overall quality should be very good and at a reasonable price. You certainly don't need more brightness than what the W1070 offers and the use of newer DLP chips will help overall.

Your biggest limiting factor in this entire setup is an absolutely abysmal room. With white everything it's devastating to your image contrast, shadow detail, etc. $100 in paint would do more than tripling your budget for a projector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for you response. Its good to know I am actually on the same page. I was just reviewing the BenQ W1070 as a possible replacement due to the many good reviews it has received and you cant beat the price. Seems there is some concern with the speed of the color wheel and rainbow effects. that is something that would be a deal breaker for me as I never had this issue with the Model30.

Going forward, my plans always have been to paint the back wall dark like a charcoal black. I am also up for any ideas on paint options color and brand..
post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Woody View Post

thanks for you response. Its good to know I am actually on the same page. I was just reviewing the BenQ W1070 as a possible replacement due to the many good reviews it has received and you cant beat the price. Seems there is some concern with the speed of the color wheel and rainbow effects. that is something that would be a deal breaker for me as I never had this issue with the Model30.

I wouldn't worry: the Model 30 has a 6-segment, 5x color wheel; which is similar to what the W1070 uses. So if you've never noticed rainbows on your Vidikron, you're not likely to notice them on the BenQ.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Colors should generally be as dark as you are comfortable with making them. Black isn't required, but is great, if you can find a nice way to get the front darkest/black and then go with a lighter color a bit further back in the room, that's always really nice. The light carpet is the same deal.

Two things will remain my number one gripe with front projection: Light colored floors/walls/ceilings, and bad lighting design. Once you paint a room dark, then having proper lighting in the room to see while the projector is on and putting a lot of light into the room when the projector is off becomes a lot more difficult than it is with light colored rooms. Often tough to change lighting after the fact, but paint can always be changed and is a extremely inexpensive upgrade that is massively significant to quality.

Unfortunately, if the room is really good, then the W1070 won't look as good because it really is an 'entry level' model. Still ahead, in my belief, than what the older Vidikron delivered, but not as good as what the JVC RS Series or Sony LCoS models offer (at 3x the price).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the great advice everyone, I also have been looking at the Epson line of projectors. What is your take on the Powerlite 3020 and 8350 models? I am torn between LCD and DLP formats.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Woody View Post

Appreciate the great advice everyone, I also have been looking at the Epson line of projectors. What is your take on the Powerlite 3020 and 8350 models? I am torn between LCD and DLP formats.

I'd take the 8350 before the 3020... the extra lens shift makes it the KING of placement in the sub $2k range. and has better blacks to boot. the 8350 is good if you can find a sale on it.. otherwise, from all accounts the Benq w1070 would be your best bet at $899 or lower.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The DLP models look better than the lower end LCD models, especially when it comes to motion, DLP has a significantly different look than LCD, and if you are used to DLP, you should really stick with it. Epson makes very nice 'first time' projectors, and they make a great model for those who are RBE sensitive, but none of this applies to you. You own DLP, you know you like the way it looks, and you have excellent options out there for a reasonable price in the DLP format which will work very well in your room.

Certainly nothing terrible about the 8350 or the 3020, but the 1070 fits, and will outperform.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page