SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 911 Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Because not infrequently people have problems with 3d from their computers or PS3 for a variety of reasons. A stand alone 3d player helps narrow down the cause of problems. If it still doesn't work, the player is easily returned. Better than returning the projector and finding out something else was the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 911 Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could I Quake in Linux in 3D?
post #303 of 911 Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

I enjoyed many hours of Quake when I was a much younger lass. Seems like ancient times now.
post #304 of 911 Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Liked: 12
Well my projector seems to be emitting IR from the transmitter, i can see a 12 grid IR emitter with my android camera - great sign :-)

I can only assume the Sony TDG-BR250 aren't compatible with this HW40ES even though Sony NZ have both told me that they aren't compatible, to being told by 3 different 'level 2 technicians' that they are. I don't think the glasses are faulty.

Unfortunately the Sony 3D Playstation 3 glasses don't exist here in NZ, and sony were unable to tell me any glasses that will work with the built in IR transmitter - or provide me any suppliers, quite poor to sell me a product then not be able to source accessories!

Have decided to source a bluetooth setup from XPAND, as Sony NZ are unable to supply the 3D emitter either. I could have just imported some of the cheap IR glasses from America, but figured if im paying international shipping fees i might as well go with better technology.

1x AD025-RF-X1
1x RJ45 to VESA adaptor
3x X105-RF-X1

Great result from XPAND, absolutely disgusting from Sony NZ ! Now i just have to wait for them to arrive
post #305 of 911 Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Didn't realize you were in NZ, so your options for product availability and testing are unknown to me. Good luck though.
post #306 of 911 Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have put 130 hours on this unit and so far it has impressed me more and more. i actually feel it has gotten sharper if that makes any sense. That being said, i will say that there is a little noise added to the picture, but it could be because i have 65ft of hdmi cable which is split into 30ft and then connected to a hdmi booster and then the other run is 35ft which makes the 65ft of hdmi. I am very impressed and well i just cant wait until the calibration settings arrive so i can try them.
post #307 of 911 Old 06-13-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Projector Central Review is up:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...tor_review.htm

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #308 of 911 Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
And that review seems to answer AV_Integrated's burning question - what are the relative benefits of the 5030 vs this projector:

"The bottom line is this: the Epson 5030UB is an excellent projector, and the HW40ES cannot match its placement flexibility or deep black levels in the darkest scenes. It is also the clear choice for 3D, with a faster refresh rate and superior built-in glasses technology. However, in 2D content of average or higher brightness, and in situations where the extreme edge of the zoom or lens shift are not needed, the HW40ES has a brighter and more detailed picture that gives the 5030UB a real run for its money."
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #309 of 911 Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by skater2 View Post
And that review seems to answer AV_Integrated's burning question - what are the relative benefits of the 5030 vs this projector:

"The bottom line is this: the Epson 5030UB is an excellent projector, and the HW40ES cannot match its placement flexibility or deep black levels in the darkest scenes. It is also the clear choice for 3D, with a faster refresh rate and superior built-in glasses technology. However, in 2D content of average or higher brightness, and in situations where the extreme edge of the zoom or lens shift are not needed, the HW40ES has a brighter and more detailed picture that gives the 5030UB a real run for its money."
I thought LCOS black level is always better than 3LCD?
post #310 of 911 Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I thought LCOS black level is always better than 3LCD?
Epson has dynamic iris, Sony HW40 does not hence the difference.
If compairing native contrast I would guess the two are quite the same if not slightly better on Sony.

Last edited by TMA1; 06-14-2014 at 01:05 AM.
post #311 of 911 Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The Sony should have better native contrast, but seems comparable to the 5030. It also is better for gaming with the lower input lag, is quieter, and is typically a bit brighter. In my case, I'm using a 161" screen, so something like this is far more in line with my actual needs.

It's the overall performance which seems to be a bit better in most areas that I like.

The comparison for lamp life seems silly given Epson's track record on this.

I'm also not sure they really gave it a fair shake on the 3D comparison considering most projectors operate 3D at 144hz in the DLP world with 24hz source material. It seemed like a 'paper' comparison instead of a real world head-to-head. That may be rectified at some point.

I'm glad they did the comparison, and as typical for PC, they were pretty non-committal on which is better. That's fine, they have a business to run and they've always been a go to source for many, for good reason.

If I were to buy a projector right now to replace my W1070, it would be the Sony I think.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #312 of 911 Old 06-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by skater2 View Post
And that review seems to answer AV_Integrated's burning question - what are the relative benefits of the 5030 vs this projector

Geoffrey himself recently voiced his opinion on the subject as well in his WC review of the Sony HW40ES ( http://www.thewirecutter.com/reviews...ome-projector/ ):

Quote:
The Epson 5030 is a very good projector, and side-by-side with the Sony (using a Monoprice 1×4 HDMI splitter), they both look excellent. However, the Sony is a little better looking, nearly as bright (or brighter, compared to the Epson’s most accurate mode), and much quieter. As such, we think it’s a better pick for most people. However, if you can’t get the Sony for whatever reason, you won’t be disappointed with the 5030.

Guess we'll see how Epson retaliates when/if they release their follow up later this year. But right now, it looks like the Sony takes the win in this category.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-14-2014 at 06:53 PM.
post #313 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #314 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 06:27 AM

post #315 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 AM

post #316 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 AM

Just repainted. These images are projected directly on the wall. Need to work on capturing better images, but these should give you an idea. Note that they look better in person.

post #317 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyGBobby View Post
Just repainted. These images are projected directly on the wall. Need to work on capturing better images, but these should give you an idea. Note that they look better in person.

You projected those images onto a wall with that color?^ that's impressive wow.

Do you think that a matte gray will project similar images?

Last edited by kevinlg; 06-15-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #318 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Can anyone tell me how to switch the bulb from normal to eco. I did not see it in the manual. There is a lamp setting in the menu but it asks u if the lamp has been replaced. Thnx for any response.
post #319 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Quote:

You projected those images onto a wall with that color?^ that's impressive wow.

Do you think that a matte gray will project similar images?
I don't see why not. Might even look better. Remember these are with the lights out. With the lights on it starts to wash out. Full on fluorescent lights a couple of feet away from the wall and it almost disappears. As long as your wall is smooth and you have a uniform paint job, you really can get away without a screen unless you plan on having quite a bit of ambient light on a regular viewing basis.
More pics to come...
kevinlg likes this.
post #320 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you looking for white screen try out the Glidden GLN-9000 Flat Interior Paint at Home depot. If you need a gray screen check out the Sherwin Williams Unique Gray paint flat.

post #321 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd7723 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to switch the bulb from normal to eco. I did not see it in the manual. There is a lamp setting in the menu but it asks u if the lamp has been replaced. Thnx for any response.
Go to:

Menu/Picture/Cinema Black Pro/Lamp Control/LOW(Eco) or HIGH

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #322 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
thanks for the color info guys! It seems like this may be going in the living room now instead of a proprietary room and the whole living room would look great in that matte grey that you posted, jsil.
post #323 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

After looking at those pictures I can say that this is gonna be my next projector. That's mean I'm gonna stay with the 40's (from VPL-VW40 to VPL-HW40ES)

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #324 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
If you looking for white screen try out the Glidden GLN-9000 Flat Interior Paint at Home depot. If you need a gray screen check out the Sherwin Williams Unique Gray paint flat.
I'm using Sherwin Williams ProClassic Satin Extra White. That would be my recommendation for a white. (Got the idea from ProjectorCentral.)

Also, while I'm posting, wanted to mention that I decided to try a neutral density filter on the HW40 (ND2 0.3), and the results are excellent. It makes the blacks slightly darker, and there's still plenty of "pop". It also reduces the shininess and makes the screen surface less visible, which helps a lot since I'm projecting on a wall. It's basically the equivalent of a manual iris without upgrading to the HW55.

This fits perfectly:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Polyester.html

Last edited by barleyguy; 06-15-2014 at 10:39 PM.
post #325 of 911 Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So does this projector project "up" when in it's normal position? Or does it project to the center point. I am assuming it still projects up, so that if its ceiling mounted the top of the image is close to the center of the lens. I cannot find any info on this. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
post #326 of 911 Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bass View Post
So does this projector project "up" when in it's normal position? Or does it project to the center point. I am assuming it still projects up, so that if its ceiling mounted the top of the image is close to the center of the lens. I cannot find any info on this. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
It has a lens shift of about 70% vertical and 25% horizontal I believe. So yes to answer your question.
post #327 of 911 Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
As Robby said, this projector has about 70% lens shift. It will project about 3 feet "up", about 3 feet "down", or anywhere in the center, depending on where you set the lens shift knob. It will also do a couple of feet to the left or right, but not if it's set for maximum up or down. The lens shift range is an oval, not a square.
post #328 of 911 Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
Quote:
As Robby said, this projector has about 70% lens shift. It will project about 3 feet "up", about 3 feet "down", or anywhere in the center, depending on where you set the lens shift knob. It will also do a couple of feet to the left or right, but not if it's set for maximum up or down. The lens shift range is an oval, not a square.
Right, but I am wondering what is considered "centered." If it's at the middle point both horizontally and vertically, is the image projected straight ahead or is it above the lens. I am assuming it is similar to my current BenQ where if its ceiling mounted the "center" will be projected cleanly on the wall as opposed to half of the image being on the ceiling by default. I hope I am asking that clearly. Just can't find the projector specs online it seems.
post #329 of 911 Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right, but I am wondering what is considered "centered." If it's at the middle point both horizontally and vertically, is the image projected straight ahead or is it above the lens. I am assuming it is similar to my current BenQ where if its ceiling mounted the "center" will be projected cleanly on the wall as opposed to half of the image being on the ceiling by default. I hope I am asking that clearly. Just can't find the projector specs online it seems.
I'm not sure. Will have to take a look at it when I get home. I don't remember where it was set at. I started adjusting it right out of the box. Mine is on a desk behind the couch, and if I move the lens up, most of the image ends up on the ceiling. Is your set up difficult?
post #330 of 911 Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure. Will have to take a look at it when I get home. I don't remember where it was set at. I started adjusting it right out of the box. Mine is on a desk behind the couch, and if I move the lens up, most of the image ends up on the ceiling. Is your set up difficult?
No, I wouldn't say it's difficult. Just wondering if I would be able to set it on a (sort of) high shelf sitting on it's feet and then move the image "down" into position. If I had to flip it and ceiling mount it, it might be a little more difficult because of the heavier weight than my BenQ W1070. Just thinking about it is all.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page