SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I just joined the forum too after following this thread with interest for a while. I'm also looking at my very first projector so it's good to hear positive feedback from robby about how well it performs. We demoed the panasonic at6000 and loved it so I'm hoping the sony will be pretty close to its performance. It's a shame we can't demo it too. But thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I can't wait to get one!

Robby, what colour is your wall? We will be projecting onto a magnolia wall for a while until we decide on a screen size!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Behr Kenya

Picture is that good that I could probably live without a screen. I skipped through Skyfall earlier today and I was blown away at the images I was seeing. Highly recommend viewing that Blu ray first.

post #273 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ive recently bought this projector within the last week and have to say im loving its 2D picture. watching blurays with it via my PC is a treat!

I have a query though .. the 3D glasses i have don't seem to sync with it. i thought the projector had a built in IR sync?

i've tried using the nvidia 3d vision 2 glasses, and also the Sony TDG-BR250 which are both IR glasses as far as i know, is there any reason i can't get these to work ? i must be missing something.

i've got the nvidia 3dtv drivers installed, and tried running the HDMI from my video card straight to the projector in case my amp wasn't passing the 3D for some reason, however unfortunately this hasn't made a difference.

I'm trying to use a 3D source from my PC - via setting up the Stereoscopic 3D under nvidia control panel as i do not have any 3D blu-ray discs

post #274 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyGBobby View Post

Good. Can't wait to hear your impressions. Where did you order from?

Haven't ordered yet, I may go through the AVS forums shop!
post #275 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ordered mine from Electroelectro on eBay. $2100. Received in less than 48 hrs.
post #276 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Speaking of new HW40s and impressions, I got mine yesterday. I like it a lot so far. Excellent color, no screen door, and good contrast.

It's almost TOO bright. I'm thinking about getting an ND filter to bring the brightness down a little. I'm using a 95", 1.1 gain "screen" (actually a specially painted wall), and reference mode in low lamp is still very bright.

No focus problems at all. Very sharp focus across the whole screen. The alignment looks dead on too.

The first movie I watched was Tron Legacy, which I enjoy as a test film, and it's the best I've ever seen it.

I got mine from Projector People. I paid MSRP, but got a good deal on shippng and accessories, and I like those guys. This isn't the first projector I've bought there.

post #277 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

The first movie I watched was Tron Legacy, which I enjoy as a test film, and it's the best I've ever seen it.

I got mine ~ a week ago and last night I watched clips of Tron Legacy (the cycle battle when he first escapes the grid for example) and was blown away! amazing detail and its oh so sharp!
post #278 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyGBobby View Post

Behr Kenya

Picture is that good that I could probably live without a screen. I skipped through Skyfall earlier today and I was blown away at the images I was seeing. Highly recommend viewing that Blu ray first.

Thanks, that looks darker than my magnolia but still not a million miles away! Looking forward to some screen shots wink.gif
post #279 of 980 Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperZ View Post

Ive recently bought this projector within the last week and have to say im loving its 2D picture. watching blurays with it via my PC is a treat!

I have a query though .. the 3D glasses i have don't seem to sync with it. i thought the projector had a built in IR sync?

i've tried using the nvidia 3d vision 2 glasses, and also the Sony TDG-BR250 which are both IR glasses as far as i know, is there any reason i can't get these to work ? i must be missing something.

i've got the nvidia 3dtv drivers installed, and tried running the HDMI from my video card straight to the projector in case my amp wasn't passing the 3D for some reason, however unfortunately this hasn't made a difference.

I'm trying to use a 3D source from my PC - via setting up the Stereoscopic 3D under nvidia control panel as i do not have any 3D blu-ray discs

Do i need to enable the inbuilt IR sensor? or should i just buy an external one and put it near the screen? nothing seems to sync
post #280 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

I tried my HW40 with a 3d blu ray using the Playstation 3D glasses. Everything worked as expected. No setting was needed to enable the 3D sync. The built-inn emitter worked fine.

I have no experience using a PC for this type of thing. There may be a problem with your source.

Check the menu on the projector. Make sure 3D is enabled. I forget which menu it is , but it will be fairly obvious. It should be "on" or set to "auto" by default. Sorry - I don't have the manual handy right now.

It is possible your source is not set up correctly. Are you sure it is outputting 3D? If so, is it doing it in a format supported by the projector?

When you look at the projected 3D image on the screen without glasses, does it look "wrong?" It should look out of alignment.
post #281 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM

When trying to run the setup it produces a "wrong" looking image (basically it gives you a square and triangle merged together where you should only see the square with one eye and the triangle with the other), it's a this point I would expect the glasses to sync to the projector and start shuttering to work, however they just do nothing - it works with my Panasonic viera TV however this is passive not active.

I'll try a different source - will go and purchase a 3D bluray and try with the ps3 and see what happens.

Would it matter that I'm sitting behind the projector in terms of the glasses sync? I have tried a few locations though.
post #282 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Would it matter that I'm sitting behind the projector in terms of the glasses sync? I have tried a few locations though.

I don't think that matters. The way it was explained to me, the IR signal is bouncing off the screen to the glasses.

Some other things to try:

- Make sure glasses are charged
- Make sure glasses are turned on

The PS 3D glasses will not charge if the battery switch is turned off. After charging you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds. When on, the red light comes up. I am guessing you have done this, but it doesn't hurt to point out the obvious.

I am thinking it will work with a Blu Ray. (Does the PS3 output a 3D signal from Blu Ray?) My guess is that the problem is the type of 3D your computer is outputting.
post #283 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

I don't think that matters. The way it was explained to me, the IR signal is bouncing off the screen to the glasses.

Some other things to try:

- Make sure glasses are charged
- Make sure glasses are turned on

The PS 3D glasses will not charge if the battery switch is turned off. After charging you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds. When on, the red light comes up. I am guessing you have done this, but it doesn't hurt to point out the obvious.

I am thinking it will work with a Blu Ray. (Does the PS3 output a 3D signal from Blu Ray?) My guess is that the problem is the type of 3D your computer is outputting.

- I have ensured both sets of glasses i have are fully charged, and when the power button is pressed it goes solid green for a few seconds, then starts flashing (i assume trying to sync)
- 3D setting is set to 'auto' under the projector settings.

According to this link the PS3 can play bluray in 3D - http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=4474835
"The PS3 is capable of playing 3D with the latest firmware or anything past 3.50 I think. Big loss is that while playing 3D you can't get any of the HD codecs(TrueHD,DTSMA) I went and bought a standalone(OPPO)"

I'm not worried about the codecs at this point im just trying to ensure the projector is able to sync the glasses, then i can look into troubleshooting why my PC isn't sending the correct signal to the projector. I have had this working with a passive TV but not with active.

Maybe the glasses i have aren't compatible .. i have the Sony TDG-BR250 im trying to use initially
post #284 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:

- I have ensured both sets of glasses i have are fully charged, and when the power button is pressed it goes solid green for a few seconds, then starts flashing (i assume trying to sync)
- 3D setting is set to 'auto' under the projector settings.

According to this link the PS3 can play bluray in 3D - http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=4474835
"The PS3 is capable of playing 3D with the latest firmware or anything past 3.50 I think. Big loss is that while playing 3D you can't get any of the HD codecs(TrueHD,DTSMA) I went and bought a standalone(OPPO)"

I'm not worried about the codecs at this point im just trying to ensure the projector is able to sync the glasses, then i can look into troubleshooting why my PC isn't sending the correct signal to the projector. I have had this working with a passive TV but not with active.

Maybe the glasses i have aren't compatible .. i have the Sony TDG-BR250 im trying to use initially

PS3 works like a charm with this pj smile.gif. Mine, a good old CECHK from 2008 going through a Denon AVR-E300 with monoprice HDMI cables played The Hobbit without problem.

But, there's no need to use an external source to test 3D. Just use the built-in 3D mode of the pj, the menu will be in 3D, which is enough to see if your glasses are working or not. Could also be a IR transmitter problem, or, do you have something blocking it. The manual is pretty clear on this point, no not block the IR emitter.(the manual is included on the CD that comes with the pj)

Look at your glasses led flashing pattern and look up https://docs.sony.com/release/TDG-BR200_BR250_EN_ES_FR.pdf for diagnostic.

The 3D worked without any second try with the PS3 glasses in my installation. I was quite surprised of the ease to make it work.
post #285 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Am I just missing it, or is this the "official" thread of the projector? I'm surprised there's not any in home photos yet. I'd love to see some!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #286 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michdub View Post

But, there's no need to use an external source to test 3D. Just use the built-in 3D mode of the pj, the menu will be in 3D, which is enough to see if your glasses are working or not. Could also be a IR transmitter problem, or, do you have something blocking it. The manual is pretty clear on this point, no not block the IR emitter.(the manual is included on the CD that comes with the pj)

Could you please advise where the inbuilt IR transmitter is and where its located in the manual? The projector is free-sitting on a desk with nothing surrounding it / in its way, i have tried being in front of the projector as well as behind, its height is about 4ft from the ground (average desk height at a guess)

searching the manual for internal transmitter doesn't yield me anything other than "When watching 3D images in an environment that has even more interference, use the internal transmitter"

searching the manual for 'emitter' yields no results.
post #287 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Could you please advise where the inbuilt IR transmitter is and where its located in the manual? The projector is free-sitting on a desk with nothing surrounding it / in its way, i have tried being in front of the projector as well as behind, its height is about 4ft from the ground (average desk height at a guess)

searching the manual for internal transmitter doesn't yield me anything other than "When watching 3D images in an environment that has even more interference, use the internal transmitter"

There is an HW 40 data sheet online. I can't get to the manual right now, but the data sheet shows the location. I will try to attach the image to this post. It is on the lower right side of the front of the projector, as you are facing the lens. It looks like a typical plastic IR window.

post #288 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post

Am I just missing it, or is this the "official" thread of the projector? I'm surprised there's not any in home photos yet. I'd love to see some!!

Not much of a room right now, but here is an "in-home" photo of the HW 40. Please don't be too jealous of my premium theater seating. smile.gif

Everything is under construction at the moment. I set up the projector and audio system (you can see the grills for the Klipsch surround in-wall/in-ceiling in the photo). Wanted to make sure everything was wired correctly before I sealed up the walls. Also wanted to made sure all the equipment worked before the return window ran out.

post #289 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not much of a room right now, but here is an "in-home" photo of the HW 40. Please don't be too jealous of my premium theater seating. smile.gif

Everything is under construction at the moment. I set up the projector and audio system (you can see the grills for the Klipsch surround in-wall/in-ceiling in the photo). Wanted to make sure everything was wired correctly before I sealed up the walls. Also wanted to made sure all the equipment worked before the return window ran out.

Looks great and I'm sure you're excited to see it completed. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

post #290 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Ah - thanks for that :-)

Unfortunately my typical seating position is behind the projector so i guess running an external IR emitter would be beneficial for this
Quote:

There is an HW 40 data sheet online. I can't get to the manual right now, but the data sheet shows the location. I will try to attach the image to this post. It is on the lower right side of the front of the projector, as you are facing the lens. It looks like a typical plastic IR window.

I thought this was the case !

Here is my typical layout at the moment .. yes its my bedroom projector, and since i am typically sitting behind the projector im not surprised the IR sensor isn't going to work very well

however i have tried lounging on the bed and got the same result, however i will re-test tonight with the inbuilt 3D menu setting and see what happens.
post #291 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Here is my typical layout at the moment .. yes its my bedroom projector, and since i am typically sitting behind the projector im not surprised the IR sensor isn't going to work very well

however i have tried lounging on the bed and got the same result, however i will re-test tonight with the inbuilt 3D menu setting and see what happens.

Like I said, I was told that the IR signal is bounced off the wall/screen so it shouldn't matter if you are sitting in front or behind the projector. When I tested mine out I wore the glasses at different places in the room. My main seating was in front of the projector - PJ is at 16' and seats were at 12'. However, when I walked to the back of the room - 25'+ from the screen and about 10'+ from the projector, I did not lose sync.

I would be interested to see what further testing shows. Having the 3D menu helps. You can try it from your seating position and also from in front of the projector. I still suspect your problem is the signal coming from the PC.

If for some reason you de need to buy the IR extender, you should also consider the RF transmitter from XPand. That will give you RF 3D capability which is supposed to provide some advantages.
post #292 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Looks great and I'm sure you're excited to see it completed. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product. The plan is to finish sheetrock this weekend. If that goes well, I might start on the ceiling - putting wood plank up there for most of it. Then it is on to wood floor and wood halfway up the walls (basically wainscot). Not only do I like the look of wood (and it fits the overall design of this house) but it also eliminates the need to tape/spackle most of the sheetrock. I don't like to spackle and am not good at it. smile.gif

I would really like to have it done before the July 4th holiday when we are having people over.

Once the main area is done, I am going to build a bar in the area where you see the red sheetrock lift. Still debating about putting in a kegerator... I like the idea but am so far over budget that I might skip it.

Still, it is amazing how good the picture looks projected on sheetrock. I was watching The Hobbit 3D as my test and for most of the movie forgot it was sheetrock. Only in the bright scenes or when a light area like a face was right on top of the sheetrock screws was I reminded.

Screen is on order and should be here is another two weeks. I can't wait to see what this projector can do with the real thing.
post #293 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM

I imagine it is the source too, however i am certain i tested the 3D menu which went 'fuzzy' and tried the 3D glasses (the BR250) which did nothing. As directed in the diagnostic manual it was flashing quite slowly.

Flashes once every 2 seconds: Battery operation

If it fails with the blu-ray disc tonight via the Sony PS3, and on the 3D menu again tonight i will have to return the unit deemed as faulty.
post #294 of 980 Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I imagine it is the source too, however i am certain i tested the 3D menu which went 'fuzzy' and tried the 3D glasses (the BR250) which did nothing. As directed in the diagnostic manual it was flashing quite slowly.

If it fails with the blu-ray disc tonight via the Sony PS3, and on the 3D menu again tonight i will have to return the unit deemed as faulty.

You might want to try a different pair of glasses before you send it back, just in case.

post #295 of 980 Old 06-10-2014, 02:35 AM

Tested with nvidia 3d vision IR glasses and tested with Sony BR250 glasses - both have the same issue and i ensured both were fully charged

Projector is outputting a 3D blurry image via the PS3 (im using tekken tag tournament 2 which works perfectly with my passive 3DTV and passive glasses), but the Sony BR250 and nvidia 3D Vision 2 glasses just do absolutely nothing with this Sony Projector.

Projector settings
3D Settings
2D -> 3D Display Sel. : Auto (i have also tried 3D, simulated 3D, side by side, over-under)
3D Sync Output - Standard (have tried Option)

Things tried
- Cable from PS3 straight to Projector - http://store.sony.com/swivel-high-speed-hdmi-cable-zid27-DLCHE10V/cat-27-catid-All-TV-AV-Cables
- Updated PS3 to latest firmware
- PS3 detects 3DTV

I've tried sitting in multiple locations in the room, tried repositioning the projector in various places, nothing seems to make a difference.

Theres nothing i need to do to enable the IR emitter ?

Maybe as i live in New Zealand they only work with a particular type of 3D glasses?

I see Sony list the Sony TDG-PJ1 as a supported accessory .. but others are having success with the same ones im using?

This is driving me nuts mad.gif
post #296 of 980 Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:

Page 23:

and page 24
post #297 of 980 Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Tested with nvidia 3d vision IR glasses and tested with Sony BR250 glasses - both have the same issue and i ensured both were fully charged

Projector is outputting a 3D blurry image via the PS3 (im using tekken tag tournament 2 which works perfectly with my passive 3DTV and passive glasses), but the Sony BR250 and nvidia 3D Vision 2 glasses just do absolutely nothing with this Sony Projector.

Projector settings
3D Settings
2D -> 3D Display Sel. : Auto (i have also tried 3D, simulated 3D, side by side, over-under)
3D Sync Output - Standard (have tried Option)

Things tried
- Cable from PS3 straight to Projector - http://store.sony.com/swivel-high-speed-hdmi-cable-zid27-DLCHE10V/cat-27-catid-All-TV-AV-Cables
- Updated PS3 to latest firmware
- PS3 detects 3DTV

I've tried sitting in multiple locations in the room, tried repositioning the projector in various places, nothing seems to make a difference.

Theres nothing i need to do to enable the IR emitter ?

Maybe as i live in New Zealand they only work with a particular type of 3D glasses?

I see Sony list the Sony TDG-PJ1 as a supported accessory .. but others are having success with the same ones im using?

This is driving me nuts mad.gif

If I am reading all this correctly, you are getting what seems to be 3D output onto the screen (3d blurry image). You have also tried two different pair of glasses - the Sony and the Nvida - and neither work.

I can only think of a few other things.

- Do those glasses work with another setup? I imagine the Nvida glasses should work with your PC monitor. If so, do both the Nvida and Sony glasses work with that setup?

- You can test the IR transmitter if you have a video camera with a viewfinder. Turn on the camera and point it at the IR emitter. When an IR signal it emitted you will see it as a flashing light in the viewfinder. (Try this on any IR remote while pressing a button to see an example.)

The BR250 glasses should work. I don't know about the Nvida glasses. It is _possible_ that the Nvida glasses are not compatible and the Sony glasses are not working. You really need to rule out the glasses before going through the hassle of sending back the projector. Do you have a Sony store or a retailer near you where you can try out the glasses on 3D content in-store?

Edited to add: the video camera trick to test an IR emitter will NOT work with an iPhone. Not sure why, but every video "camera" I have does. Use a working IR remote control to test it out with your camera before using it to verify another device is not working.
post #298 of 980 Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I really think you should pick up a cheap 3d player, a 3d movie (Best Buy & Target always have some on sale around $10) and verify. Much less hassle than boxing up a projector.
post #299 of 980 Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I really think you should pick up a cheap 3d player, a 3d movie (Best Buy & Target always have some on sale around $10) and verify. Much less hassle than boxing up a projector.

I'm not sure the point of buying another player, since the PS3 absolutely does 3D BluRay, and the fuzziness shows that the projector is going into 3D mode. It seems like either the glasses or the emitter is to blame.

post #300 of 980 Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

This advise make no sense. The projector *itself* has a 3d mode which puts a 3d menu on screen. This either works or not. Point. Why inducing a source, a media and a cable in the equation when the device itself, by design, can put a 3d image on screen?

Btw, the PS3 supports 3D since about 4 years, why buy another player. (wiki: System software update 3.30 has prepared PS3 for stereoscopic 3D gaming, while 3.50 prepared it for 3D films.)

Quite simply, if the image projected on screen is doubled, then it is 3D. From there, the lack of IR signal or faulty glasses should be looked at.

What I would suggest is to go get a pair of Sony PS3 3D glasses, which I know for a fact that they work perfectly with the projector and try them out. (they run for 9.95$ in Canada's best buy and future shop)

But before, I would make sure that the projector's IR emitter does reach the screen. I saw that in one mockup, there's a bed in between the pj and the screen. Here's what I would do, take the pj and move it to another room and use another wall with the pj on a table, on the edge of it with nothing between the lens and the screen.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page