SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1809 Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any word on whether the Samsung and Panasonic glasses work with this? if so I'll pull the trigger...have 10 of those glasses which I'd rather not get rid of...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
Any word on whether the Samsung and Panasonic glasses work with this? if so I'll pull the trigger...have 10 of those glasses which I'd rather not get rid of...thanks!
I assume you have the newer RF ones from the past couple years? If so, these will not work as this uses IR.

There is a method outlined here where I believe you can make it work with RF glasses.

I really wish there was an easy way to use RF glasses with this too as I have 6 pairs of the Panasonics.

post #543 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM
GMC

Liked: 10
Question Just placed an order, now I need the remote codes for RS232

Anyone kmow where to get the code for the wired remote connection?
post #544 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I'd also like to confirm do the Playstation 3 3D glasses work with this unit?
Yes. The PS3 3D glasses work fine with this projector "out of the box." No additional hardware required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I assume you have the newer RF ones from the past couple years? If so, these will not work as this uses IR.

There is a method outlined here where I believe you can make it work with RF glasses.

I really wish there was an easy way to use RF glasses with this too as I have 6 pairs of the Panasonics.

Look at the Xpand unit. (I have no connection with the company). They make a unit that will output RF from the Sony instead of IR. I believe it is $195. You can use their glasses and I am sure most standard RF glasses will work.

They can also sell you the cable needed (converts the RF-45 to the plug needed for the RF emitter). I imagine you can build your own (as described in the link) but it seems less hassle to buy it from Xpand for $45.

I was considering the RF route, but the built-in IR is working well for me. Of course, if I had a cache of RF glasses, it would make the conversion more attractive.
post #545 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Yes I have the latest models from last year. Bought 5 of each, so 10 total.

Isn't there a Sony adapter that they sell for $75 for emitting RF for these glasses? let me know...the projector is enticing but if the glasses don't work, not worth spending $600+ for a new set....
post #546 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Isn't there a Sony adapter that they sell for $75 for emitting RF for these glasses? let me know...the projector is enticing but if the glasses don't work, not worth spending $600+ for a new set....
You can buy a RF emitter its not cheap however.
post #547 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Xpand 105
only 19$ for 1 pair of glasses and 1 emitter. this is very good deal and proven to be best.
post #548 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:

The sony cable is $75. The emitter itself is more... from what I can tell, Sony does not offer the RF emitter in the US market but it seems to be available overseas. In the US, the Xpand unit appears to be the same thing. Either way, you still need the separate adaptor cable to connect the RF unit to the HW40.
post #549 of 1809 Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Xpand 105
only 19$ for 1 pair of glasses and 1 emitter. this is very good deal and proven to be best.
are you sure that works with the Sony HW40 projector?
post #550 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This is looking like a good option for my new setup. Any opinions on a screen with this PJ for my room which will be 120", 16' throw and there is a window and door about 20' behind the PJ. I will be able to pull the black out curtains for movies, but for sports, I will have light, so i need the best of both worlds. So probably a high gain screen like 1.4?
post #551 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 164
This is the compatible Sony IR emitter. I have my doubts on the Xpand one working, as it appears to have a different connector. I'm not sure though, just a guess on my part.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-wir...2102&cp=1&lp=1

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #552 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
The sony cable is $75. The emitter itself is more... from what I can tell, Sony does not offer the RF emitter in the US market but it seems to be available overseas. In the US, the Xpand unit appears to be the same thing. Either way, you still need the separate adaptor cable to connect the RF unit to the HW40.
Its the same xpand here in the UK but you get the cable with it.
post #553 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post
This is looking like a good option for my new setup. Any opinions on a screen with this PJ for my room which will be 120", 16' throw and there is a window and door about 20' behind the PJ. I will be able to pull the black out curtains for movies, but for sports, I will have light, so i need the best of both worlds. So probably a high gain screen like 1.4?
do what I did and that's project on a wall without a screen first. This helps accomplish two things

1.) Gets you an idea of what size really works best

2.) Gets you an idea of how well the projector works in your room setup.

Call me nuts, but after playing mine on my wall I've come to two conclusions. One, I grossly UNDERESTIMATED the size of the screen I wanted. I sit about 15 feet back and the projector is about 17 feet back. I thought maybe 110-120" in size would cut it. I'm now working at 150" and love it more than any other size. Also, the wall actually works as a pretty damn good screen. I'm in no rush to get a screen at the moment.
Ftoast likes this.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #554 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
This is the compatible Sony IR emitter. I have my doubts on the Xpand one working, as it appears to have a different connector. I'm not sure though, just a guess on my part.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-wir...2102&cp=1&lp=1
That IS NOT the RF transmitter. That one is IR, just like the one that's built in. All it will do is extend the range. It won't work with the Samsung and Panasonic glasses.

As other people have said, the XPand unit with the custom cable has been said to work with both the Sony projector and the RF glasses.
post #555 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Can those of you that have this projector already, comment on its black level performance.
This review puts one Con as: "Not the best for black level" whatever that means?
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-v...ojector_review

Thanks
post #556 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
That IS NOT the RF transmitter. That one is IR, just like the one that's built in. All it will do is extend the range. It won't work with the Samsung and Panasonic glasses.

As other people have said, the XPand unit with the custom cable has been said to work with both the Sony projector and the RF glasses.
Yes, I said that it was an IR emitter in my post. Did you read it?

Quick question on the Xpand though, how does it connect to the Sony?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #557 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
do what I did and that's project on a wall without a screen first. This helps accomplish two things

Call me nuts, but after playing mine on my wall I've come to two conclusions. One, I grossly UNDERESTIMATED the size of the screen I wanted. I sit about 15 feet back and the projector is about 17 feet back. I thought maybe 110-120" in size would cut it. I'm now working at 150" and love it more than any other size. Also, the wall actually works as a pretty damn good screen. I'm in no rush to get a screen at the moment.
Im doing 16x9, so 120 is my max with only 9 foot ceilings, a stage and soffit.
post #558 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post
Im doing 16x9, so 120 is my max with only 9 foot ceilings, a stage and soffit.
It still can be done. Similar height room. Here's a movie in 1.78:1 (16:9) ratio followed by 2.35:1 ratio. I had the lights on to take the photo with crappy cell phone. Just to give you an idea you can still have room height and have it where the speakers don't get in the way. Just saying...play with the projector without a screen first then go for a screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140701_022738.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	153321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140701_034227.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	153329  

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #559 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
Yes, I said that it was an IR emitter in my post. Did you read it?

Quick question on the Xpand though, how does it connect to the Sony?
Yes I read it. But it was in reply to someone looking for an RF emitter for Samsung and Panasonic glasses, and it doesn't do that, so I thought it was confusing. I didn't want someone to buy it thinking it will work with those glasses when it won't.

The XPand needs a custom cable to connect to the Sony. It uses the RJ45 (ethernet style) port on the projector. XPand will make the custom cable for an extra charge, or a regular ethernet cable can be soldered to the emitter.
post #560 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
Can those of you that have this projector already, comment on its black level performance.
This review puts one Con as: "Not the best for black level" whatever that means?
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-v...ojector_review

Thanks
In my opinion the black level is excellent. A couple of reviews have commented that it would benefit from a manual iris, but the same thing can be accomplished with a neutral density filter, with the added benefit of reducing reflectance. I was using an ND2 filter on mine and liked it, but switched to a gray screen so removed the filter, as the gray screen accomplishes the same thing in regard to black levels.

-------------------

Speaking of screens, I installed the ProGray screen from Carl's on Thursday. I really like it. It has lots of "pop", and the color balance seems good. I did have to change the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings on the projector when going from white to gray (up a little on brightness, gamma at 2.0, and down a little on contrast to make up for the brighter gamma), which implies that I'm losing some dynamic range, but overall the picture quality is really good.

In a dark cave environment, a white screen is still preferable, with an ND filter if desired, but in my living room environment I'm glad I went with the gray. It makes the projector enjoyable in the daytime with just normal curtains, and even better at night.
post #561 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I'm having a similar experience using a 9'x12' drop cloth from the hardware store as a prototype AT screen.
My wife is wondering why I need to budget $700 for a screen.
post #562 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
The XPand needs a custom cable to connect to the Sony. It uses the RJ45 (ethernet style) port on the projector. XPand will make the custom cable for an extra charge, or a regular ethernet cable can be soldered to the emitter.
Good to know. That sounds like a decent solution I guess, if they are willing to make the cable for you. Kind of a miss though with Sony not doing this.

Thanks for the info.

post #563 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:

The above advice should be heeded.

I was SURE what size screen I wanted until I projected on the wall. Then I realized that I would be much happier with a larger screen.

I have 9.5 ft ceilings with about 135" available width for a screen (wall is wider but a soffit is in the way). Planned seating distance is about 12ft. My plan was to go with a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen.

Then I tested the projector on the wall.

Took me about 5 minutes to realize I wanted a bigger screen. I ended up going with a 120" wide screen which is giving me about 139" diagonal on a 16:9 image. The extra size also gives me a much more pleasing 2.35 image.

YMMV - that's why it is better to try watching at different sizes before locking yourself into a screen size.
post #564 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guys, need some help. I just install my projector, ceiling mount. Approximate 7" from the ceiling. The throw is 13.5' from the front of the projector to my screen. I am projecting to my wall until my screen arrives tomorrow. I have an issue with the keystone. It is set to the max of -30 and there is still the keystone effect. I have to have to move the projector almost straight to eliminate the effect, which I can not because the top of my screen has to be 10" from the ceiling. Is there another adjustment I can make to fix the keystone issue? Any suggestions? I really don't want to lower the projector any more because of my low ceiling height. Any help would be great.
post #565 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiewi View Post
Guys, need some help. I just install my projector, ceiling mount. Approximate 7" from the ceiling. The throw is 13.5' from the front of the projector to my screen. I am projecting to my wall until my screen arrives tomorrow. I have an issue with the keystone. It is set to the max of -30 and there is still the keystone effect. I have to have to move the projector almost straight to eliminate the effect, which I can not because the top of my screen has to be 10" from the ceiling. Is there another adjustment I can make to fix the keystone issue? Any suggestions? I really don't want to lower the projector any more because of my low ceiling height. Any help would be great.
Doesn't sound right. I have mine ceiling mounted. No "drop"... the mount puts the lens about 7" from the ceiling, similar to yours. I am projecting from 16', but that shouldn't matter.

Make sure your projector is parallel to the ceiling/perpendicular to the wall. It should be "level." It sounds like you are tilting the entire projector to place the image on the wall, which is not correct. You adjust the "up and down" with the tilt shift. Try that and set keystone to "0" or none.

This projector has more than enough vertical lens shift to accommodate your setup. Vertical and Horizontal shift are the physical dials near the front of the unit (I think they are grey) next to the lens. They are not menu items.

Here is a diagram to better explain what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	153521  
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #566 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiewi View Post
It reads like you have not yet discovered the lens shift...
post #567 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Doesn't sound right. I have mine ceiling mounted. No "drop"... the mount puts the lens about 7" from the ceiling, similar to yours. I am projecting from 16', but that shouldn't matter.

Make sure your projector is parallel to the ceiling/perpendicular to the wall. It should be "level." It sounds like you are tilting the entire projector to place the image on the wall, which is not correct. You adjust the "up and down" with the tilt shift. Try that and set keystone to "0" or none.

This projector has more than enough vertical lens shift to accommodate your setup. Vertical and Horizontal shift are the physical dials near the front of the unit (I think they are grey) next to the lens. They are not menu items.

Here is a diagram to better explain what I mean:

Thank you very much. Set it up as explained and it is perfect. Thanks again. Great forum.
post #568 of 1809 Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks barleyguy

I should add that I am considering going to this digital from a Sony G70 CRT.
Hence, my concern about black levels.
post #569 of 1809 Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for that jrm21! That's a great illustration. I checked the level on mine and sure enough, it was just slightly off.

Last edited by edved1; 07-09-2014 at 03:44 AM.
post #570 of 1809 Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Home Cinema is in Beta stage and operational. Check out my signature link. This projector is a beast!!!

Home Cinema 1.0

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page