SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Member
 
subliminac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post

Has anyone who owns this projector noticed the poor panel uniformity mentioned in this review? I'm curious because this is the first time I've read a review with this criticism. In contrast hdtvtest.co.uk rated it as very good.
subliminac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
scotty144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: ottawa, ontario canada
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder how this projector would compare to the entry level JVC HD250 from a few years ago. I picked mine up for $2500 at the time.

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
scotty144 is offline  
post #393 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Member
 
RobbyGBobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post
Has anyone who owns this projector noticed the poor panel uniformity mentioned in this review? I'm curious because this is the first time I've read a review with this criticism. In contrast hdtvtest.co.uk rated it as very good.
I guess that is comparing it to the 55ES. To me it sounds like splitting hairs just like comparing black levels to more expensive models. I heard some chirping about panel alignment before I got mine and I was a little worried. This projector is sharp, make no mistake about it. I cant find anything to be disappointed about. There are always going to be people out there chasing perfection using equipment to find faults in every product. Instead of getting caught up in the numbers game, I have been enjoying movie after movie since I bought mine. More than exceeded my expectations.


This is the only review you need read. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/an-awesome-projector/
Marshall Mike likes this.
RobbyGBobby is offline  
post #394 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Member
 
MonkeyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Poor panel alignment sounds like a manufacturing defect to me
MonkeyK is offline  
post #395 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Member
 
subliminac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyK View Post
Poor panel alignment sounds like a manufacturing defect to me

Quite possible. I ask because I watch a lot of B&W content and if the panel alignment is poor there will be some very noticeable tinting to the image. Every LCD projector I've owned has had this issue to varying degrees.
subliminac is online now  
post #396 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post
Quite possible. I ask because I watch a lot of B&W content and if the panel alignment is poor there will be some very noticeable tinting to the image. Every LCD projector I've owned has had this issue to varying degrees.
The 55es and 4k Sony's I've seen have all had misaligned panels by several pixels, BUT the 40es has the standard fixing scheme with extra pixels and digital shifting to make use of them. So after a little work you'll only have at most half a pixel worth of misalignment. This should be well within the too small to notice spot of errors and it shouldn't be visible until you are a couple feet from a large screen.

Last edited by Ftoast; 06-24-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Ftoast is online now  
post #397 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
a1usedcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Janesville WI
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got a Sony VPL-HW40ES on the way and was wondering which glasses to get are the top of the line Sony worth the money at 129 each Sony TDG-PJ1 or is there a better option

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2

Last edited by a1usedcomp; 06-24-2014 at 08:27 AM.
a1usedcomp is offline  
post #398 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Newbie
 
Oakbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Was fortunate enough to bump into the $1999 Best Buy deal over the weekend (although the PJ has yet to ship).

FWIW those still looking for a 40ES at a discount from a reputable supplier may want to check out CDW

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SoN...R/3390755.aspx

I have had a good buying experiences with CDW on computers and peripherals, but have never used or considered them for AV components. I suspect their target market for this product is corporate conference rooms, etc.

Not a recommendation, just passing along the link. When I logged in to the CDW site with my user credentials, the price dropped another $75, presumably reflecting our corporate discount. Looks like shipping could be out a while.

Good luck.
Oakbrook is offline  
post #399 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
It's shipping straight from the sony warehouse, he put the order in for me with his wholesale account and the tracking states that.
Thanks for your concern.
Well you have been lied to. Sony does not ship straight from their warehouse directly to customers. As for accuracy of my information. Sony brought this post to my attention.
enricoclaudio likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #400 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Member
 
PJC Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyK View Post
Poor panel alignment sounds like a manufacturing defect to me
Could be. The HW40ES I reviewed did not have panel alignment issues, at least. I didn't mention that in the review because panel alignment is one of those things that I don't bring up unless it's a problem.
PJC Bill is offline  
post #401 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
ckong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post
I got a Sony VPL-HW40ES on the way and was wondering which glasses to get are the top of the line Sony worth the money at 129 each Sony TDG-PJ1 or is there a better option
Xpand lite IR works for me. Half the price of TDGPJ1.
ckong is offline  
post #402 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Smackrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post
Quite possible. I ask because I watch a lot of B&W content and if the panel alignment is poor there will be some very noticeable tinting to the image. Every LCD projector I've owned has had this issue to varying degrees.
It might just be the sample, it might be that the tolerance of the 40ES are lower than the 55ES. I just know on my two samples the 55ES was perfectly aligned while the 40ES was soft and needed adjustment. I've not had the best history with Sony projectors, as I needed replacement 55ES and 95ES review samples for lens issues, while the 50ES came in perfect. Once I have a working sample they are fantastic, and swapping one with an issue out for a new one isn't hard either.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Smackrabbit is offline  
post #403 of 653 Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Well you have been lied to. Sony does not ship straight from their warehouse directly to customers. As for accuracy of my information. Sony brought this post to my attention.
It's a complicated transaction that I do not feel the need to go out on a limb here and explain every detail. Long story short, projector has warranty for 2 years. Everything is good.

I installed the screen and entertainment center and wired it all today, expecting the projector to be here today(wednesday) or tomorrow.

Here is a pic of what it looks like all set up ( some wires will be hidden, too lazy to do a true 5.1 at the moment, I'm exhausted, the long wire is what's going into the PJ when it gets here.

kevinlg is offline  
post #404 of 653 Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
edved1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
It's a complicated transaction that I do not feel the need to go out on a limb here and explain every detail. Long story short, projector has warranty for 2 years. Everything is good.

I installed the screen and entertainment center and wired it all today, expecting the projector to be here today(wednesday) or tomorrow.

Here is a pic of what it looks like all set up ( some wires will be hidden, too lazy to do a true 5.1 at the moment, I'm exhausted, the long wire is what's going into the PJ when it gets here.

Lookin' sweet! What screen size and manufacturer is that?!
edved1 is offline  
post #405 of 653 Old 06-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Member
 
ericsilv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i got mine setup i revised the mount i made for my old panny ae900 and was good to go even though the projector was much bigger the new mounting holes fit were not further apart then my old projector so drilled new holes and was good. I have not had time yet to calibrate the picture was impressive watched a 3d movie and no issues i am using my hp screen ( 133 in) and the play station glasses work well and the projector is 17 ft away and the glasses sync to the back of the room at 23 ft i was glad i was randomly looking up best buy add Sunday and got in on the special deal
ericsilv is offline  
post #406 of 653 Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 View Post
Lookin' sweet! What screen size and manufacturer is that?!
Thanks! I'll take proper pictures with my DSLR, I took some panoramic shots of the before and after and I'm more than happy with the result with such little space I had to work with!

The screen is a Elite Cinegrey 5D which is loved by many "bargain" members here at AVS that don't like to pay more for the screen than the projector itself haha, especially when it delivers almost as good quality if not the same as a higher end model would. (in my humble opinion as well as many others who aren't hardcore videophiles)

It's 100 inches, so it's a good size for sure!

Here's another "artsy" shot hah

kevinlg is offline  
post #407 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Well you have been lied to. Sony does not ship straight from their warehouse directly to customers. As for accuracy of my information. Sony brought this post to my attention.
It's a complicated transaction that I do not feel the need to go out on a limb here and explain every detail. Long story short, projector has warranty for 2 years. Everything is good.
I don't think the mods were trying be snarky in bringing Sony's notification to your attention: I think it was more intended as a bit of caution to other potential buyers looking for good deals. Most people here see the words 'complicated transaction' and 'ebay' in the same context and get a little nervous

If you do end up doing anything warranty-related with your projector once it's arrived, it might be useful to others if you share such experiences.


The real question, of course, is Sony's rationale against discounting. I've seen time and time again, popular projectors go on sale from a specific store, it generates buzz, causes a spike of impulse-purchases that then drives sales up further and increases market penetration.
I can't see why a manufacturer wouldn't want this kind of scenario. It doesn't decrease their profit margins; the reseller is the one cutting margins. On the contrary; the manufacturer actually gains.
So then is this an image thing? (Sony doesn't want their products to be considered 'cheap')? Or are they trying to conceal cost-to-reseller? Or are they protecting resellers?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
I installed the screen and entertainment center and wired it all today, expecting the projector to be here today(wednesday) or tomorrow.

Here is a pic of what it looks like all set up ( some wires will be hidden, too lazy to do a true 5.1 at the moment, I'm exhausted, the long wire is what's going into the PJ when it gets here.

Very nice screen! Now all you need to do is convince your significant other to let you re-paint the room: the Sony's excellent contrast ratio is going to go to waste somewhat, due to reflected light from the walls/ceiling: the screen lights up those surfaces; this light then blows back onto the screen and significantly increases the black level; dropping contrast. Since your screen is close to the ceiling, maybe darkening that could be a first-step.

Otherwise, that screen is just spectacular. At first glance it literally just looks like a 'Giant TV'. Elite knows what they're doing.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-26-2014 at 06:10 AM.
kreeturez is offline  
post #408 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
where can you buy this projector in the US? I'm looking around and all I see is ebay.


EDIT: I'm still reading this entire thread (about halfway through). I'm likely buying an Elite Screens 120 Inch 16:9 SableFrame CineWhite. Am I on the right track for a good combination or should I be going elsewhere? I'm not looking to go beyond $3000 for both screen and projector at this point.

From what I've read around the web and this thread...

Epson 5030 (or whichever it's direct competition was) seemed to be a bit lower on image quality and not as quiet.

JVC X35 darker on black levels but it seemed a bit more expensive and I don't have the best light control so forget it.

Lastly, I'm still needing to get thick curtains before I'm done to control lighting but this is at it's WORST without that in the middle of the morning. I'm thinking I should be good throwing up either dark curtains or just nail on some plywood over those windows and then throw curtain. I'm not too interested in repainting the room but if I have to down the road, I will. If I'm not going to paint the room am I better with a cheaper projector like the BenQ? I really like the frame interpolation available on the Sony over BenQ.

See photos...

Help...!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140626_094118.jpg (295.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140626_094240.jpg (282.0 KB, 29 views)

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?

Last edited by Nosferatu; 06-26-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Nosferatu is offline  
post #409 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You can contact Mike or Craig here at AVS. AVS is an authorized SONY dealer and they have the HW40ES in stock and ready to ship.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
post #410 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sonyad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
They're at Best Buy also. Seems like the second round of shipments are coming in.
Sonyad is online now  
post #411 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Member
 
flight planner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanna-be projection owner needs advice.

I've been lurking here for a while getting a great education thanks to all of you knowledgeable guys.

Have been an HDTV owner for many years starting with a 52" Sony rear-projection in 2000 that weighed about 300 pounds to my current Sony 52" XBR4 which has a super picture and was Sony's flagship model in 2007.

Been researching the new Sharp Q+ 80" TVs to give me a step up from my 52" Sony.

Then I started looking at the space I have and started wondering about an even bigger screen.

That brought me to this thread and a whole new concept and learning experience.

And trying to learn all the new terminology of projection is a real challenge.

Now I'm really liking what I read about this new Sony 40ES.

And now comes my confusion.

My room will be my living room not a dedicated theater and I can open/close blinds to assist my viewing.

The placement of the projector would be a wall mount about 4' feet behind the seating area.

The opposite wall for the screen is 22' away from the projector or 18' from the seating.

I have plenty of room on the screen wall for a 96" x 54" screen.

When I plug the numbers of screen size and throw distance (room width) into the seemingly often used projection calculator it tells me that I can only have a throw range of 17' 11" to 28' 6" and need a diagonal screen size of 181".

So do I have to make the screen wall bigger or move the walls closer together? <G>

Am I using the calculator all wrong or what am I missing?

I really feel out of my comfort zone but want to "go big" and am now stuck in my plans.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
flight planner is offline  
post #412 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight planner View Post
I've been lurking here for a while getting a great education thanks to all of you knowledgeable guys.

Have been an HDTV owner for many years starting with a 52" Sony rear-projection in 2000 that weighed about 300 pounds to my current Sony 52" XBR4 which has a super picture and was Sony's flagship model in 2007.

Been researching the new Sharp Q+ 80" TVs to give me a step up from my 52" Sony.

Then I started looking at the space I have and started wondering about an even bigger screen.

That brought me to this thread and a whole new concept and learning experience.

And trying to learn all the new terminology of projection is a real challenge.

Now I'm really liking what I read about this new Sony 40ES.

And now comes my confusion.

My room will be my living room not a dedicated theater and I can open/close blinds to assist my viewing.

The placement of the projector would be a wall mount about 4' feet behind the seating area.

The opposite wall for the screen is 22' away from the projector or 18' from the seating.

I have plenty of room on the screen wall for a 96" x 54" screen.

When I plug the numbers of screen size and throw distance (room width) into the seemingly often used projection calculator it tells me that I can only have a throw range of 17' 11" to 28' 6" and need a diagonal screen size of 181".

So do I have to make the screen wall bigger or move the walls closer together? <G>

Am I using the calculator all wrong or what am I missing?

I really feel out of my comfort zone but want to "go big" and am now stuck in my plans.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Can you ceiling mount the projector? Why shelf mount it? Also, your seating is 18 feet from the screen? I sit 12' 6" from a 120" diagonal screen. 18' is way too far away. Call me if you want to pick my brain - I've built 3 home theaters. Or, try looking in the Home Theater Meets section of the forum to find forum members with theaters in your area - there's nothing like talking to someone who has built a theater and will show you the ins and outs in person!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #413 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Member
 
barleyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Can you ceiling mount the projector? Why shelf mount it? Also, your seating is 18 feet from the screen? I sit 12' 6" from a 120" diagonal screen. 18' is way too far away. Call me if you want to pick my brain - I've built 3 home theaters. Or, try looking in the Home Theater Meets section of the forum to find forum members with theaters in your area - there's nothing like talking to someone who has built a theater and will show you the ins and outs in person!!
Seating distance is personal preference. I sit about 18 feet from a 95-inch screen, and it's that way intentionally (I'm on my 6th projector since 1996). In a previous house I sat about 13 feet from a 106-inch screen and found it fatiguing, to the point where I would only use my projector for special occasions. If you tend to sit near the back row of the theater when you go to see movies, 12' 6" from a 120" screen is way too close.

(I agree on the ceiling mount BTW. That is the practical choice for that size room.)
barleyguy is offline  
post #414 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
edved1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Thanks! I'll take proper pictures with my DSLR, I took some panoramic shots of the before and after and I'm more than happy with the result with such little space I had to work with!

The screen is a Elite Cinegrey 5D which is loved by many "bargain" members here at AVS that don't like to pay more for the screen than the projector itself haha, especially when it delivers almost as good quality if not the same as a higher end model would. (in my humble opinion as well as many others who aren't hardcore videophiles)

It's 100 inches, so it's a good size for sure!

Here's another "artsy" shot hah

It looks f***ing awesome!
edved1 is offline  
post #415 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Member
 
jrm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
Seating distance is personal preference. I sit about 18 feet from a 95-inch screen, and it's that way intentionally (I'm on my 6th projector since 1996). In a previous house I sat about 13 feet from a 106-inch screen and found it fatiguing, to the point where I would only use my projector for special occasions. If you tend to sit near the back row of the theater when you go to see movies, 12' 6" from a 120" screen is way too close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Can you ceiling mount the projector? Why shelf mount it? Also, your seating is 18 feet from the screen? I sit 12' 6" from a 120" diagonal screen. 18' is way too far away.

They are both right. You can go by the charts and calculators, but they only provide a guide. It really comes down to personal preference.

I just set up my system. I have a 126" diagonal 16:9 screen with about a 12 ft viewing distance.

My plan was to go with a smaller screen, but once I connected the projector I realized that the larger size was right for me.

Many suggest getting your projector connected first and testing on the wall. This will allow you to project at various sizes before you commit to a screen. Craig will probably also tell you this is a good idea (at least that's what he told me).
jrm21 is offline  
post #416 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Member
 
flight planner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After writing in earlier and receiving an invitation to call him, I spoke with Craig Peer and learned lots more about my dilemma.

I can't ceiling mount the projector due to a ceiling fan in the middle of the room.

Craig ran my room dimensions and seating distance through his algorithms and told me that the Sony will not choke down to an image at that distance to fit a 110" screen.

We discussed the Epson 5030UB which he said would be a good match for my room and a good price/performance projector.

So I am going to look into the Epson instead of the Sony.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and especially Craig for his personal touch.

Jim
flight planner is offline  
post #417 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight planner View Post
After writing in earlier and receiving an invitation to call him, I spoke with Craig Peer and learned lots more about my dilemma.

I can't ceiling mount the projector due to a ceiling fan in the middle of the room.

Craig ran my room dimensions and seating distance through his algorithms and told me that the Sony will not choke down to an image at that distance to fit a 110" screen.

We discussed the Epson 5030UB which he said would be a good match for my room and a good price/performance projector.

So I am going to look into the Epson instead of the Sony.

Thanks for your thoughts on this and especially Craig for his personal touch.

Jim
My projector is RIGHT in front of a ceiling fan, believe it or not, it doesn't hurt the image at all somehow due to lens shift

Anyways, here are some shots of it all set up, my cinegrey 5D causes a bit of hot spotting, I need to figure all that out. it's only noticeable when you look for it.

Also some arrival shots lol









blacks are amazing in low ambient light!





mishari84 and RobbyGBobby like this.
kevinlg is offline  
post #418 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Great Job Kevin. My hands are clapping in applause.
ben38 is online now  
post #419 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEHiCKA View Post
I can confirm Estar/Optoma combo 3D RF transmitter/glasses works perfectly with the simple DIY cable made from an old network patch cable. No voltage regulation is needed, internal regulator in the transmitter rated up to 24V.
what is this combo??? Can the Estar glasses just work with Sony's solution?

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Nosferatu is offline  
post #420 of 653 Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Great Job Kevin. My hands are clapping in applause.
Thanks! I followed your exact instructions and there is a very small hotspot that you can BARELY see, it looks drop dead gorgeous at night.
kevinlg is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off