SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 970 Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Year/trim/color please

Currently running a swapped STI. FP HTA Green, 1000cc IDs, Cosworth SB swap, catless everything, externally gated, bigger everything (fuel pump, rails, regulator, intercooler, etc etc etc). I blew a ringland somehow and instead of swapping in an OEM SB and trading the car in I built it. Currently 398hp/409tq on a Mustang. Runs mid-high 11s at 30lbs of boost. Have about 19K into the motor/tuning and about another 5K into the suspension and exterior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Yeah I have a 5.0 with bolt-ons and instead of going twin turbo I decided to buy a projector/sound system/gaming desktop instead

Here's my baby that runs high 11s! 433rwhp which is 500hp+ at the crank
Sweet rides to both of ya! Since more than one person asked, I'll briefly say it's an 2010 3LT LS3 6 speed manual fully optioned out. Put down 428rwhp/445rwtq off custom tune and headers only. Has some suspension work. Handles like a dream. Zero body roll. On old tune street tires 1.8 60' 11.7 @ 122mph

kevinlg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Is that breaking bad off Netflix or a bluray?

Nice looking stang. You should boost it. I'd go twin screw Kenny Bell supercharger before twin turbo. There is more support for superchargers and besides... on the stock block you can maybe support 15psi... why throw something that is overkill on there? Even a single screw supercharger at 8psi will be more responsive than the latter. Keeping traction on the pavement is more important than overall power. If you have 700 ponies but spin rubber then there is no point having 700hp besides having an expensive tire shredder.

I can talk about cars all day. But I digress...

If my PJ setup turns out anything like yours I'll be a happy man.
Thank you sir, this is my temp set up until I move in September. It's off netflix but looks stunning when streaming in HD! Pics don't do it justice. I'm actually going twin turbo next year, about 4-5psi and I'll do low 600s to the wheels!
post #513 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Why TT when a single or even a twin screw supercharger at 5psi is faster to spool? Just curious.

I'm about to order my screen material but I honestly have non idea of I want FlexiWhite or just blackout cloth.

Flexiwhite has a 1.1 gain and blackout is 1.0

Don't know what I should do. I'll probably go flexiwhite in all honesty. Was looking at their gray screen but Idk...
post #514 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Why TT when a single or even a twin screw supercharger at 5psi is faster to spool? Just curious.

I'm about to order my screen material but I honestly have non idea of I want FlexiWhite or just blackout cloth.

Don't know what I should do. I'll probably go flexiwhite in all honesty. Was looking at their gray screen but Idk...
Depends on the room set-up, mind telling us a bit about it?

TTs work better for my car, or a vortech procharger.
post #515 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have a ProGray screen coming from Carl's today. I wanted something I could easily hang on the wall and for it to be as invisible as possible when it's off. (The Flexiwhite and Flexigray have to be stretched.)

I'm currently using the wall, with special white paint. The color and contrast is excellent, but the eggshell texture in the wall is noticible in bright scenes, so I decided to hang a screen. If I like the ProGray I'm sticking with that. If I don't I'm going to paint it, which will give me the advantages of the white paint without the texture of the wall.

I can report back on how it works specifically with the HW40.

(BTW, if you're going to continue the car discussion can you make a new thread in the off-topic forum?)

Last edited by barleyguy; 07-03-2014 at 07:16 AM.
post #516 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Depends on the room set-up, mind telling us a bit about it?

TTs work better for my car, or a vortech procharger.
Basement room:

Ambient light from small windows. This is exaggerated by the walls being polished wood boards. So the reflective light is going to be bad. However, down the road I am mitigating this with some fabric and other materials to keep reflective light low. Doing this on all walls and ceiling.

For the most part I don't suspect the ambient light being a problem. It is very controllable. I would classify the room as low light/no light with assistance from curtains. Reflective light from the PJ will be minimal in a couple months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
I have a ProGray screen coming from Carl's today. I wanted something I could easily hang on the wall and for it to be as invisible as possible when it's off. (The Flexiwhite and Flexigray have to be stretched.)

I'm currently using the wall, with special white paint. The color and contrast is exccellent, but the eggshell texture in the wall is noticible in bright scenes, so I decided to hang a screen. If I like the ProGray I'm sticking with that. If I don't I'm going to paint it, which will give me the advantages of the white paint without the texture of the wall.

I can report back on how it work specifically with the HW40.

(BTW, if you're going to continue the car discussion can you make a new thread in the off-topic forum?)
Definitely report back. Also I don't think getting to know other owners in a specific thread is a bad idea. There is what... 5 posts about cars. It hasn't been two pages of OT. That and maybe starting a GDT in this forum is great. The other forum I use allows each subsection to have a GDT for people to BS. Who wants to talk about PJs all day long? Why not get to know each other a little? Makes it more fun.

To keep it on topic: projector... that is all.
post #517 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Stay on topic.

The odd post is fine but don't continue to derail the thread.

Thx

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #518 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post
Stay on topic.

Thx
just for a small second we did. It'll stay on topic. I've got plenty of learning with this projector

Anyways, anyone have any good suggestions on black out material for windows to kill the light coming through?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #519 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
just for a small second we did. It'll stay on topic. I've got plenty of learning with this projector

Anyways, anyone have any good suggestions on black out material for windows to kill the light coming through?
Yeah I only made it part of my post!

Black out velvet drapes is what I currently use, they sound ugly but they're not when you get a color that's not "movie theater red"

Here's my suggestion

http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/signa...ns-drapes.html
post #520 of 970 Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe some of you who have seen this thing in action can help me with a dilemma.

I have a bad set up for contrast. Miami, FL apartment - white ceiling, light walls, sliding doors next to the screen. Our lifestyle doesn't have us viewing much in the daytime, and at night its easy remove any ambient light.

A while back I picked up an Epson 8350 B-stock which I have never been quite satisfied with. I had a Panasonic AX200u that I loved and the Epson was really a minor upgrade. I have been wanting to step up to the next level of PQ for a while, and really gain a bump in contrast. Is the fact that I have a terrible room going to negate the benefits of this projector completely?

With all of the lights out, if I put my hand in front of a black section of the screen, there is a huge difference in black level that the projector is giving me and what is possible with the ambient light, so I think there is some room for progress.

Any thoughts?
post #521 of 970 Old 07-04-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
For sale at Crutchfield with their 60 days money back guarantee.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158HW40...w40es&skipvs=T

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #522 of 970 Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post
Stay on topic.

Thx
I'll do my best

EDIT:

FedEx wont leave my PJ inside the secured building at my girlfriends apartment. She is going to try to receive it but she has a couple appointments that may prohibit her from being there. To make it worse... FedEx isnt allowing her to sign the door tab for them to leave it AND they are not allowing her to have the package left at a facility.

So pissed about it. Going to call them more than likely...
post #523 of 970 Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

FedEx wont leave my PJ inside the secured building at my girlfriends apartment. She is going to try to receive it but she has a couple appointments that may prohibit her from being there. To make it worse... FedEx isnt allowing her to sign the door tab for them to leave it AND they are not allowing her to have the package left at a facility.

So pissed about it. Going to call them more than likely...
Whoever sent your package tagged it as "direct signature required". That means that you have to sign for it, period. If it's tagged "indirect signature" or "no signature" they can leave it. But nobody else can pick it up at a facility in any case. Do you really want other people to be able to go to FedEx and pick up a package with your name on it?

This isn't FedEx's fault. They are doing what the person you bought it from asked them to.
post #524 of 970 Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Anyone else is having problems getting their projector to focus I cant get the top left to come into focus if I'm using max lens zoom to get a 115 inch image the bottom left is fine but when text is up at the top left like the input menu is just looks blurry.

projecting from about 12ft away.

Last edited by coopson; 07-05-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #525 of 970 Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Never mind was using to much lens shift when I put it in its permanent position I'll try to get it dead center.
post #526 of 970 Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post
Never mind was using to much lens shift when I put it in its permanent position I'll try to get it dead center.

I went from a Epson 8350 to the Sony 40 and also had to move my mount over 16" I
couldn't get enough lens shift

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #527 of 970 Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
Whoever sent your package tagged it as "direct signature required". That means that you have to sign for it, period. If it's tagged "indirect signature" or "no signature" they can leave it. But nobody else can pick it up at a facility in any case. Do you really want other people to be able to go to FedEx and pick up a package with your name on it?

This isn't FedEx's fault. They are doing what the person you bought it from asked them to.
direct signature required cant blame the sender for covering his ass either to many scams going on

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #528 of 970 Old 07-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post
I went from a Epson 8350 to the Sony 40 and also had to move my mount over 16" I
couldn't get enough lens shift
a1usedcomp, I'm currently using the 8350 and thinking of upgrading to the 40. How would you compare the two projectors? Enjoying the new Sony?
post #529 of 970 Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post
Anyone else is having problems getting their projector to focus I cant get the top left to come into focus if I'm using max lens zoom to get a 115 inch image the bottom left is fine but when text is up at the top left like the input menu is just looks blurry.

projecting from about 12ft away.
My review unit is about 18" off center horizontal but on center vertical, about 12 feet from a 110" diagonal screen and I had no problem centering the image with sharp focus in all corners.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review
post #530 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
a1usedcomp, I'm currently using the 8350 and thinking of upgrading to the 40. How would you compare the two projectors? Enjoying the new Sony?
I dont really see how this is a scam. I paid for the unit. The only possible case would be that a person would claim they never received the unit and they would have to be reimbursed.

I guess the worst case scenario is that I have to pay to have it shipped for a second time. I hope it getting tossed around a bunch doesnt break the damn thing....
post #531 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cruce View Post
My review unit is about 18" off center horizontal but on center vertical, about 12 feet from a 110" diagonal screen and I had no problem centering the image with sharp focus in all corners.
Well when I used max vertical lens shift up with max lens zoom the top left was blurry also all the corners were a little darker too could only be seen on full screen colors none of that matter however because I'm going to be able to get it dead center when I put it in its permanent place.
post #532 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does this Sony support 3D glasses made by Samsung and Panasonic?
post #533 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Anyone know how long the sale is going on for?
post #534 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
Does this Sony support 3D glasses made by Samsung and Panasonic?
I'd also like to confirm do the Playstation 3 3D glasses work with this unit?

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #535 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I'd also like to confirm do the Playstation 3 3D glasses work with this unit?
I can confirm that they work. I watched Lego movie 3d last night with the ps3 glasses.
post #536 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety View Post
I can confirm that they work. I watched Lego movie 3d last night with the ps3 glasses.
cool I bought two. How good is the reception (while I await for them to arrive)? I'm ceiling mounting the projector inverted. Should that be an issue?

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #537 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post
Anyone know how long the sale is going on for?
July 12, I think.
post #538 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No issues at all. I have a dedicated room that is 14 ft wide by 30 ft long with the projector mounted at about the 16 foot mark. I moved around the room and even left the room altogether without any sync issues. I believe another owner stated the same thing earlier in this thread, so that is at least 2 owners that have this projector with the PS3 glasses.
post #539 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 06:56 PM

Hi, what 3d glasses are great quality,light an inexpensive, under $200 pair for sony40es
post #540 of 970 Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM

Picked up my Sony projector on Saturday and wow, does it rock. Had some lag issues in the beginning but made an adjustment and it is outstanding. And this is just on a black wall. My 106" monopolize screen should be here Wednesday, and new monitor audio speakers on Friday. Hopefully I will enjoy some movies on the weekends.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page